Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
    Saw a basketball once

Default Shooting Arm Sleeves

Does anyone know why the players wear these sleeves? http://www.uniquesportsaccessories.c...productId=1279

My son want me to buy him one - I just want to know if it has a purpose or is just for looks?

Default Re: Shooting Arm Sleeves

It's strictly for fashion/covering up tattoos.

NBA lottery pick

Quote Originally Posted by reggiekaty
    Does anyone know why the players wear these sleeves? http://www.uniquesportsaccessories.c...productId=1279

My son want me to buy him one - I just want to know if it has a purpose or is just for looks?
    I'm sure he does. I'm sure it's a complete coincidence that this is being discussed in the t-shirt thread and the fact that you have 5 posts on your account means you're new, not that you're a secondary account.

Mathius

NBA lottery pick

Quote Originally Posted by LJJ
    It's strictly for fashion/covering up tattoos.
    Why would Kobe, Hamilton, Lebron, Iverson, Dwayne Wade, etc. all wear these to cover up the tattoos only on their shooting arm?

I think you are confused. Lebron has been known to wear one when covering up NEW ink, and that has been documented, but I seriously doubt that's the reason they wear them on their shooting arm for 82 games.

If Hamilton was worried about fashion, he'd take off that ridiculous mask.

Mathius

Quote Originally Posted by Mathius
    Why would Kobe, Hamilton, Lebron, Iverson, Dwayne Wade, etc. all wear these to cover up the tattoos only on their shooting arm?

I think you are confused. Lebron has been known to wear one when covering up NEW ink, and that has been documented, but I seriously doubt that's the reason they wear them on their shooting arm for 82 games.

If Hamilton was worried about fashion, he'd take off that ridiculous mask.

Mathius
    That's what the dash is for. I know Iverson supposedly has his to cover an offensive tattoo, but most wear them for fashion.

Nothing wrong with that though, but let's not pretend it does something it doesn't do.

Quote Originally Posted by LJJ
    That's what the dash is for. I know Iverson supposedly has his to cover an offensive tattoo, but most wear them for fashion.

Nothing wrong with that though, but let's not pretend it does something it doesn't do.
    yeah it's mostly a fashion thing, but we're starting to see sleeves that have a pad in them at the elbow. I was thinking it might help not to overstretch the arm while shooting too lazy to google it.

because rip hamilton doesn't cut his nails

NBA lottery pick

Ok, so here's what 5 minutes found. They're supposed to keep your arm warmed up and help you keep proper shooting form as well as keep muscles from overstretching or cramping. Presumably these claims are made by the manufacturer.

Some people also credit them with keeping sweat off your shooting hand, but having never been known to sweat from my hand, I can't personally speak for how often this would happen.

What it is: A form-fitting sleeve, typically made from a synthetic blend of nylon and spandex, that's worn over the forearm and bicep or your shooting arm.

What it's supposed to do: Keep the shooting arm warm, prevent muscles from cramping or overstretching, and help you maintain proper shooting form.

What it actually does: Looks cool. Makes your arm sweaty.

What it says about you: The shooting sleeve was first popularized by Allen Iverson and has been worn by other fan-favorites such as Dwyane Wade and Carmelo Anthony. Yes, those guys are All-Stars, but don't be fooled; this is not a performance-enhancing device. NBA players may claim that the sleeve provides some kind of superficial assistance to their play, but we all know it's more of a fashion statement than anything else, like cornrows, tattoos, and Kobe Bryant's Peter Pan-style tights.

If you currenty wear or have worn a shooting sleeve, you're probably the kind of person who wants to artificially improve your performance without actually practicing. Furthermore, you want other players to know, simply by seeing your pimped-out appearance, that you are a serious baller. This is just a guess, but you probably also pay way too much for shoes (I'm talking easily $100+ per pair), wear throwback jerseys to your pickup league, and maybe even own an official pair of NBA socks (making sure the logo is prominently displayed during games). In short, you take pickup basketball, and yourself, a little -- scratch that, a lot -- too seriously.
    http://basketbawful.blogspot.com/200...ng-sleeve.html

Why do basketball players where the shooter sleeve???
    First question: Why do they where it in the first place?
    Second question: Why do some of them where it on there left arm when they shoot right handed??

Best Answer - Chosen by Asker
    stop sweat from rolling down their arm to their hand. OR if its on the opp. hand they shoot with, they rub their hand on it to get rid of sweat with their shooting hand.
    http://answers.yahoo.com/question/in...7181101AA06EEJ

Mathius
    Last edited by Mathius; 03-05-2009 at 11:55 AM.

keeps their arms warm when theyre on the bench so their shooting touch doesnt get cold.

What it's supposed to do: Keep the shooting arm warm, prevent muscles from cramping or overstretching, and help you maintain proper shooting form.

What it actually does: Looks cool. Makes your arm sweaty.

BirdOverrated
    Fan in the Stands (unregistered)

Iverson and Vince had worn these before.

But Kobe, being the envied player and trendsetter he is. After he won the MVP wearing it, everyone started wearing it.

Saw a basketball once

How about the one's wade had for his shoulder? Do those help at all.. I have a bad shoulder myself

There is no dark side Rockbttm88's Avatar

Compression cannot be overlooked for helping your weak arm. For example, I'm a righty and shoot with my right hand. My left arm is very "floppy" compared to the right and wearing a sleeve makes it easier to control, and it actually feels stronger with the sleeve.

It's something that cant be explained.

i wear a sleeve on my right knee because it's never healed quite perfectly from a tear and it just feels weaker than the other knee. The sleeve allows it to move less and gives me better support. Otherwise i occasionally "Step wrong" for lack of a better term, an it hurts and its harder for me to push off.

i dont know about the arm sleeves but i wear one on my pen0r so that i always have proper form in bed.