Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Default Selfish to curse off homeless person asking for money?

I was wondering... what would you do if you saw a homeless person walk up to you in ripped clothes outside in freezing weather with a cup asking you for some coins? Would you have the guts to tell them to go stick it?

I was reading my facebook, and a girl from my HS that I used to know posted that she cursed off a "homeless bum" asking for money. She goes on further complaining saying that she has worked hard her whole life and now some homeless guy wants to take her money. Then I saw a bunch of people posting how she is right and 'liking' the status.

I was considering responding, but I don't know her well-enough to call her out. I come from a south-asian culture where this would be considered selfish way of thinking (India). To me, one of the goals of humanity is to help each-other overcome and survive first and foremost. I mean I work hard too, but I would never hesitate to give a couple dollar to somebody that will help provide them one meal. I'm lucky to have good college education with good family (yes, my dad also works his ass off into his late 50's but he would never hesitate to help some homeless person). Helping others is the right thing to do for me.

Am I hanging out with the wrong crowd or is this truly the thought-process of most Americans? I do not have a huge friend circle, and I simply live in a small city in NJ. Am I wrong in being alarmed by all the 'likes' and posts by others agreeing with her? Is it a western culture thing?

Default Re: Selfish to curse off homeless person asking for money?

Quote Originally Posted by bladefd
    I was wondering... what would you do if you saw a homeless person walk up to you in ripped clothes outside in freezing weather with a cup asking you for some coins? Would you have the guts to tell them to go stick it?

I was reading my facebook, and a girl from my HS that I used to know posted that she cursed off a "homeless bum" asking for money. She goes on further complaining saying that she has worked hard her whole life and now some homeless guy wants to take her money. Then I saw a bunch of people posting how she is right and 'liking' the status.

I was considering responding, but I don't know her well-enough to call her out. I come from a south-asian culture where this would be considered selfish way of thinking (India). To me, one of the goals of humanity is to help each-other overcome and survive first and foremost. I mean I work hard too, but I would never hesitate to give a couple dollar to somebody that will help provide them one meal. I'm lucky to have good college education with good family (yes, my dad also works his ass off into his late 50's but he would never hesitate to help some homeless person). Helping others is the right thing to do for me.

Am I hanging out with the wrong crowd or is this truly the thought-process of most Americans? I do not have a huge friend circle, and I simply live in a small city in NJ. Am I wrong in being alarmed by all the 'likes' and posts by others agreeing with her? Is it a western culture thing?
    Giving him spare money to buy his next meals isn't "taking all your money" so your friend should stfu. She worked hard to get her money its not like she's giving ALL of it away. She's just ignorant , if she was in his position she would realize that it's not all about hard work some people never even get the chance to get a job because of their upbringing.

Quote Originally Posted by waseem780
    Giving him spare money to buy his next meals isn't "taking all your money" so your friend should stfu. She worked hard to get her money its not like she's giving ALL of it away. She's just ignorant , if she was in his position she would realize that it's not all about hard work some people never even get the chance to get a job because of their upbringing.
    Absolutely, but what about all the people that agree with her? Is it simply the American-way to respond or western culture? Is it simply an isolated case of intentional/unintentional ignorance?

My own experiences are based on the single region I live in. I don't know how it's like in other parts of the nation.

NBA Legend

Absolutely, but what about all the people that agree with her? Is it simply the American-way to respond or western culture? Is it simply an isolated case of intentional/unintentional ignorance?

My own experiences are based on the single region I live in. I don't know how it's like in other parts of the nation.

There are two kinds of people in this world. Those who crunch numbers all day as a tax analyist, and those who dont.

NBA sixth man of the year knickballer's Avatar

Yea. No one is forcing her to give money to them and she can just ignore them.

But instead she goes on facebook venting about homeless people asking for money.. First world problems at it's finest.

PS, her version of "working hard" is probably very skewed. Probably went to a decent school, had daddy pay for everything and just probably had a part time job at the GAP working 10 hours LOL

NBA sixth man of the year knickballer's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Akrazotile
    There are two kinds of people in this world. Those who crunch numbers all day as a tax analyist, and those who dont.
    Please explain.

National High School Star

She is being silly , but it's up to you if you want to 'call her out'. It's certainly her money to do as she please but that 'bum' was a human being with someone/someplace who loves(d) him.

I don't see 'bums',but human beings. If she wished not to give him any money
    just politely say 'Sorry I don't have any change to spare today'. I always wonder if that were me or someone I loved.

I just gave a down & out (I assume) 57 year old man(he claimed) $2 dollars earlier this week & it seemed to mean a lot to this poor guy. He could have purchased a meal or drugs with it ,but the $2 meant nothing to me.

If it's a corner store with numerous beggars I understand her frustration ,but to be rude/mean spirited is just lacking humanity.

Banned

It isn't selfish but the way she handled it was bad. She sounds like a Jackass should could have kindly said, "Sorry, I don't have any money on me" but instead she chooses to tell him off. She must have been on her period that day. Give me her facebook man, I'll teach her kindness.

Quote Originally Posted by 32jazz
    She is being silly , but it's up to you if you want to 'call her out'. It's certainly her money to do as she please but that 'bum' was a human being with someone/someplace who loves(d) him.

I don't see 'bums',but human beings. If she wished not to give him any money
    just politely say 'Sorry I don't have any change to spare today'. I always wonder if that were me or someone I loved.

I just gave a down & out (I assume) 57 year old man(he claimed) $2 dollars earlier this week & it seemed to mean a lot to this poor guy. He could have purchased a meal or drugs with it ,but the $2 meant nothing to me.

If it's a corner store with numerous beggars I understand her frustration ,but to be rude/mean spirited is just lacking humanity.
    I won't respond to her because I'm above responding to ignorant things like that UNLESS if the person is somebody that I consider close friend or family. If it was somebody I consider close, I feel as if it would be my moral obligation to respond. I have quite a few people on my facebook that I talked with/worked with on projects in HS/college that I added, but they're not "friends" - she is one of them.

Honestly, I'm more concerned with all her friends agreeing with her than her specifically. I don't want this thread to become an attack on her - I just was wondering if this sort of thinking is something that is widespread in USA/western culture. More of a discussion than anything

Banned

I have been trying to contribute to homeless. It all started when I was walking home one day after work and spilled my milkshake on my hands which made my hands sticky. Lose my appetite and about tor throw away the Burger King bag when I see a homeless lady sitting and begging for money, of course I go over and giver her the bag. The lady got so happy it was great just seeing that. Got a cumstain from the milkshake on my pants though.

Anyway I understand her line of thoughts but she is being very insensitive. I used to give lose change or maybe a 20 (3-4 dollars) if I had it on me because loose change really bothered me. But at one point I thought what if these guys use the money they get for alcohol? or even worse which is the main reason I stopped giving any money under any circumstances is because people have started using workforce to get money and I do not like pointing fingers but gypsy's are the leading force behind this. They use their kids, wives, brothers, friends, slaves whatever but point is it is not for people in need the money is going to.

So me and my ex did a day where we went and bought chessburgers (had to go to different places) and in the end of two hours we gave out around around 100 chessburgers to homesless people.

Banned

She is right. I applaud her.

Homeless people dont deserve your money simply because they beg for it. There are plenty of shelters and free soup kitchens that they are actively choosing not to use. It isn't like homeless are left on their own in the cold in USA.

I would never hesitate to give a couple dollar to somebody that will help provide them one meal.
    Dont be naive dawg. 99.9% of the time if they asking for money they arent going to be using this on food. I know this cus when I was like 15 I used to believe the same as you, that it was the right thing to do to always help homeless. only if they asked for money Id offer to buy them mcdonalds or a sandwich, and only like 3 times did they accept my offer of free food. Most times they turned the offer down and just went begging for more money.

Most people who are homeless in America are either drug addicts, alcoholics or mentally ill. Giving them money wont necessarily benefit them. Remember, these people are choosing to actively avoid the free shelter and food provided all over American towns and cities.
    Last edited by Nick Young; 02-07-2014 at 11:02 PM.

NBA Legend

Quote Originally Posted by Nick Young
    She is right. I applaud her.

Homeless people dont deserve your money simply because they beg for it. There are plenty of shelters and free soup kitchens that they are actively choosing not to use. It isn't like homeless are left on their own in the cold in USA.

Dont be naive dawg. 99.9% of the time if they asking for money they arent going to be using this on food. I know this cus when I was like 15 I used to believe the same as you, only if they asked for money Id offer to buy them mcdonalds or a sandwich, and only like 3 times did they accept my offer of free food. Most times they turned the offer down and just went begging for more money.

Most people who are homeless in America are either drug addicts or mentally ill. Giving them money wont necessarily benefit them. Remember, these people are choosing to actively avoid the free shelter and food provided all over American towns and cities.

Yep. If all they wanted was food, the solution for them would be easy. Get a job. What they want is alcohol 24/7, and you cant work a job when u on dat liquid diet. So they hit the corner and rock a frowny face with their hand out. Carlin said it best, they should be rounded up and shipped to those square-shaped states in the middle of the country.

NBA Legend

Quote Originally Posted by Gabi
    I have been trying to contribute to homeless. It all started when I was walking home one day after work and spilled my milkshake on my hands which made my hands sticky. Lose my appetite and about tor throw away the Burger King bag when I see a homeless lady sitting and begging for money, of course I go over and giver her the bag. The lady got so happy it was great just seeing that. Got a cumstain from the milkshake on my pants though.

Why the **** were u drinking a [COLOR="Black"]cu[/COLOR]m milkshake???

NBA rookie of the year Styles p's Avatar

the ones who simply ask me for money i'll ignore. for a bum to get money from me he has to have a hustle playing music, washing my windows, rapping, tell a joke anything.

Quote Originally Posted by Styles p
    the ones who simply ask me for money i'll ignore. for a bum to get money from me he has to have a hustle playing music, washing my windows, rapping, tell a joke anything.
    ^lol'd

seriously though .. even if you're not gonna give the person anything, what's with the cursing them out ? .. seems like something wicked to get off on or something .. laugh at and belittle the homeless loser .. just nod your head and keep walking