Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Banned

Default Re: WTF Military Training

So our marines and SEALs are still the best but our regular enlisted army men are below their previous standards?

So many British people always tell me SAS are better trained than Marines and SEALs, but I suppose that is probably just British propaganda, and those British people don't know what they're talking about. The whole country seems convinced that the SAS is the most elite special forces unit in the world.

Is SEAL training like the movies and people can tap out at any time if shit becomes too much for them? How'd this dude die in training?

How come our guys are better than SPETSNAZ? Isn't their training extremely spartan and brutal compared to ours because they don't have PC politicians breathing down their necks, or is that too propaganda?

Quote Originally Posted by Dresta

I'm sure the societal repudiation of masculinity has a lot to do with it. All warrior cultures have placed a massive emphasis on it for this reason. Spartan women were more masculine in temperament than most english and american men are today.
    This is also BS, the western nations want to fight "clean" wars. But you can't win wars in a clean way. It started in Vietnam when the media started covering wars, one picture of a burning little child and everybody wanted to stop the "brutal war" the allies ****ing atom bombed japanese civilians to win WW2. Imagine social media existed back in the WW2 days, no way the western allies would have won the war.

The men are the same, but they are not allowed to fight any more.

Quote Originally Posted by 9erempiree

More intervention and more bombs.

Drones have made it easier to strike without risking American lives but at the same time they are reckless enough to kill innocent people.

Nobody has an idea on what to do. They are drones....oh look...its very easy to strike.
    See, you are proving my point.

Quote Originally Posted by Nick Young
    So our marines and SEALs are still the best but our regular enlisted army men are below their previous standards?

So many British people always tell me SAS are better trained than Marines and SEALs, but I suppose that is probably just British propaganda, and those British people don't know what they're talking about. The whole country seems convinced that the SAS is the most elite special forces unit in the world.

Is SEAL training like the movies and people can tap out at any time if shit becomes too much for them? How'd this dude die in training?

How come our guys are better than SPETSNAZ? Isn't their training extremely spartan and brutal compared to ours because they don't have PC politicians breathing down their necks, or is that too propaganda?
    Marines aren't special forces. The Marine Corps has their own special forces units called Marine Recon. They're basically snipers, counter terrorism units and FAST units. They are basically SEALS or Army Green Berets. The Navy has SEALS, the army has Green Berets, the Marines have Force Recon.

Yes, BUDS is very intense. Off the top of my head, I'd guess 85% don't pass. You can quit whenever you want, it's not mandatory. You have to be in the armed forces first to apply to the school, and they only pick the best of the best. Honestly, I could have physically made it though BUDS, but mentally when they drown you, or make you tread in freezing water for hours in the middle of the night... that's brutal. A lot of guys in the military in good physical condition could make it, but it's that mental aspect where people drop out.

The SAS is legit, I would say the SAS, SPETSNAZ, and the SEALS and Marine Recon are more or less equal. There's a lot more Green Berets than there are SEALS and Recon Marines.

I would say the Russian special forces may be slightly behind, but only because they don't have the technology or intelligence that the US and UK have.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by UK2K
    Marines aren't special forces. The Marine Corps has their own special forces units called Marine Recon. They're basically snipers, counter terrorism units and FAST units. They are basically SEALS or Army Green Berets. The Navy has SEALS, the army has Green Berets, the Marines have Force Recon.

Yes, BUDS is very intense. Off the top of my head, I'd guess 85% don't pass. You can quit whenever you want, it's not mandatory. You have to be in the armed forces first to apply to the school, and they only pick the best of the best. Honestly, I could have physically made it though BUDS, but mentally when they drown you, or make you tread in freezing water for hours in the middle of the night... that's brutal. A lot of guys in the military in good physical condition could make it, but it's that mental aspect where people drop out.

The SAS is legit, I would say the SAS, SPETSNAZ, and the SEALS and Marine Recon are more or less equal. There's a lot more Green Berets than there are SEALS and Recon Marines.

I would say the Russian special forces may be slightly behind, but only because they don't have the technology or intelligence that the US and UK have.
    Thanks for the in depth reply.

Quote Originally Posted by Nick Young
    Thanks for the in depth reply.
    If you've heard of the Lonely Survivor story, this is Marcus Luttrell speaking on it.

The video is an hour long, but once you watch the first minute or two, you'll be hooked. He talks about his childhood and what led him to become a SEAL, and obviously he goes in depth about what happened on the mountain that day.

https://vimeo.com/95161028

Good stuff. I watch videos like this all the time. That's how you stay motivated. I say 'it can always be worse', and I meant it, because Ive been there and I see these guys and hear their stories.

I read the book years ago, but I think he talks a bit about SEAL training here.

It starts at the 14 minute mark. He said there were 164 guys in his class, and 10 finished.
    Last edited by UK2K; 07-21-2016 at 05:51 PM.

Banned

Thanks.

I spoke to my friend and he said British SAS have a 32 week selection process and a 4 year training process before becoming fully fledged SAS.

Is it possible that SEAL training compares to that even though the training period is much shorter?

How are our guys better than dudes who train for 3 years longer?