Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    NBA Legend and Hall of Famer tpols's Avatar

Default Re: cold showers are healthier?

Quote Originally Posted by tmacattack33
    If taking a cold shower is healthy because it forces your body to warm itself up and constrict blood vessels and all that, wouldn't that also just mean that going outside without a jacket on a cold day would do the same?
    You don't breathe in the cold water in the shower. Cold air=/=cold water. Your opening up your lungs and airways to infection with outside foreign cold air.. Your not opening anything up to sickness with cold water because it doesn't enter your body.

The Magical T-Mac HardwoodLegend's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by tmacattack33
    Because they just played a professional sports game and need to help out their muscles.

That has nothing to do with your average person taking a daily shower.
    Yes it does.

Aches and pains come from daily life too. If your average person took an ice bath everyday, they would receive anti-inflammatory benefits. It wouldn't be the easiest thing to do since their muscles aren't warmed up to get prepared for one, but they could easily have one after a workout and still feel better.

I have done this for two days now and surprisingly, I've gotten used to it and now it has started to become relaxing.

the Sho Kosugi of ISH -p.tiddy-'s Avatar

I did this for the first time of Saturday...not going to lie, the first 2-3 minutes absolutely sucked...it's rough

after that though? it becomes not so bad...and when I got out it wasn't cold outside like it would be with a hot shower...it was warm to get out of the shower!

I felt really good too...not sure how much of that was related to the shower though or just me already feeling good

I will probably just do this once a week...not ready to do it before work yet

LOL some serious broscience going on in here

I'ma try this shit after hitting the weights tomorrow. sound like its going to feel like shit

I'd say there are more pros for warm showers than there are for cold showers.

Warm showers
    - Feel great
    - Clears the sinuses when you're sick
    - Warms you up on a cold day

Cold showers are just unpleasant. I don't know where this stuff about improving mental health is coming from. I've taken cold showers before and I never felt any positive effects.

Cold showers are for hipsters.

Quote Originally Posted by Heavincent
    I'd say there are more pros for warm showers than there are for cold showers.

Warm showers
    - Feel great
    - Clears the sinuses when you're sick
    - Warms you up on a cold day

Cold showers are just unpleasant. I don't know where this stuff about improving mental health is coming from. I've taken cold showers before and I never felt any positive effects.

Cold showers are for hipsters.
    Its not necessary to take the whole shower as a cold one. But the last 30-60 sec to enjoy the benefits. You can have a warm shower that finishes in a health promoting way.

The idea is to stay in the shower until you get used to the cold water.... and it starts to feel numb, if you don't stay in long enough you will not get the full benefits

The water in my gym's pool is apparently really cold and I'll always notice people dreading getting in... but it's no problem for me because I'm used to extreme cold.

It really does have incredible benefits ranging from skin to being able to thrive in cold environments better than others, it really is great if you go camping/fishing a lot because it trains you to be used to uncomfortable environments.

The best way to do it is to start out warm/hot and finish cold.

It feels so good now

Quote Originally Posted by tpols
    You don't breathe in the cold water in the shower. Cold air=/=cold water. Your opening up your lungs and airways to infection with outside foreign cold air.. Your not opening anything up to sickness with cold water because it doesn't enter your body.
    That makes no sense. Cold air doesn't make you sick. That's an old wives tale.

Only bacteria, viruses, etc, can make you sick. Cold air is just cold air.

National High School Star therammingman's Avatar

I dont shower. Maybe once every 2 weeks.

NBA Legend and Hall of Famer tpols's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by bmd
    That makes no sense. Cold air doesn't make you sick. That's an old wives tale.

Only bacteria, viruses, etc, can make you sick. Cold air is just cold air.
    Cold air dries out your sinuses, throat, lungs, etc. And constricts your blood vessels which leads to less mucus to trap infectious agents and white blood cells to fight whatever it is off. Viruses also last longer in the cold dry air. Cold air obviously doesn't make you sick on its own.. It creates and environment for it.

Don't know what you're getting at.. Cold Water showers are different than going outside in the cold with nothing on.

I always take scalding hot showers. After workouts, summer, winter, whenever.

Hot as [COLOR="Black"]fu[/COLOR]ck.