Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Home of the 16

Arrow Laker News: Pau Gasol

Link: http://www.lakersnation.com/pau-gaso...on/2013/12/18/

This past weekend marked the two-year anniversary of the trade that sent Pau Gasol away for current Clippers point guard Chris Paul — a trade that likely would have been franchise altering for the Lakers. They would have had a built in replacement for Kobe Bryant who would double as the best point guard Bryant would play with in his career. For reason’s that aren’t necessarily important, the trade was reversed by the NBA’s commissioner.

Since the trade was reversed by David Stern, the Pau Gasol narrative has changed dramatically among Lakers fans. While he’s been considered soft by Lakers fans since the 2008 Finals — a series in which the entire Celtics team man-handled the entire Lakers team. While the challenging of Gasol’s manhood isn’t new, he’s since been made the Lakers quintessential whipping boy with every single one of his mistakes curated on social media by Lakers fans who desperately want another winner. This season, fans want Gasol gone, traded for anything, as if talented 7-footers with championship experience grow on trees.

I’m not here to ignore Gasol’s declining skill set. Pau’s numbers have been in a steady decline since the 2010-11 season, and his numbers are down in almost every meaningful metric (his rebounding percentage is up this season largely due to Dwight Howard no longer annihilating every available board). More than any other season, Gasol has settled for long jump shots, and when he’s attacked the basket, he’s had varying success with average peaks and very low valleys. A lot of Gasol’s struggles are directly related to his age and just not having the physicality needed to compete at the game’s highest level every single night. It’s not an excuse for Gasol, but it’s a huge reason for his obvious decline. It’s not a secret, Gasol is a shell of his former self, frustrating his coach, teammates, and fans alike — but I still appreciate the big man, and at this point, it’s hard to imagine Gasol playing in another jersey.

These days, you’d hardly need a klaxon when Pau catches the ball in the post. The number of times he’s hurting defenses this season when he gets the ball on the block is far below the league’s average — and because of this, it suppresses misoneism among fans. On the surface, I can understand whose thoughts are of that ilk. The Lakers did not become one of the most successful organizations in all of sports by throwing out lackluster talent. But on the other hand, the lore of the franchise also comes from maintaining the players who have carved their way into the collective hearts of the fan base by brilliant play on the court, and helping to improve the community off it. Pau has done these things and so much more, and yet, we’ve quickly forgotten that Gasol changed the culture of this organization for the better more than any other Laker in the past decade, and because of this, I don’t want to see Pau traded.

While this may not remain true for many basketball fans, I don’t root for laundry. I root for the Los Angeles Lakers and the players who force me to appreciate the game of basketball a little more than I did before I watched them play. I’m not one to hold a great’s declining skill set umbriferous over the highs of his career — especially when one of those highs was helping the Lakers bring home a title against the Boston Celtics. Gasol has had some absolutely brilliant moments as a member of the Lakers, and while the frequency of moments like this has plummeted, he’s still capable of providing some beautiful basketball for these Lakers.

Moving Gasol for pieces who are likely only going to be worth pennies on the dollar just wouldn’t feel right, not as a fan. Gasol is a once-in-a-generation talent — there will not be another Pau Gasol. These are the years that should be spent appreciating a man who not only helped bring the title back to Los Angeles, but against the Celtics. Pau’s time in the NBA isn’t going to be much longer after his contract is up. Being a fan should be about appreciating your guys while they’re still here. The name on the back of the jersey is never more important than the one in the front, but some of those names mean more to an organization than others — and the back of Gasol’s jersey is going to hang in the rafters one day. While it’s easy to want to see Gasol traded, it’ll be just as hard to see him go. I’m in the minority here, but I’m glad Stern nixed the Chris Paul trade.

Default Re: Laker News: Pau Gasol

Sure, keep Pau around just to make him miserable....just so his fans can look at him being miserable, just so his clueless coach can play him the wrong way on a team that is going absolutely nowhere.
    He would be a complete moron to re-sign with us if 'Antoni is the coach......so why not trade him to a team who will actually play him in the post?
    Come on..........did anyone see that old movie called "Misery" with Kathy Bates and James Caan? Great movie.

Home of the 16

Quote Originally Posted by DKLaker
    Sure, keep Pau around just to make him miserable....just so his fans can look at him being miserable, just so his clueless coach can play him the wrong way on a team that is going absolutely nowhere.
    He would be a complete moron to re-sign with us if 'Antoni is the coach......so why not trade him to a team who will actually play him in the post?
    Come on..........did anyone see that old movie called "Misery" with Kathy Bates and James Caan? Great movie.
    Do you watch them play? They do play him in the post 85% of the time. He ISO's, he posts, does a little shimmy & then turns & fades away for a shot. It's usually that or a High Screen & Roll/Give & Go with Kobe.

It's just that, he posts and no one bothers to cut to the basket most of the time. I think Pau just misses the Triangle when he complained about D'Antoni last week.
    Last edited by $LakerGold; 12-19-2013 at 12:19 AM.

Home of the 16

80-85% of his shot attempts are from Iso's. He'll still be miserable if he signs elsewhere.

NBA lottery pick Lakers_Kobe_Fan's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by DKLaker
    trade him to the Rockets for Asik/lin + DMO

asik
    hill
    wes
    kobe
    lin

should be ok to get us to playoffs...lol

Linsanity was born under Mike D

does Lin play any kind of defense?

I would then trade nash/blake for Amir johnson/lowry why? because TDot wants to tank and amir johnson/lowry are ruining his plans

lol

Asik/sacre
    A Johnson/hill
    Wes/Nick Young
    Kobe/X/Meeks
    Lowry/Lin

Home of the 16

Hill is a pure center. You want a stretch 4 especially under D'Antoni. I don't know why you & kkinchen want Hill at 4 so bad, he's better off being at 5.

Quote Originally Posted by Lakers_Kobe_Fan
    I would then trade nash/blake for Amir johnson/lowry why? because TDot wants to tank and amir johnson/lowry are ruining his plans

lol

Asik/sacre
    A Johnson/hill
    Wes/Nick Young
    Kobe/X/Meeks
    Lowry/Lin
    Raptors would never do that sort of trade.

NBA lottery pick Lakers_Kobe_Fan's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by bladefd
    Raptors would never do that sort of trade.
    its well documented the Masai wants to tank...I am hoping

NBA lottery pick

I'm not sure why Pau would want to return to the Lakers. They aren't a contender, and they don't use his strengths. Right now it doesn't look good for him to resign with the Lakers.

Very good NBA starter

Lakers should just trade Pau. Guy is done and plays with no sense of urgency.

I hit open 5-foot jumpshots with ease Lakers91's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by dd24
    I'm not sure why Pau would want to return to the Lakers. They aren't a contender, and they don't use his strengths. Right now it doesn't look good for him to resign with the Lakers.
    I don't think the Lakers F.O would really want him to return or vice versa, he doesn't look that good or consistently as good but then has good games and shows he can be but inconsistently, I think and have said before a large part is the mental affect of all the things he's had to put up with, he was the main big man for two titles then Phil basically starts to give Bynum a larger role and then of course the trade that was vetoed, then Dwight coming in and D'Antoni misusing Gasol and still this year a bit misusing him and they don't get along and he's not playing as hard consistently as you'd like. I just don't see especially why Gasol would want to return unless his bond with Kobe really is that strong but his brother is in Memphis and assuming the rumours they may trade Randolph are true could be a spot for him there? They could trade a few pieces mainly Randolph and parts ideally for Deng and then have Gasol at PF next year they may try (assuming Chicago wants to rebuild and give them a soon to be expiring Randolph contract).

Quote Originally Posted by Lakers_Kobe_Fan
    its well documented the Masai wants to tank...I am hoping
    I'd love for that but don't see it happening, I think Lowry is very underrated but I think if anyone gets him could be the Pacers who need to fix their PG issues and they might have more to offer whether it be expiring Granger, picks or Hill I don't know but I think if anyone gets him it will be them.

Home of the 16

Quote Originally Posted by Lakers91
    I'd love for that but don't see it happening, I think Lowry is very underrated but I think if anyone gets him could be the Pacers who need to fix their PG issues and they might have more to offer whether it be expiring Granger, picks or Hill I don't know but I think if anyone gets him it will be them.
    Would you say it's a MUST FIX issue?

Quote Originally Posted by $LakerGold
    Would you say it's a MUST FIX issue?
    Must fix? I would say it's close to it, not that I dislike Hill, it's just that he's not the point guard or the type of point that I think they would like the most, he's a 3 point threat and all, but when you play in the playoffs especially vs Miami they are going to need a solid pass first point guard that can run the offense when Miami's defense clamps down, which Hill has shown to be turnover prone and when George isn't handling the ball or Stephenson etc he's not a good enough point guard in my opinion against good teams but he'd be a great sixth man for them, I think they need a point like Lowry, I think they could still take Miami to 7 and I wouldn't say they can't win without a point but I'd certainly back them to take it right to Miami now but with a point guard I'd think they could potentially win too, they are very big/large and tough but they need a point to help the offense flow in my opinion. Is it must fix? I wouldn't say must fix but it's an important one though they need to fix unless they think they can take Miami without a point that can run the offense/involve others which imo Hill can't consistently he'd be a great outside threat off the bench in my opinion. It might be a bit harsh on Hill and the Pacers as a whole but I think they'd be that much better with a solid point guard not a Rondo (although he'd be great for them he'd cost the stars in the sky), someone like Dragic or Lowry, Hill's defense was once very good but now I think it's more just good if that to be honest, he's tough and he's a decent leader but he'd be a greater impacter off the bench although he will probably be part of any trade for another point guard unless Granger is enough if they even want to trade him.
    Last edited by Lakers91; 12-25-2013 at 04:47 AM.

I'm on the fence with Gasol. Sometimes, I feel he has a lot left to give, a legit 20/10. Sometimes, I feel he has stones tied to his sneakers and has 3 years of playing left. At 20 mil? damn.

IF ONLY, (and I'm turning on my Homer Laker fan unrealistic trade idea pretend GM. I never do this, but heres my joke)

If we traded Pau Gasol, Steve Blake

With the rockets, Pelicans.

Lakers Get
    Lin
    Asik
    Parsons

Rockets get
    Pelicans 1st rounder
    Lakers 2nd rounder
    Ryan Anderson
    Steve Blake
    Get rid of horrible asik/lin deal

Pelicans get
    Pau Gasol

Trade Nash's ass to Toronto. Get lowry. lol.

The problem with this years lakers, is that we have a bunch of guys that can fill multiple spots, and they're all on 1 year deals, min contract guys. they're all playing so hard that you don't know who you want to keep.

We will be..

Lin/Farmar/Nash/ Marshall
    Kobe/meeks/young
    Parsons/Young/
    Wesley Johnson/ Jordan Hill / Ryan Kelly
    Asik/ Jordan Hill/ Robert Sacre

And Williams, Kaman really won't get burn. Maybe we can flip them, since they've played decent. Get a second rounder for someone looking for a wing, or a big man. Maybe package them both, get a second rounder. They have cheap contracts.

[COLOR="White"](I've been drinking)[/COLOR]