Thread: NBA

Default NBA

Under terms of the collective bargaining agreement, the NBA allows athletes who are at least one year removed from high school graduation to join its league as early entry draft candidates. But before he retired in February following a 30-year term as NBA commissioner, David Stern attempted to get the National Basketball Players Association to agree that no one can play in the NBA until he

Default Re: NBA

Stay is school.

It makes the NBA product better, protects teams from drafting on potential that never pans out, and make college a lot more enjoyable to watch.

Local High School Star west_tip's Avatar

I hope they don't change it, one and done is the perfect compromise.

Why should guys who are NBA ready out of high school have to play yet another season of college ball before they are eligible for the draft? Its not as if they will have finished their degree after two years.

Also, if GM's are prepared to draft freshman thats on them, they should not be protected from their own decision making. Moreover there is no way to take the risk out of drafting, some guys will pan out, others will bust, thats the case whether the guy played a year in college or all four years.

Please preserve one and done.

As much as I PERSONALLY would prefer players with some post high school basketball experience, these guys are adults who have millionaires willing to invest in them, there is no reason they should be restricted from going to the League from a human rights perspective.
    Why does the league get to say an adult can't play when has a team willing to invest in his future?
    Don't get me wrong, most of them benefit greatly from at least a year in college and the teams get to see how they respond to an increase in opposition skill level, but if I was one of these high school guys being told I can play pro almost anywhere in the world, except the NBA (until I play 1 year after high school), I wouldn't be happy.
    Honestly, I am surprised we haven't seen more Brandon Jennings situations where player would rather earn some good cash than try to prove themselves all over again in college.

So there is definitely 2 sides to the argument

National High School Star sick_brah07's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Clyde
    Stay is school.

It makes the NBA product better, protects teams from drafting on potential that never pans out, and make college a lot more enjoyable to watch.

everyone wins except the actual ball players that provide the "product"

Quote Originally Posted by Phenith
    As much as I PERSONALLY would prefer players with some post high school basketball experience, these guys are adults who have millionaires willing to invest in them, there is no reason they should be restricted from going to the League from a human rights perspective.
    Why does the league get to say an adult can't play when has a team willing to invest in his future?
    Don't get me wrong, most of them benefit greatly from at least a year in college and the teams get to see how they respond to an increase in opposition skill level, but if I was one of these high school guys being told I can play pro almost anywhere in the world, except the NBA (until I play 1 year after high school), I wouldn't be happy.
    Honestly, I am surprised we haven't seen more Brandon Jennings situations where player would rather earn some good cash than try to prove themselves all over again in college.
    lot of those top 10 guys out of high school don't mind the year in college as oppose to playing overseas . Overseas u have to worry bout getting paid on time ,lot of the vets on the team treat u like a kid or different because u from here in America unless u got vets from America,possibly worrying bout explosives getting thrown at u,kidnappings, war breaking out etc..In college ,most of the guys get paid in advance ,get all the pus[COLOR="Black"]s[/COLOR]y u can take,have ur teammates sweat u everyday ,be the BMOC ..etc..maybe not on par with a 2 yr/1.2 mil contract with a Italian league but u get rented for a year and the extra benefits .

Quote Originally Posted by sick_brah07
    So they have to out in a little work before they get paid.

So what.

Near-Life Experience TheGreatDeraj's Avatar

I think the best solution would be to go back to allowing people out of high school to play in the NBA, but also make the change and pay NCAA athletes to give them an incentive to stay in school

Quote Originally Posted by TheGreatDeraj
    I think the best solution would be to go back to allowing people out of high school to play in the NBA, but also make the change and pay NCAA athletes to give them an incentive to stay in school
    How would u INTELLECTUALLY do that , no bs..

Quote Originally Posted by sick_brah07
    Exactly, but what are they going to do? Lol they don't have leverage and the NBA is a privately owned business. Follow the rules or dont join the league. Simple.

Would you rather have a better league or more overpaid players? You're a consumer. Why are you vouching for better treatment of the labor force? You're like those kids who post about mistreatment of those kids in sweatshops, but continue to buy Nikes or whatever shoe.