Please clap. Real Men Wear Green's Avatar

Default The Big 10 is contemplating basketball suicide

Freshmen could get mandatory "Year of Readiness."

So how many HS All-Americans do they think are going to join their league when they can't even play for the one season that they were planning on attending? A school could maybe get away with that stance in the 80s. But now? If they put this rule in place no Big 10 school is ever going to win the Tournament again.

Default Re: The Big 10 is contemplating basketball suicide

Saw this, would probably be more than just them if they did it, though. I wonder if it would be a good idea. It might.

What would people do, then? Would it help the NBA product and the maturity of college kids? Dunno. I hate forcing people to do things. Maybe they know the age 20 thing is coming into the NBA soon.

-Smak

Please clap. Real Men Wear Green's Avatar

If everyone did it and not just the Big 10 it might be good for college athletes overall but the minority of players that will be pros aren't being helped and specific to basketball you have the weird situation where they can't play NCAA at 18 and can't play NBA until 19. Assuming neither organization is successfully sued and the NBA age limit remains I bet it makes a lot more kids go overseas than the current trickle of talent.

NJ Net Fan For Life. wang4three's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Real Men Wear Green
    If everyone did it and not just the Big 10 it might be good for college athletes overall but the minority of players that will be pros aren't being helped and specific to basketball you have the weird situation where they can't play NCAA at 18 and can't play NBA until 19. Assuming neither organization is successfully sued and the NBA age limit remains I bet it makes a lot more kids go overseas than the current trickle of talent.
    I hope they go to the NBDL so that league actually can mean something.

NBA Superstar

this would cost the kind of player that could bring them a championship millions of dollars.

college hoops is becoming a relic and instead of adjusting they are getting stuck in.

beyond stupid.

Sounds like a "we really DO care about the players" PR move that will go nowhere if I've ever seen one.

Quote Originally Posted by JtotheIzzo
    this would cost the kind of player that could bring them a championship millions of dollars.

college hoops is becoming a relic and instead of adjusting they are getting stuck in.

beyond stupid.
    I know they have ulterior motives. I know the one and done rule was kind of a behind the scenes deal between NCAA and NBA, but their reasoning is sound. Having dudes come into the NBA at age 20 actually is better for basketball altogether. It's just what about the in between time? Dudes are still busting in the NBA even after one year of college. I think some people just can't make the jump for whatever reason. I don't think there's any way to stop people from being a bust, but I do think that people could take a step back before they shot into the NBA.

The whole way shit happens now from their childhood or early-teens until NBA is pretty wack. These dudes are not reaching their bball potential at all. Mainly because they don't have to, and that's because of the money they are worth, for sure. There's no way to stop them being worth that, and you can't really make them pause either if they know at age 12 they are gonna be a top pick in the NBA draft, or feel that way.

But you can't deny that while people are becoming better athletes and more capable individual players that dudes are, on average, playing below expectations and playing what we all know is bad ball. Maybe you can deny that, but I can't...

-Smak