Default Re: Gene Wilder dead

RIP. Great talent.

Decent playground baller

RIP

One of the greats.

   

i remember reading this once before but had totally forgotten about it until now... seems that adolf hitler of all people had a sizable effect on the original willy wonka film:

[indent]Willy Wonka and the Chocolate Factory is largely considered to be a movie classic; a cautionary tale about ill-mannered children, among other things. While the story occasionally dips into darker territory, such as the harsh punishments for the childrens' infractions, mostly the sweetness of Charlie's relationship with his grandfather and the happy ending keep the overall picture light.

Willy Wonka and the Chocolate Factory is largely considered to be a movie classic; a cautionary tale about ill-mannered children, among other things. While the story occasionally dips into darker territory, such as the harsh punishments for the childrens' infractions, mostly the sweetness of Charlie's relationship with his grandfather and the happy ending keep the overall picture light.

Yet amazingly, the principals in one of the darkest chapters in history

Saw a basketball once

RIP to the comedic legend.

NBA lottery pick Long Duck Dong's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by gigantes
    i remember reading this once before but had totally forgotten about it until now... seems that adolf hitler of all people had a sizable effect on the original willy wonka film:

Willy Wonka and the Chocolate Factory is largely considered to be a movie classic; a cautionary tale about ill-mannered children, among other things. While the story occasionally dips into darker territory, such as the harsh punishments for the childrens' infractions, mostly the sweetness of Charlie's relationship with his grandfather and the happy ending keep the overall picture light.

Yet amazingly, the principals in one of the darkest chapters in history— Hitler and the Nazi party — affected not only the casting of the film, but supplied one minor cast member.

Willy Wonka and the Chocolate Factory was shot in Munich, Germany in 1970, almost 25 years after the fall of the Nazis. The producers and director wanted to cast dwarves as the Oompa Loompas, but they soon learned that their plan would be problematic. There were few dwarves left in Germany due to Hitler's wartime policy of murdering people born with birth defects which, according to his demented mind, meant all manner of people, including dwarves. There were so few dwarves to be found locally that when it came time to cast the film, the casting director was forced to search all across Europe. Many of the little people eventually hired were not professional actors and therefore could not dance or sing. In fact, even in the final cut of the film, some of the Oompa Loompas appear not to be singing or not to know the words of the songs. This was because a number of them couldn't speak English.

More bizarre is the announcement in the film, via a television news report, that the last golden ticket has been located by a South American businessman (later to be revealed as a forgery). The photo that the news anchor holds up, supposedly of the businessman with the golden ticket, is of Hitler's real life personal secretary, Martin Boorman. Boorman was a top Nazi official, said to accompany Hitler everywhere he went.

http://www.neatorama.com/2014/09/23/...opular-Movies/

Also one of the main reasons the movie was changed to Willy Wonka and The Chocolate Factory from the book's Charlie and the Chocolate Factory was because blacks, well I think they preferred "coloreds" back then, found the term "Charlie", combined with "chocolate", offensive. I guess it was some type of slur towards blacks (and Asians during the Vietnam War). Ironically, they had no problems putting the oompa loompa slaves in blackface.

Serious playground baller Annyong!'s Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Long Duck Dong
    Also one of the main reasons the movie was changed to Willy Wonka and The Chocolate Factory from the book's Charlie and the Chocolate Factory was because blacks, well I think they preferred "coloreds" back then, found the term "Charlie", combined with "chocolate", offensive. I guess it was some type of slur towards blacks (and Asians during the Vietnam War). Ironically, they had no problems putting the oompa loompa slaves in blackface.
    I believe they were in Trumpface.

   

you sure about that?

"charlie" in terms of korea and vietnam referred to enemy asian combatants.

that's very little to do with the way we've use "colored" the last 50+ years in the USA.

NBA lottery pick Long Duck Dong's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by gigantes
    you sure about that?

"charlie" in terms of korea and vietnam referred to enemy asian combatants.

that's very little to do with the way we've use "colored" the last 50+ years in the USA.

Not really. I wasn't around back then, or heard the term used in a derogatory nature to non-Asians. But according to this link it says that was possibly one of the reasons.

"The second story is that filmmakers were worried that the name 'Charlie' was seen in certain areas as a derogatory racial term for African-Americans, and it was easier to rename the film."

http://moviepilot.com/p/willy-wonka-...-facts/2491839

Serious playground baller Annyong!'s Avatar

Not really. I wasn't around back then, or heard the term used in a derogatory nature to non-Asians. But according to this link it says that was possibly one of the reasons.

"The second story is that filmmakers were worried that the name 'Charlie' was seen in certain areas as a derogatory racial term for African-Americans, and it was easier to rename the film."

http://moviepilot.com/p/willy-wonka-...-facts/2491839
    Could it relate to the definition here: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_ethnic_slurs

Which states " (African American, 1960s-1970s) white people as a reified collective oppressor group, similar to The Man or The System"

It seems like it was an anti-white term used by black people. Maybe they didn't want backlash from the whites if this were the case.