Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops

Go Back   Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops > InsideHoops Main Basketball Forums > Football Forum

Football Forum Football forum - NFL football forum

Old 11-10-2012, 10:52 PM   #1
irondarts

Default Marquess Wilson Leaves Wash St. Accuses Mike Leach and Coaching Staff of Abuse

Quote:
Former Tulare Union star Marquess Wilson announced Saturday that he is leaving the Washington State football program.

Washington State coach Mike Leach suspended Wilson from the team indefinitely on Wednesday for violating an unspecified team rule. It was reported that Wilson walked out of a conditioning session Sunday night following a 49-6 loss to Utah on Nov. 3.

Wilson issued this statement on Saturday:

“Dear Cougar Nation:

“It is with a heavy heart that I announce my decision to forgo playing football for Washington State University. I realize the school is saying that I am suspended for violating team policies and may return next week, but this is a lie. This is an attempt by the athletic department to cover up what is really happening in that locker room.

“It is been a privilege to be a Cougar, to perform on your field and wear the Crimson and Gray. I would like to thank Washington State University for giving me the opportunity to do what I love most, to play football and receive a quality education for the past three years. I’m grateful to the athletic department for the coaching, care and encouragement I have received prior to this season.

“This was going to be our year. My teammates and I were aspiring to be the winning team you deserve. Unfortunately for all, the new coaching staff has destroyed that endeavor. I believe coaches have a chance to mold players, to shape men, to create greatness. However, the new regime of coaches has preferred to belittle, intimidate and humiliate us. This approach has obviously not been successful, and has put a dark shadow on this program.

“My teammates and I have endured this treatment all season long. It is not “tough love”. It is abuse. This abuse cannot be allowed to continue. I feel it is my duty to stand up and shed light on this situation by sacrificing my drams, my education and my pride. I resign from this team. I am deeply sorry to those I am letting down. I am not a quitter. I was raised by my family, and many previous coaches to exhibit dedication and embrace sacrifice, but there comes a time when one has to draw a line in the sand.

“Lastly, I thank my fellow teammates, those who also have left the program this year, and those we are leaving behind. I hope our departure will bring awareness to the physical, emotional and verbal abuse being allowed in the locker room and on the field. I pray for healing and recovery for all those who have been hurt by this treatment

“Sincerely,

Marquess Wilson”

Wilson, a junior, was a 2011 all-Pac-12 second-team selection, and a 2011 second-team All-America selection by Yahoo Sports. He set school single-season records last year with 82 receptions and 1,388 yards receiving. He was widely regarded as a 2012 preseason All-American. He is the school’s all-time leader in receiving yards.

Wilson, a two-time Visalia Times-Delta/Tulare Advance-Register athlete of the year, had 52 receptions for 813 yards and five touchdowns in 2012.

link
irondarts is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2012, 11:33 AM   #2
GOBB
Sixers|Eagles|Phillies

Default Re: Marquess Wilson Leaves Wash St. Accuses Mike Leach and Coaching Staff of Abuse

I'm out the loop on college football but damn. I wonder what the reactions have been.
GOBB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2012, 12:29 PM   #3
JMT
NBA lottery pick

Default Re: Marquess Wilson Leaves Wash St. Accuses Mike Leach and Coaching Staff of Abuse

Quote:
Originally Posted by GOBB
I'm out the loop on college football but damn. I wonder what the reactions have been.

Haven't seen any, but if this has any legs at all, Leach's career is over.
JMT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2012, 03:26 PM   #4
IGotACoolStory
Harry Giles:Next KG

After the Texas Tech crap, I'm surprised a university took him on anyway.
IGotACoolStory is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2012, 03:36 PM   #5
beer
UCLA alumnus

i can't find the thread anymore on the ucla board, but if i remember the number correctly, they said he's one of fourteen players to have quit the team since leach became coach.
beer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2012, 04:00 PM   #6
JMT
NBA lottery pick

Quote:
Originally Posted by beer
i can't find the thread anymore on the ucla board, but if i remember the number correctly, they said he's one of fourteen players to have quit the team since leach became coach.

Per Seattle Times:

Since Leach was hired in January, 17 scholarship players have left or been kicked off the team.

In fairness, that happens pretty frequently when a new coaching regime comes in. 13 players left WSU after the last coach arrived in 2008.
JMT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2012, 11:54 PM   #7
Balla_Status

Quote:
Originally Posted by IGotACoolStory
After the Texas Tech crap, I'm surprised a university took him on anyway.

You realize that was all bullshit right? Craig James' son wasn't getting any playing time so made up some bullshit to get Leach fired.

Leach was also due for a bonus and was fired the day before. Texas Tech was relevant because of Leach.

I'm willing to bet this is a case of a player being a bitchass and not giving effort in practice.

This guy is the star player and probably been given everything his whole life and thinks he can coast in practice. Leach isn't having it so rails on him. Dude becomes a crybaby, wants mommy and so he quits.
Balla_Status is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2012, 11:09 AM   #8
TheSilentKiller
NBA Superstar

Quote:
Originally Posted by Balla_Status
You realize that was all bullshit right? Craig James' son wasn't getting any playing time so made up some bullshit to get Leach fired.

Leach was also due for a bonus and was fired the day before. Texas Tech was relevant because of Leach.

I'm willing to bet this is a case of a player being a bitchass and not giving effort in practice.

This guy is the star player and probably been given everything his whole life and thinks he can coast in practice. Leach isn't having it so rails on him. Dude becomes a crybaby, wants mommy and so he quits.
ISH is thankful to have someone so close to the situation that can say exactly what is going on. What would we do without you?
TheSilentKiller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2012, 11:19 AM   #9
Real Men Wear Green
Your ad here

It's never good to have these accusations come at you from more than one player. Throw in an 0-7 Conference record and there's no reason not to get rid of the guy.
Real Men Wear Green is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2012, 01:00 PM   #10
InspiredLebowski
Roy Hibbert Super Star

Yeah, I was a Leach supporter through the bullshit at Texas Tech. He got railroaded out of there but the Craig James bullshit wasn't some isolated incident.

Don't really know enough about it. Does this receiver have a history of slacking off and being lazy and whatever? Previous staff let the inmates run the asylum? Either way, where there's smoke there's usually fire.
InspiredLebowski is offline   Reply With Quote
This NBA Basketball News Website Sponsored by: