Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Local High School Star alexthegod's Avatar

Default Re: The reason I think "Hack-a-Shaq" must be changed

How about...make your damn free throws!

I have no issues with the Hack a whoever. It forces the player to make his shots or forces the coach to take him out.

Very good NBA starter

Quote Originally Posted by alexthegod
    How about...make your damn free throws!

I have no issues with the Hack a whoever. It forces the player to make his shots or forces the coach to take him out.
    This is about entertainment.

And you don't additionally penalize players who can't dribble the ball or play defense.

Quote Originally Posted by Magic 32
    This is about entertainment.

And you don't additionally penalize players who can't dribble the ball or play defense.
    I'll agree its not pretty to watch at times, but it is not a penalty. bad defenders get exposed, they get pulled out of the game, bad dribblers make turnovers they get pulled from the game, bad free throwers, well pull them out then.

I would argue that you are rewarding a bad free thrower by making it harder to send him to the line.

If there is a bad defender there is no rule to stop you from taking advantage of him. No rule for protecting a bad dribbler. There should be no rule to protect a bad free thrower.

In all reality it comes down to just a few star players that cant make their free throws. Just because 3 or 4 players cant hit their free throws, you need to change rules?

Quote Originally Posted by kennethgriffin
    it doesnt even work. this has been proven countless times

even if youre a 50% free throw shooter. youl make 1 out of 2 each time up the floor

thats 2 points every 2 possessions

which is 50% fg's

most teams hope to hit 50% of their shots
    It would seem on paper you are correct. However in reality you are also taking the opposing offense out of their rhythm. Score back to back baskets and you've just outscored your opponent 4-2. Then when you stop doing it, it can very likely mess up a few of your opponents offensive possessions. Sometimes interrupting the opposing offense is even more effective than the potential misses at the free throw line. Gets the other team thinking instead of playing on instinct.

Very good NBA starter

bad defenders get exposed, they get pulled out of the game, bad dribblers make turnovers they get pulled from the game, bad free throwers, well pull them out then.
    I don't think you reward anybody for bad FT shooting by not fouling them in non-basketball acts.

I just don't agree.

bad defenders get exposed and gets scored on.

bad dribblers make turnovers and it leads to points in the other end.

bad free throwers miss free throws and don't get as many points when they get fouled during shots or goes for and-1's

But you don't stop the game and make the bad defender go one-on-one or make the bad dribbler the point guard for 2 minutes.
    Last edited by Magic 32; 02-06-2016 at 01:38 AM.

Made that high school varsity squad Goofsta Knicca's Avatar

Convert it to a 3 point play like dis goofyass knicca: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BRfAc86KpxI

Rules aren't modified for other weaknesses because they don't stop the game play.

NBA Legend and Hall of Famer tpols's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by LAZERUSS
    Or allow the dunking of FTAs.

Like Chamberlain was doing in the mid-50's. Let a player take three steps from behind the FT line, and jump behind from the line.

Has to be a dunk, though.
    that.. would be a tremendous waste of energy

Banned

Don't change the rule over half a dozen guys.

Quote Originally Posted by Smook B
    Don't change the rule over half a dozen guys.
    The rule wouldn't be changed for the players, it would be changed for the crybaby bitches who get bored by free throws.

NBA Superstar

I'll agree its not pretty to watch at times, but it is not a penalty. bad defenders get exposed, they get pulled out of the game, bad dribblers make turnovers they get pulled from the game, bad free throwers, well pull them out then.

I would argue that you are rewarding a bad free thrower by making it harder to send him to the line.

If there is a bad defender there is no rule to stop you from taking advantage of him. No rule for protecting a bad dribbler. There should be no rule to protect a bad free thrower.

In all reality it comes down to just a few star players that cant make their free throws. Just because 3 or 4 players cant hit their free throws, you need to change rules?
    I believe the issue is complicated by the fact that the strategy used as a means of exploiting another team's weakness (free throw shooting) is a purposeful illegal act.

Penalties were created in basketball to prevent and dissuade teams from breaking the rules... because breaking the rules of the game means someone's not playing the game correctly.

As it stands, through a loophole (one that most often doesn't exist at other levels such as FIBA and high school), teams have been able to find a way to purposely break the rules as a means of benefiting (basically, they're committing intentional fouls without having them considered intentional).

I believe the onus is the league in this case, not the free throw shooter. The idea is to implement rules that can't be circumvented as a means of yielding positive results from purposely committing illegal acts.

It's not about protecting a bad free throw shooter to me. It's about not giving a defensive unit the cop out of trying to succeed by purposely failing.

Poor free throw shooters are going to hamper teams regardless. Removing the backcourt intentional hug will simply rid of a ridiculous glitch in the system.

5-time NBA All-Star

The league can't be having $500 tickets and the game looking horrible. It just kills a game. Lower the ticket prices if a team with a bad free throw shooter is on it. I would Its not basketball.

with God-given ass JimmyMcAdocious's Avatar

How many players actually regularly get hack-a-shaq-ed? Like a handful? DJ, Drummond, Dwight, who else?

Also what's with the D named players not able to shoot FTs?

modern nba fans are just dumb bandwagoners who don't have time to watch the entire game, because they have a strict timeline for their hipster/corporate/soccer mom nights out. They want to see the big athletic players that dunk, not basketball. That's how they are able to fill that facebook/instagram/twitter to justify for being there. Just look at the fcking crowds and you'll see why silver is doing this, besides curry/kobe/lebron/wade/harden they can't even name other players.

When is the last time you talked to one of these fagqots? The old ones still think MJ would compete in this league at 50 and the new ones think curry's daughter is cute and that's why he is their favorite player.

Just another rule to shit on the game, nothing new here. Y'all people need to see the writing on the wall here, NBA is getting into asia/japan, and it needs to cater to that high basketball IQ audience. Soon there won't be any freethrows, just dunks from the FT line.

Quote Originally Posted by Pointguard
    The league can't be having $500 tickets and the game looking horrible. It just kills a game. Lower the ticket prices if a team with a bad free throw shooter is on it. I would Its not basketball.
    That is not happening. The real game is money. You will never be commish.