Early on, Pat was known to be a classy guy,
I heard early on that he was the only Kentucky Wildcat who went to the Texas Western College locker room to shake their hands and congratulate the team for winning the NCAA tournament.
He was never known to call out any of his players to the press unlike Phil Jackson. Never heard him say harsh things against anybody in public.
But then again, I read or heard that he had conflicts with Paul Silas at NY that he gave him a bad review(reference) to Paul's future employers.
When Miami team he coached got old and failed to enlist good players, he kicked himself upstairs and promoted his assistant Stan Van Gundy as Head coach. Call it luck or great nurturing, Stan did pretty well esp with Wade and 10th pick Caron Butler, along with several young players like Odom etc.
Riley then got rid of Odom, Brian Grant (the guys he recruited in the summer) for Shaq.
When the team got a lot stronger and yet hit some rough spots, he relented and pushed Stan Van Gundy aside and coached the team to the championship.
When Shaq got old and showed his lack of great work ethic, he then traded the guy away to Phoenix.
Then after Lebron left, I heard that he lashed out and left some very harsh word to James.
He then inexplicably became absent when Wade was negotiating for his contract, why?
Then the Bosh ailment and now Chris aggressively trying to make a comeback and the team's doctors basically ran their own tests and declared the Allstar failed the physical. Logic tells me that out of respect for Bosh, that they will at least hire independent/non biased team of Physicians ran more test but didn't happened. Now there were reports that Riley was actually looking forward in not seeing Bosh in Miami uniform so his team can avail of the medical exception allowing to to free that much valuable cap space to go after big time free agents next summer.
So now, I am asking, is Pat a sinner or a saint?
Was he a saint before and now he has changed into a shrewd cold blooded business man?