Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast
    College superstar

Default Re: What is the best duo ever in basketball?

Quote Originally Posted by necya
    Sahq-Kobe ? i don't see them as a duo, they had no chemistry !? how a duo can hate on each other like these 2 guys ? i would rather have Shaq-Penny duo.
    Their chemistry was fine when their egos where in check. How can they have no chemistry yet dominate the way they did together? How can they have no chemistry yet win 3 straight championships? They clashed heads at times, but their was no genuine hatred between them.

@ Penny and Shaq over Kobe and Shaq.....they never even won 1 single Finals game together. Also 2000-2002 Shaq > 1994-1996 Shaq and 2001-2002 > Kobe any version of Penny.

College superstar

you don't remember? departure / end career of MJ, Malone, Olajuwon, Robinson, Barkley, Stockton, Drexler?
    Seriously, those years were so weak, the Lakers had a great team (and the best team, it wasn't so hard to find the champion before the season started) before Kobe ****ed them up. they could have won 5-6 titles in a row...
    Right, it's not like they didn't have to get through Blazers, Spurs and Kings or anything. Don't care if any of those players were at the end of their career, nobody was going to stop Shaq and Kobe when they were at their pinnacle.

Using your logic MJ and Pippen weren't a great duo because the 80s Lakers/Celtics/Pistons/Sixers had all declined. Take of your rose-tint nostalgia glasses. Also I wold love to hear how Kobe supposedly "****ed them up". Regardless when they were at their peak as a duo they were unstoppable and the most dominant duo ever, period.

Quote Originally Posted by Ne 1
    Their chemistry was fine when their egos where in check. How can they have no chemistry yet dominate the way they did together? How can they have no chemistry yet win 3 straight championships? They clashed heads at times, but their was no genuine hatred between them.

@ Penny and Shaq over Kobe and Shaq.....they never even won 1 single Finals game together. Also 2000-2002 Shaq > 1994-1996 Shaq and 2001-2002 > Kobe any version of Penny.
    look at your avatar, you are a biased and well known stupid poster here.

they have no championship together, if Shaq stayed in Orlando (back in 96 summer, people in Orlando didn't agree to offer 120 million over 7 years to Shaq, that's why at least for a big part, he went to LA) they would have won many rings after MJ retired.
    it was a matter of time. can you understand this?

look at your avatar, you are a biased and well known stupid poster here.

they have no championship together, if Shaq stayed in Orlando (back in 96 summer, people in Orlando didn't agree to offer 120 million over 7 years to Shaq, that's why at least for a big part, he went to LA) they would have won many rings after MJ retired.
    Dunno about that, brother. Penny got hurt and that was that.

IF Penny stayed healthy and IF Shaq stayed in Orlando. Thats to many Ifs for me.

College superstar

you are a biased and well known stupid poster here
    The irony.

IF IF IF IF

I don't give a shit about BS "what if" scenarios and revisionist history, I look at what actually took place. What took place is Shaq and Kobe at their peak as a duo dominated in a way that no other 2 players on the same team have ever done before and won 3 straight championships, and only the 90s Bulls and 60s Celtics have ever won 3 straight championships. The bottom line is that Shaq and Kobe at their pinnacle as a duo are the best, but Jordan and Pippen sustained their success together longer. No need for your biased, irrelevant scenarios where Shaq never plays for Lakers and is still playing for Orlando after '96.
    Last edited by Ne 1; 06-07-2011 at 04:36 AM.

The irony.

IF IF IF IF

I don't give a shit about BS "what if" scenarios and revisionist history, I look at what actually took place. What took place is Shaq and Kobe at their peak as a duo dominated in a way that no other 2 players on the same team have ever done before and won 3 straight championships, and only the 90s Bulls and 60s Pistons have ever won 3 straight championships. The bottom line is that Shaq and Kobe at their pinnacle as a duo are the best, but Jordan and Pippen sustained their success together longer. No need for your biased, irrelevant scenarios where Shaq never plays for Lakers and is still playing for Orlando after '96.
    What?

Right, it's not like they didn't have to get through Blazers, Spurs and Kings or anything. Don't care if any of those players were at the end of their career, nobody was going to stop Shaq and Kobe when they were at their pinnacle.

Using your logic MJ and Pippen weren't a great duo because the 80s Lakers/Celtics/Pistons/Sixers had all declined. Take of your rose-tint nostalgia glasses. Also I wold love to hear how Kobe supposedly "****ed them up". Regardless when they were at their peak as a duo they were unstoppable and the most dominant duo ever, period.
    that's nothing to do with logic. wanna compare the league in 92 and 02 ? are you sure?

College superstar

that's nothing to do with logic. wanna compare the league in 92 and 02 ? are you sure?
    I don't give a shit. None of your nostalgic crap changes anything.

Quote Originally Posted by Bogus_Sting
    Dunno about that, brother. Penny got hurt and that was that.

IF Penny stayed healthy and IF Shaq stayed in Orlando. Thats to many Ifs for me.
    i was just illustrating the fact that shaq had his rings when the generation of 84-85 retired or fell down. that's all.
    it was an answer to the comment that shaq-kobe was better than shaq-penny because they had 3 rings.

I don't give a shit. None of your nostalgic crap changes anything.
    yeah, should stop this now. no need to be the troll of the day, let's this for new comers.

College superstar

i was just illustrating the fact that shaq had his rings when the generation of 84-85 retired or fell down. that's all.
    it was an answer to the comment that shaq-kobe was better than shaq-penny because they had 3 rings.
    Kobe and Shaq were going to get their rings no matter what. They were unstoppable as a duo from 2001-2002. Yes Shaq and Kobe were far better than Shaq and Penny. Please, take off your rose-tint nostalgia glasses. 2001 Shaq + 2001 Kobe >>>> Shaq+Penny at any point of their time together and it's not even close.

7-time NBA All-Star

Seriously, those years were so weak, the Lakers had a great team (and the best team, it wasn't so hard to find the champion before the season started) before Kobe ****ed them up. they could have won 5-6 titles in a row...
    Phil Jackson on the 2000 Lakers

we were far from being the most talented team in the league. Indiana, Portland, Phoenix, Sacramento, and New York were all ball clubs whose top eight or nine players had more talent than we had in our regular rotation.
    http://books.google.com/books?id=Pfm...page&q&f=false

The Lakers were called "two deep" while the Blazers were called "too deep" throughout the 2000 WCF.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wR7P3DOCTJw http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=izs53PMDE8s#t=2m24s

The Lakers didn't have much talent outside their duo so I'm not sure what you're talking about. And no chemistry? Don't confuse their feud for them not having chemistry on the court. When there wasn't an ego battle going on(and really that was only the case during the first half of the 2000-2001 season) during the 3peat, they had excellent chemistry.

yeah, i know that shaqattack, the lakers could have met many more issues if the Suns had Gugliotta, Chapman and a healthy Kidd.

i was more talking about 01-02-03, but i did not mention it, this is right.

the Lakers were very well built nonetheless.
    Phil loved to get his tall guards with Shaw and Harper, plus horry, Grant, Fox were perfect role players with a lot of experience for this team.

Decent playground baller Laimbeer_Rodman's Avatar

Penny and Shaq were better duo,ensemble.
    Kobe and Shaq were two great players playing together.

If we are talking about year-by-year performances; surely 2001 Shaq-Kobe arguably the best.

But my ranking would be like this considering career as a duo;
    1. Jordan & Pippen
    2. Magic & Kareem
    3. Shaq & Kobe
    4. K. Malone & Stockton
    5. Russell & Cousy
    6. Isiah & Dumars
    7. Bird & McHale
    8. Duncan & Admiral
    9. Chamberlain & West
    10. Erving & Moses