Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Default Jerry Seinfeld vs Chris Rock & the top 10 comics from the past 25 years.

I believe these two gentleman are the greatest stand-up comics to come along since the late 80s? Jerry peaked earlier but Chris peaked later and I think for a longer time.

Of these two, who is on top?

Also, who are the top 10 stand-ups from their era to now, a 25 year span?\\

Default Re: Jerry Seinfeld vs Chris Rock & the top 10 comics from the past 25 years.

Are you going solely based on their stand-up work, or does the extra stuff factor in as well?

Default Re: Jerry Seinfeld vs Chris Rock & the top 10 comics from the past 25 years.

Seinfeld was funny?

Banned

Mainly stand up, the other works (Seinfeld Show; Chris Rock Show) can be bonus points I guess, but not too much. Don't wanna take too much away from stand up.

I think Eddie Griffin is in the top ten from the past 25 years, gotta make my list.

I think Chris probably has him in stand-up. Chris Rock's stand-up is edgier and I think exposes the absurdity of the dynamics of relationships and society in a way that Jerry didn't.

Jerry's comedy was perfectly build for the medium of TV because it allowed him to make his observational comedy visual for the audience.

George Carlin is the greatest.....

Quote Originally Posted by IInvented
    George Carlin is the greatest.....
    Carlin peaked in the 70s.

From what I've really seen of Rock (granted, not a lot) I just can't get into him. I think his voice draws me away. It feels like a fake voice. What's some top quality material you'd recommend?

I don't really like Jerry's stand-up but the show was genius and I'll always love it.

I like Jerry better but his material is much more limited since he repeats them over the years and only added a little. Chris' material is brand new every few years.

Quote Originally Posted by L.Kizzle
    Carlin peaked in the 70s.
    He was always great until his death.... it doesn't take away from him being the greatest stand up of all time... Rock is up there as well. He says some of the most clever stuff i ever heard.

Quote Originally Posted by IInvented
    He was always great until his death.... it doesn't take away from him being the greatest stand up of all time... Rock is up there as well. He says some of the most clever stuff i ever heard.
    Pryor is the greatest, but that's for another threads.

And yes of course Carlin is great, he was releasing specials up until his death but I liked 70s, 80s Carlin the best.

I mean Cosby's special last year was nothin compared to his classic, 60s through 80s material.

than you have a guy like Luis CK who is better today that he was in 1992.

Seinfeld changed comedy more than Rock I would suppose.
    Rock's best work is his specials. Seinfeld best work was his sitcom, which is amazing body of work. You can say he's more prolific. Seinfeld also had the good sense to work with another genius who turned out to be better at TV than he ever had been at.

I just watched Louis CK on the BS podcast. He talks about how he started out with Chris Rock and how Chris Rock went on SNL and failed and Rock kind of fell out of his life for a few years. He wasn't gigging in NYC, but doing road shows and then before one of his specials, he came back to NY to headline Caroline's. Louis said he had his friends all went, because they never saw Rock do more than 10 minute sets. Rock got a standing ovation from all crowd except for the comedians, who looked like the team that just lost the World Series. Chris Rock had gone on the road and got good at standup. Louis CK said he felt like he wasted 5 years of his life.
    Last edited by KevinNYC; 01-28-2014 at 12:39 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by KevinNYC
    Seinfeld changed comedy more than Rock I would suppose.
    Rock's best work is his specials. Seinfeld best work was his sitcom, which is amazing body of work. You can say he's more prolific. Seinfeld also had the good sense to work with another genius who turned out to be better at TV than he ever had been at.

I just watched Louis CK on the BS podcast. He talks about how he started out with Chris Rock and how Chris Rock went on SNL and failed and Rock kind of fell out of his life for a few years. He wasn't gigging in NYC, but doing road shows and then before one of his specials, he came back to NY to headline Caroline's. Louis said he had his friends all went, because they never saw Rock do more than 10 minute sets. Rock got a standing ovation from all crowd except for the comedians, who looked like the team that just lost the World Series. Chris Rock had gone on the road and got good at standup. Louis CK said he felt like he wasted 5 years of his life.
    You could say that is more of Larry David's work ... can't you?

About the CK part, Rock spoke about that in a book. Right after he left SNL and In Living Color he would also be on those Def Jam Tours that were hot around 94. Rock wasn't a Def Jam comic, but he said he'd do shows with people like Joe Torry and Jamie Foxx and he'd be the headliner but the audience would leave after Foxx and Torry went on because they had just killed. He went into the clubs (which seems to be the story CK is telling) and would work and work and work. And out of that came Bring The Pain, the best stand up he past 20 years.
    Last edited by L.Kizzle; 01-28-2014 at 12:54 AM.

Get him a body bag! Patrick Chewing's Avatar

I don't know if Jerry Seinfeld is a funnier stand-up comedian, but I will say he is much funnier in general than Chris Rock. Chris had his moments on SNL, but once he branched out to movies, he was not the same. In fact, quite annoying.