Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default The (yearly) case for San Antonio

- Had the championship in the bag last year until 30 seconds changed everything

- Have almost the exact same roster, but with the very significant addition of Belinelli and a greater role for Mills. Both shoot over 40% from 3 point range (Belinelli a filthy 44%), which matters a great deal in the playoffs. Diaw is also playing better than last year

- Because it's the same group, they will be eager for revenge

- On pace to have either the exact same record or very close

- Top 5 defense, top 10 offense, and top 5 point differential, three stats usually highly correlated with playoff success. The only other two teams with this powerful combination are OKC and Los Angeles

- Wide open West, with the possibility of drawing an easier opponent in the ECF than Indiana or Miami. For example, they could go up against the Clippers or Houston and exploit their inexperience. The biggest threat is a healthy OKC.

- If they face Miami, championship fatigue is a question mark. 4 straight trips to the Finals AND a threepeat is, if I remember correctly, unheard of since the Russell Celtics. If they face Indiana, they'll be going up against a tough team, no doubt, but one led by an unproven youngster with no championship experience, and sorely lacking in offense.

What's the case against them as the number one contender? I think they're 0-3 against OKC in the regular season (0-2 against Houston and 2-0 against LAC), but it doesn't necessarily mean something. You could also point out to lower per 36 minutes stats for both Duncan and Parker, but they are also deeper than last year. So what's the catch? If they lose, what do you think will be the main reason?

Default Re: The (yearly) case for San Antonio

the case against them is that they wouldnt have gotten to the finals, had westbrook been healthy last year

also, kawhi hasnt improved, and timmy, tony and manu are all a year older

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by chips93
    the case against them is that they wouldnt have gotten to the finals, had westbrook been healthy last year

and a year better
    Spurs problem is they match up horribly against both OKC and Houston.
    i could see them beat both tho if Pop outcoaches McFail or Brooks

Local High School Star

Revenge? They were 28 seconds away, hell they were rolling that LOB trophy out then the Spurs just pissed it away. Last year was their best bet and they blew it.

Reasons for Failure will be the insane STACKEDNESS of the West... I mean, if Mavs/Suns share 7th/8th Spot, literally every team could beat the other. Spurs are a year older, and might just run out of gas come playoff time.

I admit though, I saw them done earlier and have changed my opinion.

Kawhi hasn't improved, surprising to me.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by ArbitraryWater
    Reasons for Failure will be the insane STACKEDNESS of the West... I mean, if Mavs/Suns share 7th/8th Spot, literally every team could beat the other. Spurs are a year older, and might just run out of gas come playoff time.

I admit though, I saw them done earlier and have changed my opinion.

Kawhi hasn't improved, surprising to me.
    Kawhi will be big in the playoffs shutting down star players again, just watch.
    and Spurs wont run out of gas since zero fcks are given in this organisation about the Regular Season

Dunking on everybody in the park KrizMiz's Avatar

spors - biggest threat in the west by far

NBA Legend

I know I'll be reppin these boys in the playoffs

Can't get here soon enough.

Two things standing between the Spurs and a championship right now:

1. Health
    2. OKC

That just about sums it up. OKC has had our number since 2012. We have great options for defending Wade and Bron, but come out flat when it comes to guarding Westbrook and KD.

What's this nonsense about Kawhi not improving this year? You guys realize that he's been out a big chunk of the season with a broken hand, right? Just because his numbers aren't higher doesn't mean he's not better. Anyone who watched that SA vs. MIA game on Thursday night could see otherwise.

Serious playground baller

the case against them is that they wouldnt have gotten to the finals, had westbrook been healthy last yearr
    Health is all part of it. "If" .. don't mean squat.

Simple fact. With GOATbrook back they're 6-4 out of their last 10.

spurs and thunder ARE the western conference. really cant see another team making the finals this year

Local High School Star Upgrayedd's Avatar

Still can't believe Poppovich took Duncan out of the game... twice when all they needed was to grab one rebound and the Heat would have had to foul, no Ray Allen 3 point shot.

They had their chances last year when WB was out, got to the finals, were a FT away from the ring but they blew it.
    I don't see they taking OKC out with WB healthy. The matchups aren't in their favour.

Local High School Star Upgrayedd's Avatar

The thing that's in the Spurs favor this season is that Duncan is still playing very well. Parker and Ginobili are still good when healthy and their younger players are continuing to improve (especially Leonard). And they have Belinelli this season.