Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Default Re: Is Tim Duncan better than Marc Gasol?

Quote Originally Posted by plowking
    This thread is a backfire. Duncan has literally choked everything in the 4th and the two overtimes.

Watch him hit a 3 to win now...
    Close enough.

NBA lottery pick

Quote Originally Posted by LAZERUSS
    A 38 year old Duncan is still better than a prime Gasol that some have claimed is an MVP candidate.
    That's my GOAT!

Learning to shoot layups

Quote Originally Posted by Im Still Ballin
    Tim is murdering Marc

I rule the local playground dontgetchoked's Avatar

we gonna act like zbo wasn't getting busy tonight though? 21 points 20 rebounds and scored all memphis' points in the last OT. all this marc gasol talk and people are forgetting my man zach. averaging 16/11 in 31 mpg

Tim Duncan throwing the game away while Marc Gasol taking over down the stretch.

But yeah, Duncan at this point is the better player... There isn't a facepalm big enough to show how stupid that statement is.

True, who would have thought that Gasol's "defense" would limit Duncan to 5-15 from the line....from a player who was shooting .750 coming in?

And of course, who would have thought that Gasol was going to hit the game-tying THREE, in a season in which he had not hit ANY, and who had made seven in his seven year career, and shot 14% in doing so?

Furthermore, your "clutch" Marc didn't take a shot, nor get a rebound, and committed a TO, in the third OT.

And BTW, a 38 year old Duncan just played 48 minutes (to a 29 year old Gasol's 46.)

The reality was, Gasol struggled to defend Duncan one-on-one, and was beaten in every other aspect of the game.

So, if Timmy had hit his normal 67% from the line...SA would have won the game. And, he also would have outscored Gasol, 28-26 (instead of being outscored 26-23); outrebounded Gasol, 16-9; outassisted Gasol, 5-2; and outblocked Gasol, 3-2.

I would take a 38 year old Duncan in a big game 100% of the time over Gasol.
    Last edited by LAZERUSS; 12-18-2014 at 02:14 AM.

Kobelicious

Gasol, at this point, is the perfect successor for Timmy,
    put him in the pop system, and watch him win 5 and get into top 10

Quote Originally Posted by DMAVS41
    Duncan really isn't better than Gasol though. It's not a landslide or anything, but Gasol is the better player now.
    Not really. Duncan is better at every aspect of the game, right now, than Gasol is...including defense.

Sorry, but I just don't see it.

But let me ask you this...game seven of the Finals, if it were played this Friday night...who would want at center?

Quote Originally Posted by LAZERUSS
    Not really. Duncan is better at every aspect of the game, right now, than Gasol is...including defense.

Sorry, but I just don't see it.

But let me ask you this...game seven of the Finals, if it were played this Friday night...who would want at center?
    If it were Saturday or even better Sunday (1 day in between games is not enough time to recover after playing almost 48 minutes tonight), Game 7 of the Finals, I'd go with Duncan. He's proven, and I know he'll bring the competitiveness. But one game with no thought of preserving the body is very different from a whole season. As a player ages, the good games are more infrequent instead of the norm night after night.

Of course he isn't.

@plowking: is there some kind of problem? Why are you so mad that a 40 year old played a bad game?

Quote Originally Posted by T_L_P
    Of course he isn't.

@plowking: is there some kind of problem? Why are you so mad that a 40 year old played a bad game?
    I'm not.

Timmy is a top 5 player, one of my personal favourite players, and completely awesome if you ask me.

Currently, he is not better than Gasol, and if anyone thinks so, I have no problem telling them they are wrong, because he just isn't better. It is like me calling Dwyane Wade better than James Harden at this point. It just isn't true.

I'm not.

Timmy is a top 5 player, one of my personal favourite players, and completely awesome if you ask me.

Currently, he is not better than Gasol, and if anyone thinks so, I have no problem telling them they are wrong, because he just isn't better. It is like me calling Dwyane Wade better than James Harden at this point. It just isn't true.
    Alright, no problem. I agree that Tim obviously isn't better, but I'd say that's a given.

Quote Originally Posted by rmt
    If it were Saturday or even better Sunday (1 day in between games is not enough time to recover after playing almost 48 minutes tonight), Game 7 of the Finals, I'd go with Duncan. He's proven, and I know he'll bring the competitiveness. But one game with no thought of preserving the body is very different from a whole season. As a player ages, the good games are more infrequent instead of the norm night after night.
    I agree 100% with this. Furthermore, Pop rests Timmy a ton, so his numbers naturally are nowhere near what he is STILL capable of.

Again, game seven of Finals...and there is no doubt whatsoever, that I would take the 38 year old Duncan over a peak Gasol.

Banned

In all honesty I think Duncan could play well into his 40s and realistically up to 50 and still be very productive

I rule the local playground

Now comparing him with a top 10 of all time?.

I thought you were just a Cousins fan that though he was much better than Marc, but it's proven now that you are only a Marc Gasol's detractor troll.

Did he sleep with your girlfriend or something? Man...