Page 14 of 15 FirstFirst ... 41112131415 LastLast
    I rule the local playground GMATCallahan's Avatar

Default Re: Kevin Johnson video and some other things....

Also, as for Stockton setting better screens than K.J., that may have been true, but many felt that Stockton (like Malone) was a dirty player who turned his elbows into dangerous weapons. I suppose that K.J. could have also set superior screens had he been willing to play illegally ... :)

Stockton came up with more steals, but K.J. was the superior man-to-man defender.
    Last edited by GMATCallahan; 07-30-2007 at 09:24 AM.

Suns Find a Forum to Show That They Have Come of Age; [Home Edition]
    RANDY HARVEY. Los Angeles Times (pre-1997 Fulltext). Los Angeles, Calif.: May 16, 1990. pg. 6

Cotton Fitzsimmons was not the NBA's coach of the year in 1990. He won that last year, when his team went to the Western Conference finals before losing to the Lakers in four straight games.

This year is better. His Phoenix Suns beat the team that is coached by the coach of the year in the Western Conference semifinals.

To do that, they beat the Lakers twice at the Forum, including Tuesday night's 106-103 victory to end the best-of-seven series in five games.

Before Game 1, the Suns had not beaten the Lakers at the Forum since 1984. It had been even longer since Fitzsimmons had won a game at the Forum.

"I believe it was right after Lincoln was assassinated," he said Tuesday night. Actually, it was 1974.

Fitzsimmons knew all along that this is the way the Suns would have to do it if they were to contend for the NBA championships, by winning at the Forum.

"Every time it seemed like the Phoenix Suns were going somewhere in the past, it was the Los Angeles Lakers who were in their way," he said. "I said when the season started that if anybody is going to the finals from the Western Conference besides Los Angeles, they're going to have to drive the team bus right through the Forum."

The bus driver was surprisingly low-key but characteristically gracious after one of the most satisfying victories of his 17-year NBA coaching career.

Like his team, he maintained his composure.

It must be a comfort to the young Suns when they look to the bench in a spot like they were in after one quarter Tuesday night and see that their coach looks as if he has just gotten up from a nap.

Now, we can start the game, he must have told them.

It was as apparent to him as to everyone else in this series that the Lakers had no knockout punch.

"They came out and gave us all they had," Fitzsimmons said of the Lakers, who had a 15-point lead entering the second quarter. "They kept coming and coming. But we kept our composure. My team never gave up. We kept clawing and scratching."

He later called the Suns his "little bitty guys."

He stood behind the comment he made before the series began that his team was a 100-1 shot to beat the Lakers.

But he didn't believe it.

"Last year, I was very proud of my team," he said. "We won 55 games after winning only 28 the year before. The Lakers beat us four straight (in the playoffs), but some people forget the fact that the games were tough. Whatever they needed at the end of those games, Magic took. Ya'll wrote that they swept right through us.

"I didn't buy it. I thought we were close. I didn't think we were this close."

Kevin Johnson is the player that Isiah Thomas is supposed to be, the real Pocket Magic. He even has the right last name.

There is no doubting him now. After he played less than his best in the first two games, the Suns' coaches told him that he was thinking too much, that he was taking only what the Lakers gave him. They told him to take what he wanted.

He was the second-best Johnson on the court Tuesday night, but not by much. While the Lakers' Magic scored 43 points and had seven assists, the Suns' Kevin had 37 points and eight assists.

It didn't matter who the Lakers put in front of him, Byron Scott, Larry Drew or Michael Cooper, none could prevent Kevin Johnson from driving into the lane and creating a basket.

He also doesn't back down. The Lakers' 7-1 center, Vlade Divac, threw the ball at Kevin Johnson early in the game. Johnson later paid Divac back with a forearm to the Adam's apple.

"We had a good ballclub last year, and we improved it in December when we added Kurt Rambis to the ballclub," Fitzsimmons said. "He taught us how to win."

That's something Rambis should know after spending so many years with the Lakers. Not even one year with the Charlotte Hornets could make him forget it.

"I thought I'd finish my career in Charlotte," said Rambis, who joined the Hornets last year as a free agent. "I figured I'd played my last playoff game.

"It's a thrill just to be back in the playoffs. To beat the Lakers is unbelievable."

About that time, Magic Johnson entered the Suns' dressing room, headed straight for Rambis and wrapped him in a bear hug.

That broke up Rambis for a moment. He lost his train of thought until he was asked if the Suns' victory represented a changing of the guard.

"We haven't done anything yet," he said. "As far as I'm concerned, you can't count the Lakers out of anything as long as Earvin Johnson is around."

Except for this year's playoffs.

Johnson Is Shining Bright for Suns; [Bulldog Edition]
    BILL BARNARD. Los Angeles Times (pre-1997 Fulltext). Los Angeles, Calif.: Mar 12, 1989. pg. 4

Kevin Johnson is making Phoenix forget that the Suns traded Larry Nance to Cleveland.

Never mind that Kevin Johnson isn't even the best point guard named Johnson in the NBA.

Never mind that Nance is a two-time All-Star, including this season for the Cavaliers, who have the best record in the league.

Never mind that Nance, who turned 30 last month, lends the hand of experience to a team that barely made the playoffs last season.

What should be remembered is that Kevin Johnson, who just turned 23 a week ago, already is among the best point guards in the NBA and may be the quickest.

Last year's trade that brought Johnson to the Suns and sent Nance to Cleveland is being hailed as the best of all possible deals-one that improved both teams.

"The Cavaliers have been outstanding; they have moved up to another level," Suns Coach Cotton Fitzsimmons said. "The Suns have done that, too. We're 16 games over .500 after missing the playoffs three straight seasons.

"This deal benefitted both teams."

"It was one of the greatest trades of all time," Johnson says. "They have the best record in the East and we have the second-best record in the West, and both teams are happy."

Johnson came to New York last week with the city's newspapers full of praise for the quickness of rookie Rod Strickland, who had 20 points and 14 assists against Chicago in his first start in relief of injured All-Star Mark Jackson.

Although Phoenix lost to the Knicks, Johnson had 31 points and 11 assists and ran circles around Strickland.

Here was Knicks coach Rick Pitino after Strickland finished with six assists and as many fouls as points against the Suns:

"Rod Strickland is quick, but Kevin Johnson is lightning."

Johnson is averaging 19.4 points and is third in the league in assists with 12.1 per game, trailing only John Stockton and Magic Johnson.

And those numbers have been going up. In February, when he was the NBA's Player of the Month, he averaged 24.5 points and 13 assists.

Unquestionably, Nance has been valuable to the Cavaliers, but Johnson filled a historical gap at point guard for the Suns.

He set the Suns' single-game record with 21 assists on Feb. 26 and broke Jay Humphries' single-season assist mark after just 53 games. While Johnson is averaging more than 12 assists, no previous Suns player has ever averaged as many as eight.

Johnson's outstanding performance in February was no accident.

Although he didn't make a scene about it, he admitted he was disappointed at not making the All-Star team, especially after Magic Johnson was injured.

"Anytime things don't go your way, you have to make it work for you," Johnson said.

In the three games just preceding the All-Star break, Johnson had 35 points and 13 assists, 19 points and 12 assists and 34 points and 18 assists.

But Johnson went into the season with far fewer expectations than Fitzsimmons.

"I expected a lot of Kevin," the coach said. "Going into the season, I wasn't concerned about him being too young. No one has more speed or quickness than he does. No one has a bigger heart."

"He told me that a lot, and I started to believe him," Johnson said. "I thought it would come more gradually for me. But he gave me confidence in myself."

Some NBA point guards with the talent to score are reined in by their coaches for the good of the team. Chuck Daly at Detroit believes the Pistons can't win with Isiah Thomas scoring more than he does, for example.

Not so Fitzsimmons.

"Coach wants his point guards to score a lot," Johnson said. "I try to keep the ball distributed well, but we play such a fast-tempo game that I can keep everyone involved and still score myself."

Phoenix is the only team in the NBA with four players who have scored 40 points in a game this season - Johnson, Armon Gilliam, Tom Chambers and Eddie Johnson. A fifth Suns player, Jeff Hornacek, has a season high of 32.

"He knows how to get people fired up," Suns assistant Paul Westphal said. "For a second-year player, it's unbelievable that he's come in and done so well. He's our offense."

At age 23, Kevin Johnson is also the Suns' future.

... My Comment:

And of course, K.J. shooting more was different than Thomas shooting more, because K.J. hit a significantly higher percentage of his shots, even while Isiah was in the run-and-gun earlier in the decade.
    Last edited by GMATCallahan; 07-30-2007 at 08:58 AM.

K.J. Just Doing What He's Told
    Vecsey, Peter. USA TODAY. McLean, Va.: Mar 5, 1992. pg. C4

Abstract (Summary)

Peter Vecsey says that Phoenix Suns coach Cotton Fitzsimmons is the reason Kevin Johnson has been playing more aggressively.

... My Comment:

In the seven games before Fitzsimmons told K.J. to play more aggressively (after the game of February 17, 1992), he'd averaged 16.7 points and 12.4 assists, shooting .467 from the field (12.9 FGA) and .846 from the free throw line (5.8 FTA). The Suns went 4-3 (.571) during that stretch.

In the eight games after Fitzsimmons told K.J. to play more aggressively (starting on February 18, 1992), he averaged 29.1 points and 12.6 assists, shooting .527 from the field (18.5 FGA) and .881 from the free throw line (10.5 FTA). The Suns went 6-2 (.750) during that stretch.

http://www.basketball-reference.com/...ke02&year=1992

Again, K.J.'s scoring ability was a weapon that his coaches sought to take advantage of, but he could utilize it while still creating all sorts of plays for his teammates (because of his efficiency and how quickly he could create shots). Here are some comments from his next head coach, Paul Westphal, and teammate Danny Ainge early in the '93-'94 season, from a feature titled "Quicksilver: When he's healthy, Kevin Johnson is nearly unstoppable," by Jim Brewer.

So far in 1993-94, his spot has seemed to be anytime he has trotted onto the court. Hitting jumpers, driving past defenders for dunks, penetrating and dishing off to open teammates - Johnson's aggressiveness on offense is a welcome sight to the Suns.

"We want him to score and be aggressive on offense," Westphal said. "With him hitting, it's hard to know which direction we are going to be coming from."

"Kevin's our leader," Ainge said. "When his defense is great and he puts up numbers, he makes it very difficult for other teams to stop us. He's been very aggressive offensively and that makes us better."

http://www.nba.com/suns/news/00382496.html

So, really, you can't blame K.J. for doing what his coaches and teammates wanted from him. At the same time, he was still able to create for those teammates.
    Last edited by GMATCallahan; 07-30-2007 at 09:14 AM.

Now Lakers Need to Three-Peat Game 4: Magic scores playoff-best 43 points, but his teammates falter as balanced Sun attack prevails, 114-101. Lakers must win Tuesday at the Forum.; [Home Edition]
    SAM McMANIS. Los Angeles Times (pre-1997 Fulltext). Los Angeles, Calif.: May 14, 1990. pg. 1

All of Magic Johnson's hook shots, all of his twisting drives and set shots, every single one of his 43 points could not prevent the Lakers from another loss to the Phoenix Suns Sunday in Game 4 of the Western Conference semifinals.

The Lakers, during their championship run, had always said they were more than merely a one-man team. But their 114-101 loss to the Suns, which puts them one loss from elimination, failed to justify that boast as never before.

Johnson was superb Sunday in his highest scoring playoff game ever, eclipsing his 42-point performance in Game 6 of the 1980 NBA finals against Philadelphia. He made 15 of 26 shots, all 12 free throws and took only a three-minute rest in the first half.

But Johnson was all the Lakers had against a balanced Sun attack and, as a result, the Lakers trail, three games to one, going into Game 5 Tuesday at the Forum. Only four teams have ever recovered from such a deficit, one being the 1970 Lakers, who won three in a row from the Suns.

Unless his teammates give Johnson some offensive help, the Lakers will be as helpless as they were in losing Game 3 by 14 points and Game 4 by 13.

"You never want to go out and try to score, like, 43 points, but in this situation, I had to," Johnson said. "My role is usually 20 points and 16 assists. But the other guys got to come on now. Hopefully, we'll get some other people playing better, so I won't have to do so much work."

James Worthy, who had been the most consistent Laker in the playoff fortnight, had his first bad game. He made five of 21 shots for 16 points, while main adversary Tom Chambers responded with 27 points.

But perhaps hurting the Lakers most is the disappearance of guard Byron Scott from the offense. Scott, perhaps preoccupied with trying to control Sun point guard Kevin Johnson, made two of eight shots for four points. He had eight points in Game 3, and has made only 46% of his shots for the series. Scott is not the only under-productive Laker. The center tandem of Mychal Thompson and Vlade Divac, which combined for five points in Game 3, combined for seven Sunday. So ineffective were the Laker big men that Coach Pat Riley started the second half without a center. Aside from Johnson, the Lakers made 20 of 60 field goal attempts.

"We got to have more people involved," Magic said. "More than just me and James. For three games, you are trying to ride everybody and get them involved and trying to get your own game going. Today, I just had to do something. I don't know which role I'm going to have to do Tuesday. Hopefully, it'll be different."

Whereas the Lakers' offense relied on increasingly predictable isolation plays to Johnson, the Suns' offense was like the Lakers' used to be. They ran often and well, moved the ball briskly in their half-court offense and got nearly every player involved. No player was more effective than Kevin Johnson, who had 17 of his 30 points in the second half and was able penetrate and pass to open teammates. Chambers, who made 10 of 21 shots, was the recipient of many of Johnson's 16 assists.

Guard Jeff Hornacek, who had a career playoff-high 29 points in Game 3, scored 16 of his 23 in the first quarter, when the Suns rolled to a 36-22 lead. Hornacek made his first six shots in the first quarter, then missed his final seven shots.

When Hornacek turned cold, the Suns turned to alternative sources. Center Mark West, lightly regarded by the Lakers before this series, dominated once again. West had 15 points and 15 rebounds, blocked six shots and altered the flight of many other Laker attempts. "We had to take the ball to the basket," Sun Coach Cotton Fitzsimmons said. "If you don't take it to the basket, then you're not going to win."

Unfortunately for Los Angeles, Johnson was the only Laker who could forge past West and find room to shoot. Worthy's inside game was stifled, and forward A.C. Green's 14 points and 18 rebounds could not make much of a difference.

"A lot of it has to do with our execution," Worthy said. "And the shots we are getting aren't falling. We have to look more for our second and third options, and they've got to hit (the shots)."

Scott is not scoring, and Johnson says he does not know why. Riley suggested that having to defend Kevin Johnson has been too much for Scott. Magic doesn't think so. "There's no excuse," Magic said. "He just has to start shooting the ball well. What else do you want me to say? We all saw the game. It's just not dropping for him. It may be because of that (guarding Kevin Johnson), but I hope it's not that. He's got to guard him again Tuesday."

Said Scott of his poor shooting: "I have no idea, I don't know why. I'm just exerting a lot of energy on defense on Kevin Johnson. I don't know if I'm taking myself out of the offense. I don't think all the burden of the loss should be on me. I don't think it's just one guy not scoring. We just have to have a better collective group of guys playing harder."

Lack of effort, even when the Suns took a 36-22 first-quarter lead, was not the Lakers' problem. The Suns made 13 of 17 shots and, although they cooled in the second quarter, their lead dipped below 10 only briefly before they opened a 60-48 lead in the second half. The Lakers' dependency on Magic Johnson to the exclusion of others was most apparent with six minutes to play in the second quarter. To that point, Johnson had scored 11 consecutive Laker points. He had made nine of 12 shots. The rest of the Lakers had made five of 20. When Riley went to a small lineup at the start of the second half, Thompson was replaced by Michael Cooper, essentially making Green the center.

The smaller lineup created a few mismatches for the Suns, but Fitzsimmons stayed with West as the last line of defense inside. With Johnson accounting for 14 of their 31 third-quarter points, the Lakers pulled to 84-79 entering the fourth quarter.

But the closest the Lakers could get was 94-90 with 4:39 left. From that point, the Suns outscored the Lakers, 20-11.

After the Lakers pulled to within four, Kevin Johnson converted a three-point play after making a driving basket. The Lakers' last real chance was thwarted when Scott missed an open jumper from the right wing, and Chambers scored off the miss for a 99-90 lead. Then, Magic Johnson and Worthy failed to connect on a pass and Majerle made a fast-break layup for an 11-point lead.

"Kevin and Tom really hit some big baskets for us when the Lakers cut it to four or five," Hornacek said. "I think these last two games really gave us a glimpse of what we're capable of doing."

All it has done for the Lakers is expose the inadequacies that a 63-victory regular-season must have masked.

Laker Notes

Laker rookie Vlade Divac had played well in the Houston series and in the first two games against Phoenix, but has failed to make much of an impact in the last two games. Divac had three points and four rebounds while playing 17 minutes in Game 3 and two points and three rebounds in seven minutes of Game 4. "He hasn't been playing well these last two games," Magic Johnson said. "We've been trying to get him involved." Mychal Thompson played only six minutes in the second half of Game 4. Said Coach Pat Riley of his strategy: "It's been sporadic play from our big guys. I couldn't wait. We were down. We had to go with our quick lineup. They got us back in the game with a chance to win."

The Lakers weren't conceding the series. "The pressure is on us to win, it's cut and dried," Johnson said. "Either we come out and do it, or they'll bury us. You never really think you might be here, but it's reality. You've got to deal with it." Added Michael Cooper: "I think beads of sweat are starting to fall down my forehead. . . . I know we can come back. I still have a lot of confidence in what this team can do."

In addition to reaching his playoff high for points, Johnson had his playoff career high for field goals (15) and field goals attempts (26). . . . The Lakers returned to Los Angeles about an hour after Sunday's game and will practice at the Forum this morning.

[Illustration]
    PHOTO: COLOR, James Worthy suffers on the bench in the midst of a five-for-21 shooting performance Sunday. / JAYNE KAMIN-ONCEA / Los Angeles Times; PHOTO: Magic Johnson scored a career playoff-best 43 points Sunday. Here he drives past Kevin Johnson of the Suns in the second half. / JAYNE KAMIN-ONCEA / Los Angeles Times; PHOTO: (Southland Edition) Laker James Worthy pursues ball along with Dan Majerle and Jeff Hornacek (far right) of Phoenix Suns. / Associated Press; PHOTO: Suns Set on Lakers: The Phoenix Suns took a 3-1 lead in their NBA playoff series with the Lakers, winning 114-101. Suns' Kurt Rambis, above, stole the ball from Lakers' Orlando Woolridge.

This Time, Suns Don't Slacken Pace Western Conference: After wasting 22-point lead in Game 2 loss at Portland, they take a 46-point lead and cruise at Phoenix, 123-89.; [Home Edition]
    SAM McMANIS. Los Angeles Times (pre-1997 Fulltext). Los Angeles, Calif.: May 26, 1990. pg. 1

It would not happen again, or so the Phoenix Suns hoped. Another 22-point lead against the Portland Trail Blazers, this time by the end of the first quarter here Friday night, would not be lost.

It turns out they didn't have to hold that lead.

No, it grew to 28 by halftime, then 30, then 40 before finally hitting a high mark of 46 points late in the third quarter of a 123-89 victory over the Trail Blazers in Game 3 of the Western Conference finals.

Two days ago, the concern was whether the Suns could recover after wasting a 22-point lead and losing Game 2 in Portland. Now, the question is whether the Trail Blazers will be the demoralized team.

Portland leads the series, two games to one, with Game 4 here Sunday. But the Suns may be in control.

"Everybody knew what happened the other night," Sun guard Jeff Hornacek said. "That was a good lesson for us never, never to let up. But that happens to teams in the playoffs. You lose leads."

This blowout, which must have reminded Trail Blazer forward Buck Williams of his days as a New Jersey Net, was not a record. But only because Sun Coach Cotton Fitzsimmons cleared the bench in the fourth quarter.

Phoenix, which made 61% of its shots, fell short of a franchise playoff record for margin of victory. The Suns beat the Golden State Warriors by 37 points last season.

The Suns' starters made a combined 35 of 42 shots (83.3%). Tom Chambers had 24 points, guards Hornacek and Kevin Johnson had 17 each and power forward Kurt Rambis got 14 on six-for-six shooting. Center Mark West scored eight of his nine points in the first quarter.

"We wanted to play every single quarter like it was 0-0," Kevin Johnson said.

Fitzsimmons was asked if he had ever seen his starters make 83% of their shots in a game before.

"I probably have been involved in a game like that, but it had to be in junior college where nobody ever plays defense," Fitzsimmons said.

Fitzsimmons wanted it known he was not comparing the Trail Blazers to a junior college team or knocking Portland's defensive effort.

But the Trail Blazers knocked themselves.

"We just played horribly," said Clyde Drexler, who made only five of 14 shots. "We know we're a better team than that."

But, on the road in their last two playoff series, the Trail Blazers have resembled the Sacramento Kings in February, folding at the first hint of a deficit. In their last four road playoff games, the Trail Blazers have lost by an average of 20.4 points.

"We didn't play well offensively-that was our biggest breakdown," said Trail Blazer guard Terry Porter, who made two of eight shots and had six points.

"Our offense made their offense look great because we missed so many shots we got their break going."

The Suns took a we-told-you-so attitude about not letting down after Game 2.

"You hear all kinds of things after our game up there," Hornacek said of Game 2.

"People said we were doubting ourselves. But, as players, you just go out and play the game. You don't worry about the last one."

Instead, the Suns made strategic adjustments. Fitzsimmons said the key was a multifaceted offense.

That was evident in the first four minutes, when the Suns took an 18-4 lead. West scored inside, Chambers made a jump shot, Kevin Johnson made free throws after driving, Rambis scored inside and Chambers scored twice off fast breaks.

"I thought we had them both games up there," said Chambers, who made 11 of 13 shots in only 26 minutes.

"But we allowed them to come back. Tonight, we did not allow that."

Just as Fitzsimmons scoffed at the notion his Suns would fold after the Game 2 loss, Portland Coach Rick Adelman vowed his team would not wilt, despite making 36.3% of their shots and playing only token defense.

"They dominated the game in every way," Adelman said. "But I don't care how many points you get beat by. The series is still 2-1, with us ahead."

Friday, that was the only statistic the Trail Blazers could embrace.

Western Conference Notes

Sun guard Eddie Johnson has renewed his vow of silence for the third consecutive playoff series. But Johnson has done so much explaining about why he is not talking with the media it might be easier for him to answer questions. "You guys are going to write whatever you're going to anyway, whether I talk or not," Johnson told reporters. "I have my job to do. I need to concentrate." . . . Before Friday night's game, Sun forward Tom Chambers had an 0-10 record in Western Conference finals. Chambers was a member of the 1986-87 Seattle SuperSonics that lost four consecutive games to the Lakers. He was with the Suns last season, when they lost four in a row to the Lakers. And the Suns lost the first two games of this series.

[Illustration]
    PHOTO: The Phoenix Suns' Mark West scores over the Portland Trail Blazers' Kevin Duckworth Friday night. Suns defeated Trail Blazers, 123-89. / Associated Press

Quote Originally Posted by IceMan2
    You got to at least respect what gmat says. he provides sources and makes everything he says credible. most of the time posters here just make things up as they go. also so the way he says everything really makes you listen as well. but yeah, at least he has sources backing up what he says, that makes what he says legit and credible
    Thanks.

He Overcomes Initial Futility; [Home Edition]
    MIKE DOWNEY. Los Angeles Times (pre-1997 Fulltext). Los Angeles, Calif.: May 13, 1990. pg. 1

Well, I don't think there's any way Phoenix can blow this series now, is there?

Who in his right mind wouldn't side with the Suns after what they did to the Lakers here Saturday?

I think these guys are a lock to win the NBA championship, and probably many more to come.

Having heard an earful from aggravated Arizonans-before, during and after the 117-103 Laker loss-I would have to agree with them that the 1989-90 Phoenix Suns are the most magnificent basketball team ever assembled, not only in the history of the NBA, but since the dawn of mankind.

They couldn't possibly choke now.

Wow, what a ball team this is! I could hardly believe how good Phoenix looked, although my seat in Veterans Memorial Coliseum was up pretty high, and I had trouble seeing the game through all those championship banners hanging from the ceiling.

What I did see was impressive. These Suns can play, and I will take issue with any California airhead who says they cannot.

For starters, there is Tom Chambers, who lit up the Lakers for 34 points. Or "T.C.," as the Suns' radio guy calls him.

(He also calls Kevin Johnson "K.J." and Eddie Johnson "E.J.," which makes me wonder if he also calls the President of the United States "G.B." and makes me happy that he doesn't regularly broadcast the games of Vlade Divac or Byron Scott.)

Chambers turned the Lakers every which way but loose. He made left-handed lay-ups and running left hooks. He swished right-handed three-pointers and rattled home twisting back-door dunks. He faked out J.W. and M.T. and E. (M.) J. and A.C.G. and every other Laker he encountered.

"I was stronger inside today than I had been in a long time," Chambers said.

Sure was. In Game 2, the Suns used underarm deodorants that were stronger and more effective than T.C. He got four baskets all night, and pulled down one more rebound than a dead man.

In Game 3, however, Chambers was one gun of a Sun who started out hot and got hotter. He also played the whole game with a smile on his face, even on the free-throw line. I guess if Michael Jordan can stick his tongue out, Tom Chambers can bare his teeth.

"We needed a win and I hadn't been playing well," Chambers said. "Kevin (Johnson) and I are All-Stars, and the last two games you couldn't have picked us out of a crowd in a million years."

Now, now, T.C. Don't be too tough on yourself. People here don't like it when anyone is critical of the Phoenix Suns, even a Phoenix Sun.

"Tom's a great player," Laker Coach Pat Riley said. "He was hitting his jumpers and he was making his drives."

As opposed to Jeff Hornacek, who was making his jumpers and hitting his drives.

Hornacek scored 29 points. In Games 1 and 2, he scored a total of 30. He was so ordinary in those two contests, that the announcer wouldn't even use his initials. I think the Lakers should try returning to a dependable old tactic against Hornacek in Game 4-like guarding him.

For a half, the Lakers were OK. "Very efficient," to use Riley's description.

They even pulled out the old Michael Cooper Catches Rebound, Falls Down and Shoots Horizontal trick, which never fails when you're trying to snap out of a one-for-19 shooting slump.

By the end, however, it was Phoenix that was pulling tricks out of its bag. Kevin Johnson even did the old Harlem Globetrotter free-throw bit, pretending to shoot the ball, then hanging onto it while those gullible Lakers lunged into the lane.

Did it seem to everybody back in California watching television that the Suns scored every trip down the floor? Seemed that way here, too. If I had known that the Suns never missed their shots when they played at home, I'd have picked them to win the NBA even sooner.

Between them, Mark West, Kurt Rambis, Dan Majerle, Eddie Johnson and Kenny Battle missed a total of four shots. Three of those guys don't even start. That's how great this unbelievably fabulous, undeniably wonderful, probably unbeatable Phoenix Sun team is.

Know how many points Phoenix's starters scored Saturday? 101.

The entire Laker squad scored 103. And that counted Cooper's goofy hoop.

"We epitomized what team basketball is all about," Kevin Johnson said.

That's Phoenix for you. It epitomizes team basketball. When Americans think of team basketball, then by God, they think of the Phoenix Suns.

Aw, shucks, Coach Cotton Fitzsimmons said. "We haven't accomplished anything yet. You have to brace for the Lakers every day, every hour and every minute. We haven't done anything yet."

No. Really? Go on. Be serious.

Quote Originally Posted by Glove_20
    1. Yeah and whats wrong with talking it to the hoop to get a high FG%. That still makes you a better scorer...I'd rather have a player that takes it to the hoop and puts the same amount of points on a higher FG% than low FG% with same points becaue of jump shot...

Bottom line, takiing it to the hoop, and getting a better FG%, is better and more effective than what Greer has done on the scoring end, and the numbers prove it.

2. I think you haven't mentioned it yet, or acknowledged it, but Kevin Johnson also is an excellent shooter. Not only did you have to stop him from penetrating and creating offense, you also had to watch out for his mid-range jumper.

Here are some quotes GMAT posted....

"The fact that he can shoot and drive presents a problem, You can't play him just one way. You can't say, `I'll play him back and make him shoot the jumper,' because that's what he likes to do. You've got to get up on him and play him as tough as possible."

-Byron Scott

Many players and coaches believe Kevin Johnson is the quickest player in the league, especially off the dribble. His uncanny ability to penetrate puts constant pressure on opposing defenses, and Johnson has also become an excellent outside shooter.

-Sports Article (NY Times) in 1989

Many players and coaches believe Kevin Johnson is the quickest player in the league, especially off the dribble. His uncanny ability to penetrate puts constant pressure on opposing defenses, and Johnson has also become an excellent outside shooter

-Same article (NY Times) in 1989

Bottom line, not only was he really quick, he could also shoot that mid-range jumper.

He was a better scorer than Hal Greer.
    More on K.J.'s jump-shooting ...

Johnson Too Much for Clippers; Pro basketball: Guard has 33 points and 15 assists as Phoenix avoids season sweep with 103-92 victory.; [Home Edition]
    Los Angeles Times (pre-1997 Fulltext). Los Angeles, Calif.: Mar 25, 1996. pg. 4

The Clippers find it easier to beat the Phoenix Suns when Kevin Johnson isn't around.

Johnson ran past, around and through the Clippers for 33 points and 15 assists, scoring 15 in a big first quarter that carried the Suns to a 103-92 victory over the Clippers on Sunday.

The victory allowed the Suns to avoid the indignity of being swept in the season series by the Clippers.

In two of the first three matchups, the oft-injured Johnson sat out. And in the Suns' season-opening, 112-106 loss to the Clippers, Johnson did all he could with a season-high 39 points.

"Some players are really quick, but can't shoot. Some guys can shoot real well, but can't get around you," Clipper guard Terry Dehere said. "But KJ has the total package and he showed it tonight."

Charles Barkley added 21 points and 14 rebounds as the Suns reached the .500 mark for the 10th time (34-34) this season. Dehere had 17 points and Rodney Rogers 16 for the Clippers, who shaved a 20-point Sun lead to 95-87 on Loy Vaught's jump shot with 2:32 to play.

But Johnson made a 17-foot jump shot 22 seconds later and followed with two free throws to put the game out of reach.

"We're really trying to get over this hump before the playoffs come around, so we're pressing a little bit. But I think that's good," said Johnson, who is averaging 21 points and 10.2 assists in March. "We're playing with a little more sense of urgency."

Michael Finley had 11 points and John Williams and A.C. Green had 10 each for the Suns, who took the lead for good with a 17-0 run late in the first quarter.

Vaught had 14 points and eight rebounds for the Clippers, who never recovered after missing 11 of their first 12 shots.

The Clippers trailed by only one point, 10-9, when Malik Sealy made a 14-footer with 5:08 to play in the first quarter, but Johnson scored five points and dished out three assists over the next 3:44, with two free throws by Barkley capping the run for a 29-12 lead.

Credit: From Associated Press

http://www.basketballreference.com/t...9960324&tm=PHO

Quote Originally Posted by Kblaze8855
    Thing with this is every player from 35 and down has some flaw that keeps them that low. Something someone good with words who knows not to come off too crazy or aggressive could point out. For examples...Dave Cowens, bob Mcadoo, Pistol Pete, and Nique. Those are guys people might argue for in this range.

Cowens was arguably not the best player on his own team even as MVP. Hondo had insane numbers and got the love at the time from Boston. And Jojo White got him for a finals MVP too. Added to that he only had 5 healthy all star seasons.

Mcadoo had a brief prime and was a role player(important one but still) by the time he won anything important.

Pistol Pete never won anything period.

Nique would be called just a scorer who never led a team as close to a title as KJ and never beat a team as good as the showtime lakers KJ beat.

All of that is true. The guys outside the elite are there for a reason. They were great....but didnt do anything to seperate themselves like the true all time elites did.

Because of it they dont have much one can use to dismiss a guy like KJ who was well rounded, with great numbers, and won a good bit(for a non all time elite).

But to put him that high you have to go against a lot of the usual standards people rank players by. Have to dismiss MVPs....titles...guys who had crazy high peaks but got hurt...innovators...all nba teams...reputation.

KJ did juuuuuuuust enough to earn mention in that long list that comes after 30 but before 100 but to put him closer to 30 than 100 takes a lot of work and a strong desire to put him as high as possible with no concern for the greatness or respect owed to a lot of legends.

Its easier to say "KJ is top 30-40" than to explain "If hes top 30-40 how come Tim Hardaway/Mark Price/Chris Mullin arent when they were considered on the same level in their primes?"

Its the biggest problem with ranking modern(even kinda modern) players so high. There are always guys we remember who were considered just as good....but dont get that credit now.

KJ is one of my favorite players of the 80s/90s but in all honesty....him at his peak vs Spre at his...Sprewell was probably considered the better player. I wouldnt say so. But in the 90s and late 80s KJ didnt seperate himself in the eye of the public from plenty of guys who nobody would dream of ranking this high.
    I don't know that people really thought that greatly of Sprewell, who was more infamous than famous. He received plenty of notoriety because he choked his coach and then landed in the New York market, but at best, he was a poor man's Mitch Richmond with a severe attitude problem. Sprewell was an inefficient player with a career .425 field goal percentage and a career assists-to-turnovers ratio of just 1.50:1.00.
    Last edited by GMATCallahan; 07-30-2007 at 11:21 AM.

erudite

Quote Originally Posted by Kblaze8855
    Top 40 all time is a bit much. You gotta throw him over guys like Dave cowens who led 68 win team, 2 title teams, and won MVPs. It can be argued but only because when you get to 35-40 a lot of the players were never super elite. Hes in a really really really wide range of guys on the same basic level(everyone from like 40-70 are still legends and hall of famers). his biggest supporters will put him closer to 40 and others closer to 70. but its still the same basic level of player.

Isnt just a numbering issue. Top 5 is more ahead of top 30 than top 30 is ahead of top 60.
    Are we talking on this list or on a real list...cuz we have KB8 on the list at like 20 already....Even Stockton I think is way too high on ISH's list...don't make me talk about Cousy..

Quote Originally Posted by Chalkmaze
    Thanks, you just made my point for me. KJ had much better overall talent to help him in the earlier years than Stockton had, eventually by around 95-96, the Jazz finally started to have a talented overall team, and John had a better supporting cast. That was why I wanted to see the rest of the stats which Glove was so sneaky to hide.
    Didn't I already tell you that the Suns got Barkley in 1993. And were around equal in wins when both KJ and Stockton were in their peaks.

So I used their Peak numbers, and they were equal in wins around then. They were not even close to equal later in the 90s

Titles are overrated Kblaze8855's Avatar

ISH list has Elvin Hayes in the mid 30s I think. I mean real life.

Good job GMAT.

I just watched Game 2 of the 1993 NBA Finals on NBA TV. Kevin Johnson had a total of 4 points and 2 assist. But that wasn't the only stinker, a game before that he put up an amazing 11 and 5. The great Frank Johnson took played for KJ a lot down the stretch.

B.J. Armstrong had more then him in game 1 (16) and game 2 (8).