Page 10 of 13 FirstFirst ... 78910111213 LastLast
    How does my Dirk taste creepingdeath's Avatar

Default Re: Jordan Says Only 4 Current Player Could Play in His Era

Kobe, Timmy, Dirk, Lebron

Sounds about right. The master has spoken.

And comparing Miller to Mullin is flat out nuts. Mullin wasn't fast running the floor but his release on his shot was much faster than Miller. Miller had to be open with his feet set to make a j. Mullin could get his shot off even when someone was on him because he had a quick release and didn't need to be squared up.

I seriously doubt Mike Miller could drop 38 on the '91 Bulls.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fHg736-JiWQ

Miller has never even averaged 19 for a season. Mullin had 5 straight seasons averaging 25+.
    Last edited by tontoz; 02-16-2013 at 12:28 AM.

Keep it tight for me The-Legend-24's Avatar

Guys like James Harden would be putting up 30+ if they played in the 90's.

soundcloud.com/agua-1 andgar923's Avatar

MJ is one of the few that have played in the 80s, 90s, and 00k era. He's also intimately involved in today's era, and has played vs some of the best every era has to offer.

I think it was a throwaway comment and not something he gave much thought. Either way, im sure he has some insight that very few do.

Didn't Jordan say something about Durant "is coming" when Ahmad asked him about KD? I don't know, that makes it sound like Durant would be good enough to play in his era. Granted, there's obviously more than those 4 from this era that could've played and been very good players in the 80's and 90's.

But I don't think he meant for it to be taken that way anyway.

Quote Originally Posted by andgar923
    MJ is one of the few that have played in the 80s, 90s, and 00k era.
    Interesting trivia question...sorta. Just because this made me start trying to remember players that were around during Magic and Bird's prime, the prime of Jordan and other greats in the 90's, and the earl to mid 00's when Shaq, Kobe, Duncan, and Garnett were in their prime. The first three that came to mind were Jordan, Malone, and Stockton. And A.C. Green, too, just because I knew he was on the Showtime Lakers and on the first Shaq/Kobe Laker championship team.

Quote Originally Posted by The-Legend-24
    Guys like James Harden would be putting up 30+ if they played in the 90's.

Right, because todays defenders at the 2 are so tough.

Curry
    Monta
    Beal
    Waiters
    Gordon (Eric and Ben)
    Harden
    Redick
    Terry
    Crawford

They didn't have shutdown defenders like that in the 90s.

Quote Originally Posted by tontoz
    Right, because todays defenders at the 2 are so tough.

Curry
    Monta
    Beal
    Waiters
    Gordon (Eric and Ben)
    Harden
    Redick
    Terry
    Crawford

They didn't have shutdown defenders like that in the 90s.
    Yes, because as EVERYBODY knows, we're now living in the era of man-to-man defense.

Quote Originally Posted by NumberSix
    Yes, because as EVERYBODY knows, we're now living in the era of man-to-man defense.

Man to man has been the dominant defense in every era, including this one. Very few teams play much zone. I think Dallas was the only team i saw using it with any regularity.

Guard scoring went up as soon as the new rules went into effect.

Complete Player

Quote Originally Posted by jlip
    @ bolded

This is the point that so many people miss when addressing how people would perform in different eras. A person (especially great players) plays the way the game is played during their time. If rules, styles, etc. change the players have the ability to adjust. We see it all the time. Great players often adapt to the different defenses of the opponents they face during the course of a season.
    Yeah, I saw how the players adapted to "tough" defenses in this era. They flopped their asses off It wasn't enough for offensive players that Stern handcuffed defenders in 2005 to inflate their scoring numbers. They started flailing and screaming like bitches to get even more cheap whistles. I'm not surprised Jordan is trolling the league after having to witness the kind of bullshit players have pulled.

Quote Originally Posted by KyrieTheFuture
    I absolutely agree actually. Wade *****s way way too much to make it in that era, Durant is too weak, KG...idk he could probably do it but who knows how he'd deal with real tough guys.
    Against the so called physical defenses of todays basketball, Wade has performed better than Kobe or Lebron in that regard. Jordan is an idiot.

College superstar

Quote Originally Posted by hitmanyr2k
    Yeah, I saw how the players adapted to "tough" defenses in this era. They flopped their asses off It wasn't enough for offensive players that Stern handcuffed defenders in 2005 to inflate their scoring numbers. They started flailing and screaming like bitches to get even more cheap whistles. I'm not surprised Jordan is trolling the league after having to witness the kind of bullshit players have pulled.
    Evidently you confuse me with one of these young fans who just started watching in the Kobe era. I'm actually older than Kobe himself and started watching the game right before MJ entered his prime. I never once made made any declarations about either era being "tough." I spoke of the ability of players (great players especially) to transcend eras by adapting to the rules and styles of whatever era they are in. If flopping is what is "en vogue" during an era, guess what, the players will do that. If it is restricted via rule and referee enforcement then players will limit it just as they are doing this season. In addition to that, flopping became popular during MJ's era. Did you ever see Rodman and Reggie Miller play?

Also, I love how history is being rewritten. I remember the Bad Boy Pistons complaining about MJ crying to the refs. I remember during their championship runs opposing teams and players speaking of how the Bulls were the recipients of favorable treatment from refs benefiting from ticky tack, touch fouls. I remember this Dream Team photo with Magic, Bird, and MJ , with Magic jokingly saying to Bird like, "Don't get too close to Michael, you might get called for a foul."

I'm not here to determine which era was tougher. I really don't care, but as I said in another post I'm a little tired of my generation turning into our parents embracing this "Back in the day, everything was so tough we had to walk 10 miles up a hill, barefoot, in the snow just to go to the bathroom" mentality. The Wilt generation said the same thing about the Magic, Bird, and MJ era, claiming that Wilt would average 70 points in the 80's and 90's. The truth is ultimately we can't definitively conclude which era was tougher. At the end of the day, people are emotionally attached to whatever era they played in or grew up watching. In 2040, 15 year olds today who are watching Lebron, will be telling their children that whoever the superstar is at that time would not be able to play in the "tough Lebron era."

NBA lottery pick Lakers_Kobe_Fan's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by SilkkTheShocker
    durant would go cry to her mama every time he is fouled hard.....

Quote Originally Posted by SilkkTheShocker

No KG, Wade, Durant, etc?
    Dude is literally the golden boy of a rule changed league

Where's Carmelo Anthony?

Melo is better than Glenn Rice, Chris Mullins, Steve Smith, and a better playoffs performer than Pistons Grant Hill.

He's a top 5 player in the NBA this season.