Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    College superstar

Default Re: Sochi Olympics should be fun

Atlanta got bombed, by Americans.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Godzuki
    http://wiki.answers.com/Q/Who_pays_f...mpics?#slide=2

i actually looked it up a few weeks ago after hearing about all of the costs and corruption. unless wiki is wrong but thats all i could really find as a answer to who pays for it.
    No the winter olympics is not bringing in 50 billion dollars from sponsors or anywhere, The money paid by sponsor is used for prize money, referees, security and such. These money are straight out of the tax money.

But Sochi is a place with subtropical weather meaning it barley snows, so hosting it there was a huge mistake but Russia did it to show the world how beautiful Sochi is. They are trying to make it the new summer vacation spot. Sochi is close enough to spend a week or two at for most European countries. So they are not only building for the olympics but also for the future.

So it is a calculated investment if all goes as planned.

NBA sixth man of the year knickballer's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Gabi
    No the winter olympics is not bringing in 50 billion dollars from sponsors or anywhere, The money paid by sponsor is used for prize money, referees, security and such. These money are straight out of the tax money.

But Sochi is a place with subtropical weather meaning it barley snows, so hosting it there was a huge mistake but Russia did it to show the world how beautiful Sochi is. They are trying to make it the new summer vacation spot. Sochi is close enough to spend a week or two at for most European countries. So they are not only building for the olympics but also for the future.

So it is a calculated investment if all goes as planned.
    Yep. Like I said before Socchi is touted as the "Monaco" of Russia and it looks like a great place. They are also hosting the grand prix formula(or w/e it's called) and the city is going to be one of the host venues for the FIFA 2018 WC.

Don't know why you have Americans complaining about the cost. It's not coming from your pocket and it's probably being funded by some Russian Tycoon oligarchs.

As for the weather I'm sure it snows in the surrounding mountains. Don't think that's a problem at all.

Yeah, the toilets are weird but none of us have the luxury of staying in those lavish hotels..

Quote Originally Posted by knickballer
    Don't know why you have Americans complaining about the cost. It's not coming from your pocket and it's probably being funded by some Russian Tycoon oligarchs.
    The money is coming from the pockets of Russian taxpayers into the pockets of Russian oligarchs. One guy who is a high school friend of Putin won contracts equal to the entire cost of the last winter olympics. The photos of the toilets and the undrinkable tap water show that despite the tremendous costs, the money is not being spent on the facilities.

Lavish?

Local High School Star

Quote Originally Posted by KevinNYC

Perfect for Draz and his girl

NBA sixth man of the year knickballer's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by KevinNYC
    The money is coming from the pockets of Russian taxpayers into the pockets of Russian oligarchs. One guy who is a high school friend of Putin won contracts equal to the entire cost of the last winter olympics. The photos of the toilets and the undrinkable tap water show that despite the tremendous costs, the money is not being spent on the facilities.

Lavish?
    And our tax payer money is used to bomb children round' the world but I don't see you complaining.

Atleast the citizens of the city will get a long term benefit from the investment of this project. Tourism, new infrastructure, construction boom, etc. Plus, I don't think anyone knows how the costs are being provided for. I'm sure alot if it is coming from private investors.

Quote Originally Posted by LBJ 23
    Perfect for Draz and his girl

Quote Originally Posted by knickballer
    Atleast the citizens of the city will get a long term benefit from the investment of this project. Tourism, new infrastructure, construction boom, etc. Plus, I don't think anyone knows how the costs are being provided for. I'm sure alot if it is coming from private investors.
    I bet Boss Tweed said that about his courthouse.

It's not coming from private investors. The opposition figure said it's about 96% taxpayer money.

Quote Originally Posted by rufuspaul
    It cracks me up how people are so grossed out by this. It's probably a composting toilet, which are common in areas that have a high water table (so your shit doesn't seep out into say the Black Sea). "I have to throw my toilet paper in the trash?!? It's the end of life as we know it!!!).

You really tryna downplay the disgusting notion of having multiple people's shat soiled TP just postin up in the stall, all airborne and poopy and whatnot. The combo of multiple shitty shitty butt butt stenches converging near me makes me feel ill. Waste basket isn't for poopy, just trash.

______________________ Balla_Status's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by ROCSteady
    You really tryna downplay the disgusting notion of having multiple people's shat soiled TP just postin up in the stall, all airborne and poopy and whatnot. The combo of multiple shitty shitty butt butt stenches converging near me makes me feel ill. Waste basket isn't for poopy, just trash.
    You gotta understand that not everywhere is the US. I agree with rufuspaul...have an open mind and be a little adventurous and you'll probably be alright in SoChi. America and its people are pretty sheltered from the rest of the world so it wouldn't surprise me that some would be up in arms over little things like that. Go with the flow. Laugh about it. Pack it up in your toolbox of cool stories to tell in your life.

why I even like Rondo CeltsGarlic's Avatar

Damn, USA really going ham on Russia lately. I wonder whats the reason, cause a lot of news we hear lately are just not really worthy.

Im pretty freaking sure the race for most gold medals will be intense as fvck.

Banned

This report sound so fake it is almost laughable, they uploaded malicious software? how? and how did they know they had the option to record and such. Is there any proof provided showing how they know the phone and laptops were hacked? I am seeing a "Check out the full report:" but cannot press on it.

Then again the whole world is suveilled by NSA probably through all the smartphones so who cares.

Banned

russia is corrupt. so is usa. this isnt news. stfu people

Quote Originally Posted by CeltsGarlic
    Damn, USA really going ham on Russia lately. I wonder whats the reason, cause a lot of news we hear lately are just not really worthy.

Im pretty freaking sure the race for most gold medals will be intense as fvck.
    Giving safe haven to Edward Snowden and backing up Assad in Syria certainly hasn't helped US/Russian relations.