Page 1 of 6 1234 ... LastLast
    Banned

Default In 50 years the Beach Boys will be more remembered then the Beatles IMO

in 50 years I think the Beach Boys will be remembered as the greater band with greater songs.

Already, Sgt. Pepper sounds badly dated while Pet Sounds sounds like it could have come out yesterday.

People are starting to realize.

Beach Boys post-pet sounds albums were ignored but people are starting to realize how many amazing songs they have made. It turns out they were just 40 years ahead of their time. The beatles in contrast sound pretty dated. Their stereo recording isn't helping things, while Beach Boys only recorded in mono.

50 years from now it will be the beach boys everyone talks about as the gold standard 60s rock band.

Default Re: In 50 years the Beach Boys will be more remembered then the Beatles IMO

Stop saying stupid sh*t all the time

Banned

Default Re: In 50 years the Beach Boys will be more remembered then the Beatles IMO

Its not stupid shit. Beatles are going out of date, Beach Boys are becoming more and more relevant to modern composers and rock artists.

this is some next level shit
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QQ2OKoLpNBM

Beatles never made an album as good as pet sounds. Beach Boys at their best>Beatles at their best.

You shall see kid, if you live 50 more years, who is remembered as greater.

The Paterfamilias RedBlackAttack's Avatar

The Beach Boys have lost momentum over the last decade, not gained it. They probably aren't given the credit that they deserve.

The Beatles, meanwhile, are not going anywhere.

Local High School Star Vienceslav's Avatar

Sgt. Peppers sounds badly dated?
    Since when?

NBA Legend and Hall of Famer Myth's Avatar

I like Beach Boys music more, but they will never be viewed as better than the Beatles by the masses because of their cultural impact on the 60s being greater.

   

in 50 years humanity will be a crumbling collection of artifacts dotting the landscape of a dying planet.

but, yea... i'm a huge fan of both the 'boys and the lads. comparing them closely is a fool's errand... the two bands had almost nothing in common other than prime era.

anyway, cueing up some lesser-known faves:

all dressed up for school
    cabinessence
    cuckoo clock
    let's go trippin
    noble surfer
    wonderful

Quote Originally Posted by gigantes
    in 50 years humanity will be a crumbling collection of artifacts dotting the landscape of a dying planet.

but, yea... i'm a huge fan of both the 'boys and the lads. comparing them closely is a fool's errand... the two bands had almost nothing in common other than prime era.

anyway, cueing up some lesser-known faves:

all dressed up for school
    cabinessence
    cuckoo clock
    let's go trippin
    noble surfer
    wonderful
    I wouldn't say that. I believe Lennon and McCartney both cited the Beach Boys as influences with the way The Beatles used their vocal harmonies, especially on Pet Sounds.

Sloop John B is a good one.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Myth
    I like Beach Boys music more, but they will never be viewed as better than the Beatles by the masses because of their cultural impact on the 60s being greater.
    Think of it like Moby Dick. When Moby Dick came out contemporary critics said 'yeah its a pretty decent story, but uneven, there are loads of better books out there, like stuff by James Fenmore Cooper for example.

100 years later Moby Dick gets a reprint, suddenly all the scholars re-evaluate it and realize 'holy shit this is possibly the greatest American novel ever!' and James Fenmore Cooper is considered genre fiction. Moby Dick was just 100 years ahead of its time and no contemporaries recognized its true greatness.

That's how its going to be with the Beach Boys is what Im saying.

Their genius is going to be universally recognized in 50 years, and beatles will be considered more a product of their time.

Beach Boys were just too ahead of their time, like Van Gogh, Herman Melville and El Greco.

And yes Sgt Peppers is dated as shit.

Beach Boys is like next level of human evolution.

You will see, to those all who will live 50 more years.
    Last edited by Nick Young; 01-27-2014 at 06:28 AM.

   

Quote Originally Posted by RedBlackAttack
    I wouldn't say that. I believe Lennon and McCartney both cited the Beach Boys as influences with the way The Beatles used their vocal harmonies, especially on Pet Sounds.
    yep, of course. they had their little overseas competition, and brian famously melted down during the smile sessions trying to match the beatles.

i meant in the larger sense, though. from a listener's POV, primarily.

...just think about all the Beatles songs that are either played or covered that still appear in every single facet and form of communication.. commercials, movies, covers etc. To this day, they appear ad nauseum. I enjoy and resect the Beatles very much but it's overkill. The influence is that ingrained in the minds of creators and the audience as a whole. Everybody has heard multiple Beatles songs.

Then think about all the Beach Boys allusions, references and songs used in the media and realms of expression. To compare, it would be a very small fraction. I can't see that discrepancy tilting on its head to the other way in five decades, considering how much Beatles music/lyrics is still in rotation. It's been about five decades since they were a formed, active group and look at the staying power in the consciousness of even younger kids of today. Way more recognizable than the Beach Boys

The Beatles are immensely more popular and universal than The Beach Boys. They always will be imo, a shift and progression of society further into the 21st Century (not even that long of a window tbh) won't change that.
    Last edited by ROCSteady; 01-27-2014 at 06:35 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Nick Young
    Think of it like Moby Dick. When Moby Dick came out contemporary critics said 'yeah its a pretty decent story, but uneven, there are loads of better books out there, like stuff by James Fenmore Cooper for example.

100 years later Moby Dick gets a reprint, suddenly all the scholars re-evaluate it and realize 'holy shit this is possibly the greatest American novel ever!' and James Fenmore Cooper is considered genre fiction. Moby Dick was just 100 years ahead of its time and no contemporaries recognized its true greatness.

That's how its going to be with the Beach Boys is what Im saying.

Their genius is going to be universally recognized in 50 years, and beatles will be considered more a product of their time.

Beach Boys were just too ahead of their time, like Van Gogh, Herman Melville and El Greco.

Beach Boys is like next level of human evolution.

You will see, to those all who will live 50 more years.
    I disagree. The Beatles have more songs that are about love and stuff that apply more universally. Beach Boys have a lot too, but they also have so many songs about being at the beach, surfing, old cars, etc. that aren't as universally understood.

Quote Originally Posted by ROCSteady
    The Beatles are immensely more popular and universal than The Beach Boys. They always will be imo, a shift and progression of society further into the 21st Century (not even that long of a window tbh) won't change that.
    I posted the same thing at the same time in other words. Great minds think alike.

Quote Originally Posted by Myth
    I posted the same thing at the same time in other words. Great minds think alike.

A lot of Beatles music is just so fundamental and easy to hold onto that even the next decades will have that universality passed onto them thru pop culture and the fandom of their parents, grandparents, etc. Much of it is easier to form a bond with, sing and remember the lyrics word by word.

OP is hoping for some kind of renaissance in the musical mindset of the mass audience that will somehow see the Beach Boys as superior and more worthwhile just because that's his personal stance. Applying your own tastes to a projection of what will be considered more affective and ahead of its time is generally the mark of a narcissist.

Quote Originally Posted by Nick Young
    Bullsh!t.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P-Q9D4dcYng

That's still next level stuff. And, we're talking about 1967, there.

Timeless music.