Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    4 ring - 4 FMVP - 4MVP J Shuttlesworth's Avatar

Default Re: kevin love trade could be blocked

How can he commit long term anyway besides verbally?

Banned

^
    verbal contracts are legal and binding, unless it's a 'frivolous' promise like telling someone you'd buy them a car.

But it would be unenforceable in this case because they're not allowed to deal before Wiggin's date is up.

Anyhoo, after reading the source, looks like it's all pomp that the NBA was forced to do.

The trade will happen anyway, but since random reports of the Love deal started coming out (which is illegal since Wiggins' date isn't up yet) the NBA pretty much had no choice but to give a 'statement' saying illegal deals are not tolerable.

Adrian Wojnarowski of Yahoo Sports initially reported that “Cleveland is making the deal with Minnesota with a firm agreement Love will opt out of his contract in 2015 and re-sign with the Cavaliers on a five-year, $120 million-plus contract extension.” That’s the point of contention that could potentially allow the league to step in, but good luck proving it in any capacity.
    Last edited by played0ut; 08-09-2014 at 09:34 PM.

NBA Legend and Hall of Famer

Quote Originally Posted by dubeta
    Love will only sign an extension with the Cavs

So Twolves are handicapped

Not at the trade deadline. Some teams will give up more than that for a rental.

Hell Miami would give up Chalmers for him. That would trump the Clev offer.

bears can smell it OncePerMonth's Avatar

Again, NBA not selling Wiggins jerseys and now apparently giving refunds is shady.

Decent college freshman Mr. Incredible's Avatar

LeBron is pretty much the commissioner at this point. It won't be blocked.

Very good NBA starter

Quote Originally Posted by Sarcastic

there is no chance a team would give up players on par with Wiggins, Bennett, and a first rounder just to rent Love for a few months

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Sarcastic

Funniest thing I heard all day

Heck right now Waiters is probably already better than Wade, and Bennett improved a lot from last year, huge upside

And your comparing that package to Mario 'scrub' chalmers??

It would be funny if it happened. There is still roughly 14-16 days until the trade is official if it goes through. Anything can happen.

Quote Originally Posted by OncePerMonth
    Again, NBA not selling Wiggins jerseys and now apparently giving refunds is shady.

That's a good point you bring up.

If the NBA wasn't supporting this trade, shit like this wouldn't be happening.

If that isn't evidence of a trade happening, I don't know what is

I mean, you only have to go on social Media and see how many people are reporting the details of the trade

Personally, I have no problem with love going there. But why make the rules if you don't fairly enforce them under ALL circumstances.

The Lakers got screwed pretty bad.

Top 1 Bball Mind.

doubt it happens...tough to prove a verbal agreement...

Quote Originally Posted by poido123
    The Lakers got screwed pretty bad.
    It's business.

‎"NBA owners collectively own NOH, they saved them last year when they went bankrupt. The Hornets got back 15 million extra in the trade for Paul. Because of that, the other 28 owners pretty much would've had to foot a 15 million dollar bill... because the Hornets are NBA owned. Obviously they said no to that. Slash, they didn't want the first trade post-lockout to be made by the league. Literally has nothing to do with the trade it has everything to do with the fact that the other owners shouldn't be stuck paying for the new salary NOH just traded for.

- NBA insider from CBS sports "
    That's messed up that the Lakers were going to get better, trade and get Chris Paul, but gain $15 million in cap space. LOL

Quote Originally Posted by RoundMoundOfReb
    doubt it happens...tough to prove a verbal agreement...

Wiggins jerseys taken off the shelf and details of the trade smattered all over the internet?

I hope the trade goes through, no team or players deserve to have a veto. But I'm one for fairness too.

Why should Lakers have a vetoed trade and not one here? I blame the rules which are too ambiguous or unclear to sort out a legit veto.

Wiggins jerseys taken off the shelf and details of the trade smattered all over the internet?

I hope the trade goes through, no team or players deserve to have a veto. But I'm one for fairness too.

Why should Lakers have a vetoed trade and not one here? I blame the rules which are too ambiguous or unclear to sort out a legit veto.
    Cause the other owners were sick of the Lakers benefitting from suspiciously lopsided trades. This trade is fair, and even if it wasn't the Cavs don't have a history of getting special treatment from the league.

The Paul to the Lakers trade was rejected because the NBA OWNED the Hornets, and felt that wasn't the best return for the direction they were headed into.

The league does NOT own the Cavaliers, therefore, they can not reject the deal due to direction, but can reject it only due to tampering/any illegal activity they feel might be going on.

A better comparison would be the Clippers getting jobbed out of a DJ for KG swap last year, though, it ended up working in our favor.

Quote Originally Posted by qrich
    The Paul to the Lakers trade was rejected because the NBA OWNED the Hornets, and felt that wasn't the best return for the direction they were headed into.

The league does NOT own the Cavaliers, therefore, they can not reject the deal due to direction, but can reject it only due to tampering/any illegal activity they feel might be going on.

A better comparison would be the Clippers getting jobbed out of a DJ for KG swap last year, though, it ended up working in our favor.

Thanks for clarifying.

Again, I am not a fan of vetoes at all...

Teams should be allowed to do what they want, regardless of how dumb the other franchise is.