Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast
    caillou swag

Default Re: Could Michael Jordan score 40 ppg in this era?

Maybe in 06 or 07 where 30 year old Iverson was able to score 33 points on 45% 3rd year Lebron was able to score 31 points and Gilbert Arenas was able to score 29 points on 45%. He's a way better scorer than all those guys and MJ in his prime was more athletic than Kobe in 06 so he would probably get at least get 37 and at most 41 but any other year no.

Banned

Of course he could if he just chucked all game long

The Magic are a trash HylianNightmare's Avatar

yes prime jordan was god

Serious playground baller

I think Jordan is GOAT. He was awesome. But posts like this really make me belive that half of those claims comes from teenagers that only saw Jordan play on youtube. You know that youtube that will only show you his amazing made shots, amazing dunks/lay-ups,... Teams today make science out of defense. Today its defense>offense. Back than it was offense>defense (with few exeptions, that still played worse defense that we watch today). Yes it is true that there is no hand checking rule today, but there was no double-team on defense in 90s. Jordan today would get double-teamed on at least 50% of possessions and he would be FORCED to give the ball away (which is the right thing to do in those situations). And also avarage SG in this era is far more athletic and better defender. I think Jordans CAREER ppg would be same as it was at best (would probably decrease for 1-2 ppg). He would probably get 2-3 apg more. So IMO its impossible for ANY player to avarage 40 ppg for whole season (maybe few weeks) in todays NBA.

He is GOAT, not GOD.

edit: he could, but that would give his team no chance to even be contender (chucking mode activated for whole year). But than again if they would chuck as hard, I can see guys like Bron, Wade, Melo, Kobe, Iverson, Durant... do it to.
    Last edited by bingo123; 07-19-2011 at 12:58 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by bingo123
    I think Jordan is GOAT. He was awesome. But posts like this really make me belive that half of those claims comes from teenagers that only saw Jordan play on youtube. You know that youtube that will only show you his amazing made shots, amazing dunks/lay-ups,... Teams today make science out of defense. Today its defense>offense. Back than it was offense>defense (with few exeptions, that still played worse defense that we watch today). Yes it is true that there is no hand checking rule today, but there was no double-team on defense in 90s. Jordan today would get double-teamed on at least 50% of possessions and he would be FORCED to give the ball away (which is the right thing to do in those situations). And also avarage SG in this era is far more athletic and better defender. I think Jordans CAREER ppg would be same as it was at best (would probably decrease for 1-2 ppg). He would probably get 2-3 apg more. So IMO its impossible for ANY player to avarage 40 ppg for whole season (maybe few weeks) in todays NBA.

He is GOAT, not GOD.
    if the average player is more athletic wouldn't Jordan be more athletic too

Good college starter

Quote Originally Posted by Ikill
    lol?

Quote Originally Posted by Ikill
    Maybe but we will never know. We are comparing Jordan we know here, right? Then again, he was a freak of nature and he was/is one of a kind. Its hard to compare avarge players to athletic freaks. If we go by avarage athletic guys in each eras, Wilt would be 80 ppg player today, which is not true at all.

edit: what i wrote is a little weird. What i mean is that avarage players are getting a lot better with each era. We cant say that for freaks of nature.
    Last edited by bingo123; 07-19-2011 at 01:15 PM.

3-time NBA All-Star

He is GOAT, not GOD.

edit: he could, but that would give his team no chance to even be contender (chucking mode activated for whole year). But than again if they would chuck as hard, I can see guys like Bron, Wade, Melo, Kobe, Iverson, Durant... do it to.

I agree that he wouldn't average 40 ppg, but Jordan was arguably the most double-teamed perimeter player ever. Lets not act like there was strictly nothing but one-on-one man to man defense back then.

/thread

NBA rookie of the year

But than again if they would chuck as hard, I can see guys like Bron, Wade, Melo, Kobe, Iverson, Durant... do it to.
    So you're saying these guys are as good a scorer as Jordan? You just outed yourself. What a joke.

Only Kobe is even in the conversation. Jordan takes a steaming SH!T on Bron/Wade/Melo/Iverson as a scorer.

He is GOAT, not GOD.

I'm confused, because how did players like Iverson rather than declining as an older player averaged 30ppg, 4 point ppg more than the previous year, and 33ppg the following year, after the rule changes. Shouldn't the opposite be happening? And Nash suddenly shooting over 50% for the 1st time ever, and every year after. And many other superstars suddenly scoring more points per game than the previous year. Not to mention that the NBA stated that the reasons for the rule changes was to have guards scoring more. And how old are you. I usually only hear that there was no double teaming in the 90s on youtube, and when I check their profile they are always under 20 years old.
    Last edited by jstern; 07-19-2011 at 01:32 PM.

Troll who tries to provoke you

Lightbulb Re: Could Michael Jordan score 40 ppg in this era?

'86-'90 MJ can ave 42-43ppg easily in this today's era.

Back then it was tough for Bulls to get to 50 wins season cuz of balanced offense vs solid defense that was required for a 50+wins team.

Today, NBA talent is weak, defense is very weak & eurotrash & high school infants are not really tested in NCAA & relaxed defensive rules are favoring this run & gun offense without real fundamentals needed to be applied.

MJ today will be averaging 42-43ppg easily with tons of free throws every game. you touch him its foul. With his lightening first step & ability to pull up, spot up, fadeaway, turnaround any where inside the half court.

Major incentive for MJ to ave 42-43ppg is getting closer to 60 wins. Today, the more efficiently you score, more wins your team has. MJ will even bust out an ave of 45ppg season just to get to 60 wins cuz he was the most efficient scorer on his team & a determination to win his first Reg Sea MVP title with 62 win season.

Its lot lot lot easy these days. One reason why NBA is really boring now.

Quote Originally Posted by OldSchoolBBall
    So you're saying these guys are as good a scorer as Jordan? You just outed yourself. What a joke.

Only Kobe is even in the conversation. Jordan takes a steaming SH!T on Bron/Wade/Melo/Iverson as a scorer.
    Not at all. I am just saying that these players could do that if they took like 30 fga per game. And not, Kobe is not better scorer than any of those guys (maybe Iverson). But that is my opinion. Kobe will soon (in two years probably) break an all time record in most missed fga.

ThaSwagg3r
    Fan in the Stands (unregistered)

I see him averaging in the 35-40 ppg area. It's not that defenses are worse today. It's just a lot easier to get to the line in today's game than it was back then. MJ would average at least 13-15 FTA per game.

Banned

Not at all. I am just saying that these players could do that if they took like 30 fga per game. And not, Kobe is not better scorer than any of those guys (maybe Iverson). But that is my opinion. Kobe will soon (in two years probably) break an all time record in most missed fga.
    Scoring ability and scoring efficiency are two different things. Kobe can score in more ways than all of those guys