Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Default Re: Here are the things Jordan are #1 all time at

Quote Originally Posted by ballinhun8
    No. You would say "they are three of the greatest players of all time.

Greatest of All Time means one person.
    You can't say the greatest players of all time? No doubt, some stuff people say is off the wall, when it comes to grammar, but in a way you can look at a sentence like a formula with no variables (yet.) Imagine diagramming a sentence.

You can assume a lot. Most people believe you can only have something like "you" assumed, but I think you can take it much further.

Not to mention, sometimes a word or abbreviation changes. GOAT has becoming synonymous with great or greatness. Saying top three greatest is not wrong, but tacking on of all time may have been what confused you. Just assume it is "greatest."

GOAT is a singular thing, true, but people can say he's on the GOAT list. He is GOAT tier. When people say he's GOAT of all time then that's stupid.

GOAT gonna GOAT. GOATing. All of those wouldn't fit, but they work because we know. No excess, nothing is wrong, nothing is misunderstood. That's what we should all aim for when making a sentence.

Edit: I really think the issue is that in school they say great, greater, greatest... and most people say only one can be greatest. However, we know many can especially when comparing cross-era. Greatest x of all time... candy bars, movie stars, days... etc.

-Smak
    Last edited by ILLsmak; 11-07-2014 at 12:56 PM.

Bulls | Bears | W. Sox ballinhun8's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by ILLsmak
    You can't say the greatest players of all time? No doubt, some stuff people say is off the wall, when it comes to grammar, but in a way you can look at a sentence like a formula with no variables (yet.) Imagine diagramming a sentence.

You can assume a lot. Most people believe you can only have something like "you" assumed, but I think you can take it much further.

Not to mention, sometimes a word or abbreviation changes. GOAT has becoming synonymous with great or greatness. Saying top three greatest is not wrong, but tacking on of all time may have been what confused you. Just assume it is "greatest."

GOAT is a singular thing, true, but people can say he's on the GOAT list. He is GOAT tier. When people say he's GOAT of all time then that's stupid.

GOAT gonna GOAT. GOATing. All of those wouldn't fit, but they work because we know. No excess, nothing is wrong, nothing is misunderstood. That's what we should all aim for when making a sentence.

Edit: I really think the issue is that in school they say great, greater, greatest... and most people say only one can be greatest. However, we know many can especially when comparing cross-era. Greatest x of all time... candy bars, movie stars, days... etc.

-Smak

This is what I was trying to say bro LOL.

I get what you mean in everything tho. I was implying that you would have to include the word "tier" or "category" to say what the original poster said about the word goat.

Russell - Thing is, he had a quality supporting cast, but I don't think it was as good as one would think based on 7 HOFers. How many were dominant defensive players? His teams were always best in the league by a long shot in DRtg (and were shit before and after), and mediocre to poor in ORtg. His teams were better than Wilt's, but Wilt had better squads while with the Sixers and Lakers than Russ did at the same time.
    Given the health situations in the playoffs and that a squad also includes the coach, I'll say the Sixers were really better on paper than the Celtics only in the season they actually beat them, 1967.