Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Euroleague 2012-13 Teams

This is subject to change, based on the playoffs results of the national leagues, but so far it looks like this:

Listed by league rankings (this will change probably when the new league rankings come out this summer):

From Spain (regular season teams):

1. Barca
    2. Baskonia
    3. Real Madrid
    4. Malaga

From Italy (regular season teams):

5. Siena
    6. Milan
    7. Sassari

From Greece (regular season teams):

8. Olympiacos
    9. Panathinaikos

From Russia (regular season teams):

10. CSKA
    11. Khimky

From France (regular season teams):

12. French Champion

From Turkey (regular season teams):

13. Efes
    14. Besiktas
    15. Fenerbahce

From Lithuania (regular season teams):

16. Zalgiris

From Serbia (Adriatic League) (regular season teams):

17. Partizan

From Croatia (Adriatic League) (regular season teams):

18. Cedevita

From Slovenia (Adriatic League) (regular season teams):

19. Olimpija

From Germany (regular season teams):

20. Brose (doubt anyone beats them)

From Poland (regular season teams):

21. Prokom (they should make it)

From Israel (regular season teams):

22. Maccabi

Eurocup Champion:

23. Khimky (also qualified directly through their national league)

Qualifying Round Winner:

24. Qualifying Round Winner

OK, so counting the contracts, and the likely playoff results, we have:

1. Barca
    2. Baskonia
    3. Real Madrid
    4. Malaga
    5. Siena
    6. Milan
    7. Sassari
    8. Olympiacos
    9. Panathinaikos
    10. CSKA
    11. Khimky
    12. French Champion
    13. Efes
    14. Besiktas
    15. Fenerbahce
    16. Zalgiris
    17. Partizan
    18. Cedevita
    19. Olimpija
    20. Brose
    21. Prokom
    22. Maccabi
    23. Eurocup Champion (Valencia as a wild card?)
    24. Qualifying Round Winner

Prokom is ranked last in the contract rankings, so they could lose their contract. But, the Polish League champion still automatically qualifies. So they will be in regardless, if they just win the Polish League.

Siena might lose their contract because they don't have a 10,000 minimum (fan seats) arena. A few days ago, Bertomeu said that Milan should get their contract if they don't solve their arena issue. So, there would still be no changes in the places there.

So, I guess the question is then, which team would get Prokom's contract?

The other issue is, which team will get Khimky's Eurocup place, since they qualified through their national league directly? In the past, when this has happened, the Eurocup runner-up was given the place as a wildcard. So does that mean that Valencia will get it? They will probably finish 4th in Spain, so it's hard to tell. Although the rules do allow for 5 teams from one country, and they seem to like having 5 teams from Spain.

So most likely, Valencia probably gets that spot, as a wildcard.
    Last edited by Euroleague; 05-28-2012 at 07:31 AM.

Default Re: Euroleague 2012-13 Teams

For the 8 qualifying round teams.......we can't really say. Because the league rankings, when they get updated this summer, are probably going to change that. Under the current league rankings, the 8 teams would be:

1. 2nd place from France
    2. 3rd place from Greece
    3. Belgian Champions
    4. Latvian Champions
    5. Ukrainian Champions
    6. 2nd place from Lithuania
    7. Adriatic League Wildcard
    8. Adriatic League Wildcard

But, with the new league rankings this will probably change. I don't understand why they are lowering the number of qualifying round teams from 16, down to 8, with only one team having a chance to qualify. That's stupid.
    Last edited by Euroleague; 05-23-2012 at 06:55 AM.

I feel devotion Fiba basketball's Avatar

Partizan will play even if they dont win Serbian league because its Adriatic league that counts and Partizan got enough points in February ( I think ) to play in EL .

Quote Originally Posted by Fiba basketball
    Partizan will play even if they dont win Serbian league because its Adriatic league that counts and Partizan got enough points in February ( I think ) to play in EL .
    Bertomeu just said that the national championships are where the points come from in the next ranking. So for next year, it is the points from the championship that count.

Quote Originally Posted by Euroleague
    Bertomeu just said that the national championships are where the points come from in the next ranking. So for next year, it is the points from the championship that count.
    Ex Yugoslavia countries get there points from Adriatic league . Many people in Serbia arent happy aboute that and want to stop playing in ABA league but than teams wouldnt be able to play in European compatitions .

Ex Yugoslavia countries get there points from Adriatic league . Many people in Serbia arent happy aboute that and want to stop playing in ABA league but than teams wouldnt be able to play in European compatitions .
    I am just telling you what Bertomeu said. He just said like a week ago that the new rankings that come out this summer decide the places in Euroleague through the national leagues, for United League and Adriatic League clubs.

Because it is a new national league ranking.

The points won't apply until after next year for the regional leagues, since the rankings are being changed again.

I am just going by what Bertomeu said. Of course, he changes his decisions and mind several times on all of these things.

IMO there's no way the ACB league gets another Euroleague spot.

Quote Originally Posted by chains5000
    IMO there's no way the ACB league gets another Euroleague spot.
    Of course they won't. The max allowed is 3 places through your league. Only the first 3 place Spanish teams get a place.

They are not changing that rule.

Besides, Bertomeu said that they are keeping the rule that only 5 teams from one league can play in Euroleague, counting contracts and Eurocup winners.

So yeah, the Spanish League isn't getting any more places.

Vuelle beat Cantu, so Cantu lost their place. As of right now, Sassari would be the 3rd Italian team.

There are talks that in future only first two teams from ABA will go directly to EL , third best team will play qualifications .

There are talks that in future only first two teams from ABA will go directly to EL , third best team will play qualifications .
    Yeah, I heard about this. Euroleague wants the 2nd placed German League club to get a place. At first they wanted to eliminate Greece's 3rd team having a qualification spot, but I think that would never go over with the Greek League, by eliminating any chance for any team other than PAO and Olympiacos to play in Euroleague. No way should one of the top 2-3 domestic leagues still, agree to that.

Now they are talking about changing places in Adriatic League and also Italian League. Which is even funnier, because that would give the 2nd German club a regular season place.

Seriously...........no way in hell does the 2nd German team deserve a place. In the qualification round? Maybe. But no way in hell for the regular season.

Euroleague is always bending over backwards to help the French and German teams. It's stupid. Out of both leagues together, there is one good decent, not even good, just decent, team in Brose.

Of course, the Adriatic League has way too many places also. The only team from the Adriatic League deserves a place directly is Partizan. Other teams like Cedevita, Zagreb, Cibona, Olimpija are basically a joke.

Then you have teams like Buducnost getting into the qualifying rounds, which doesn't even make sense. Really, I think Adriatic should just have two places, and give the 3rd and 4th place teams a qualification spot.

As it is now, Adriatic League has way too many places. The decent team in the whole league is Partizan. So, even giving them 2 places directly and several qualification places is being really generous. And no way does the Adriatic League need 3 direct places. It just adds more 0-10 to 3-7 regular season teams.
    Last edited by Euroleague; 05-27-2012 at 03:29 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Euroleague
    Yeah, I heard about this. Euroleague wants the 2nd placed German League club to get a place. At first they wanted to eliminate Greece's 3rd team having a qualification spot, but I think that would never go over with the Greek League, by eliminating any chance for any team other than PAO and Olympiacos to play in Euroleague. No way should one of the top 2-3 domestic leagues still, agree to that.

Now they are talking about changing places in Adriatic League and also Italian League. Which is even funnier, because that would give the 2nd German club a regular season place.

Seriously...........no way in hell does the 2nd German team deserve a place. In the qualification round? Maybe. But no way in hell for the regular season.

Euroleague is always bending over backwards to help the French and German teams. It's stupid. Out of both leagues together, there is one good decent, not even good, just decent, team in Brose.

Of course, the Adriatic League has way too many places also. The only team from the Adriatic League deserves a place directly is Partizan. Other teams like Cedevita, Zagreb, Cibona, Olimpija are basically a joke.

Then you have teams like Buducnost getting into the qualifying rounds, which doesn't even make sense. Really, I think Adriatic should just have two places, and give the 3rd and 4th place teams a qualification spot.

As it is now, Adriatic League has way too many places. The decent team in the whole league is Partizan. So, even giving them 2 places directly and several qualification places is being really generous. And no way does the Adriatic League need 3 direct places. It just adds more 0-10 to 3-7 regular season teams.
    The problem is that national leagues than wont have any value . If only two teams that are best in ABA go to EL whats the point of playing in national leagues ?

The problem is that national leagues than wont have any value . If only two teams that are best in ABA go to EL whats the point of playing in national leagues ?
    I don't know. Why don't they make a promotion and relegation system in Adriatic League, and let the national clubs all compete that way?

Apparently, Euroleague wanted to eliminate Greece's 3rd place team in the qualifying rounds, as one of the spots lost, taking it down from 16 qualifiying round places to 8.

But Panionios supposedly told Euroleague that they will move into a new, state of the art, 8,500 seat arena if Greece keeps the qualifying round place.

So now the owner of Panionios supposedly has a meeting with Jordi Bertomeu to finalize this.

This is more proof of Euroleague simply giving places by money and arenas. Because they were going to drop Greece's place in the qualifying rounds, even though the Greek League said that under the new league rankings, Greece would move into #2 place, up from #3, even though Euroleague takes points away from the league, due to "small arenas and bad attendance".

But then, suddenly, Panionios' owner tells Euroleague that he will pay for the team to move into a nice, new 8,500 seat arena, and suddenly they are back in the picture for a qualification round place.

I think this is pretty much proof that Euroleague is not even basing places on game results at all anymore, even though they keep claiming that they are.

How else could the Greek League move up in the league rankings, and actually lose a place? Then only regain it if Panionios moved into a new arena.

I understand the arena issue, but I think they are taking it too far. The quality of the teams and leagues that get places in the competition should be the first issue, then the arenas. Not the other way around.
    Last edited by Euroleague; 05-29-2012 at 06:18 AM.

Euroleague released the new rankings for the national/regional leagues of Europe.

1. Spanish League
    2. United League (international regional league)
    3. Greek League
    4. Italian League
    5. Turkish League
    6. French League
    7. German League
    8. Lithuanian League
    9. Adriatic League (international regional league)
    10. Belgian League
    11. Czech League
    12. Ukrainian League
    13. Israeli League
    14. Polish League
    15. Bulgarian League
    16. Dutch League
    17. Latvian League

The places in Euroleague and Eurocup are going to be reset based on these new rankings.