Page 3 of 12 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast

Default Re: top 10 players of the 90s

Quote Originally Posted by chains5000
    I'd rank Malone over him because of his two MVPs in the decade.
    MVP's mean jack to me. Especially when Steve Nash has two of them and the most dominating centre ever has 1.

Learning to shoot layups

Quote Originally Posted by plowking
    MVP's mean jack to me. Especially when Steve Nash has two of them and the most dominating centre ever has 1.
    Good point, for Shaq to only have one MVP is a farce, but you also have to factor in Malone's trips to the NBA finals during the decade.

Good college starter

Quote Originally Posted by guy
    Gary was great, but the 90s was stacked. Who would you put him over?

I personally would put him over Stockton and Scottie

Good college starter

Quote Originally Posted by guy
    David Robinson won an MVP and had better overall stats, although some of that could be attributed to him being a center while Stockton was a PG. Drexler was the leader of two teams that went to the Finals and then won a title with Hakeem. Stockton is one of the most underappreciated players cause he played with Malone, but I don't think I can put him above those players, although I wouldn't blame someone if they did. At the same time, I think Drexler is wayy underrated and maybe the most unappreciated player ever.
    I Think that title would have to go to Pat Ewing. He is way too low. IF John Starks doesnt go 0 for 100 Ewing wins a title IF the Knicks ever put some strong support players behind Ewing maybe MJ doesnt win 6 titles.Not saying he was better than Shaq but surely better than D Rob

Good college starter

Quote Originally Posted by Glove_20
    at anyone thinking about putting Payton over David Robinson. David Robinson is arguably Top 3 in the 90s. It's actually a toss up between Robinson and Malone. He's over Barkley though.

I would actually put Stockton, Ewing, and Pippen all over Payton in the 90s. Drexler is the only one who I would take out and replace with Payton. Everyone forgets that some of Payton's best years were in the 00s. In the early 90s he was very limited while Stockton, Ewing, and Pippen played well all throughout the 90s. They all enjoyed their best seasons in the 90s and that particular time frame (90-99) worked in their favor because that was some of their best seasons. In his late 90s prime he was better than some of these guys, however as a whole decade, he falls short. Though it's close, I would still take Stockton/Ewing/Pippen over Payton in the 90s. Though I would kick out Drexler and replace him with Payton or KJ.
    Where is the love for Drex. Behind MJ the second best SG in the 90's Sometimes the city the player plays in can hurt him or his personality. Drex was a big talker was a little laid back but his game wasnt The only fai way to do list like this is to say take the player off his team and how do you think he would have done on a weak team.I dont think its any question that as good as Stockton was his game would drop the most on a weak team

Quote Originally Posted by Niquesports
    I Think that title would have to go to Pat Ewing. He is way too low. IF John Starks doesnt go 0 for 100 Ewing wins a title IF the Knicks ever put some strong support players behind Ewing maybe MJ doesnt win 6 titles.Not saying he was better than Shaq but surely better than D Rob
    To be fair to Starks, Ewing had a terrible series against Hakeem as well, scoring around 18 at low percentages.

National High School Star

Quote Originally Posted by Maniak
    1.Michael Jordan
    2.Shaquille O'neal
    3.Hakeem Olajuwon
    4. Charles Barkley
    5.David Robinson
    6.Karl Malone
    7.Patrick Ewing
    8. Clyde Drexler
    9. Scotte Pippen
    10. John Stockton

imo
    Shaq's too high. I'd put him between Malone and Ewing. Shaq was still dominant in the 90s but he didnt win a ring.

Quote Originally Posted by plowking
    Well, he won one with MJ still around. Even if he didn't deserve it, just being considered for it shows how good he was back then.
    Also, he made it to the Finals twice in a row.

Decent college freshman

Put Shaq at 4. There is no way that Karl Malone and Scottie were better then him.
    - malone played all 10 years of the decade, o'neal played 7
    - malone was 1st team all-nba all 10 years, and deservedly so, o'neal never deserved a spot on the 1st team
    - malone deserved 1 mvp, o'neal deserved 0 mvp's
    - malone was named 1st team all-defense 3 times, o'neal was named to 0 defensive teams
    - malone missed 3 games the entire decade, o'neal missed 10 times that in 1 season alone, and 86 total, in less available games.
    - malone had 4 legendary seasons, o'neal had 2

- pippen played all 10 years of the decade, o'neal played 7
    - pippen deserved 1st team all nba selection 4 times, o'neal never deserved a spot on the 1st team
    - pippen was named 1st team all-defense 8 times, o'neal was named to 0 defensive teams
    - pippen missed 23 games the entire decade, o'neal missed 86, in less available time

Bol'd over

The admiral is becoming REALLY underrated on ISH, but I guess most posters here really only saw teamed with Duncan, rather than being the man. That 71 point game was so beautiful to watch, I remember it like it was yesterday.

Quote Originally Posted by Shep
    - malone played all 10 years of the decade, o'neal played 7
    - malone was 1st team all-nba all 10 years, and deservedly so, o'neal never deserved a spot on the 1st team
    - malone deserved 1 mvp, o'neal deserved 0 mvp's
    - malone was named 1st team all-defense 3 times, o'neal was named to 0 defensive teams
    - malone missed 3 games the entire decade, o'neal missed 10 times that in 1 season alone, and 86 total, in less available games.
    - malone had 4 legendary seasons, o'neal had 2

- pippen played all 10 years of the decade, o'neal played 7
    - pippen deserved 1st team all nba selection 4 times, o'neal never deserved a spot on the 1st team
    - pippen was named 1st team all-defense 8 times, o'neal was named to 0 defensive teams
    - pippen missed 23 games the entire decade, o'neal missed 86, in less available time
    Let me put it this way, if you were to rank Carmelo, Lebron and Wade for the 00's, which order would you put them in?

3-time NBA All-Star

Quote Originally Posted by Niquesports
    I already said Drexler, Pippen, and Ewing could really go either way. And no I don't see Ewing as better then Robinson. Robinson was a better scorer, rebounder, and defender IMO. And I don't see how Ewing is more underrappreciated then Drexler. He gets way more mention then Drexler.

My 1990's NBA All Star

Starting 5

C- Hakeem Olajuwon
    F- Karl Malone
    F- Scottie Pippen
    G- Michael Jordan
    G- John Stockton

Off the Bench

C- David Robinson
    F- Patrick Ewing
    F- Grant Hill