Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    5-time NBA All-Star

Default Re: Marvin "Bad News" Barnes Insanity appreciation Thread

Quote Originally Posted by G.O.A.T
    .Look at what Marvin did for us a rookie. He averaged 24 points, 16 rebounds and shot 50%, and he did it with the worst shot selection I've ever seen from a pro player. He would get the ball turn and shoot it. He didn;t care where he was on the court.

"Marvin was wearing a big wide-brimmed hat and his floor length 100,000 mink coat. He had a bag of McDonalds hamburgers and fries with him. Then he proclaimed, "Have no fear, BB is here." He opened the coat and underneath he was wearing his Spirits uniform."

One day, Marvin came in the dressing room with a9-millimeter gun. He started pointing it at people and guys were hitting the floor. We figured he had finally freaked out, but he was just messing around. He didn't have a magazine in the gun. I don't know how many times I saw him stay out all night, get an hours sleep and then go out and score 35 points. His pregame meal was usually hamburgers, hot dogs and twinkees.

Once we got the itinerary for that trip and noticed that the flight was exactly one hour. Because of the change of time zones our return flight would leave Louisville at 8 am and arrive in St. Louis at 7:59.
    Marvin looked at it an announced "I ain't gettin' on no time machine. I ain't takin' no flight that takes me back in time. "

Marvin showed up for (The 1974) playoffs. He showed a great talent he was. But even then before one of the playoff games, Marvin ate a huge plate of Nachos in the dressing room while he was changing. Most guys would throw up doing that, but he went out and played like King Kong against us.

*As a side note Barnes went for 51 and 19 rebounds that game despite sitting the first 8 minutes.

"They all moved away from me. I had it under a towel. I guess I don't need to say that my career didn't last much longer after that."
    ROFL, great stuff GOAT. The guy is a walking Saturday Night live skit. And his lessons on the player and the played. Bwaahahahaha. Guy is hilarious.

5-time NBA All-Star

GOAT I recognize the name Barnes - did he have a real big fight or something?

5-time NBA All-Star

Quote Originally Posted by G.O.A.T
    Thanks for adding that, but that top picture is Darnell Hillman[/I]
    Not only that but Darny looks like he is the one that got played - he don't look like the Player.
    Last edited by Pointguard; 11-21-2010 at 03:39 PM.

5-time NBA All-Star

Quote Originally Posted by Niquesports
    Wow the ALl Missunderstood Team

Gil
    David Thompson
    Roy Tarpley
    Ron Artest
    Marvin
    What' misunderstood about them... Cocaine is a helluva of a drug. Well not Artest but if Air makes you high, LOL.

I remember Tarpley coming out zooted and just put some stiff in a head lock.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by L.Kizzle
    And everybody hates Gilbert Arenas ...
    I don't, but thanks for playing.

Banned

"I'm a basketball player, not a monk. I play the women, I play the Clothes, I play the cars, I play everything I can play. There's players and there's playees. The playees are the ones who get played by the players. I am a player."
    Is that where player comes from?

5-time NBA All-Star

Quote Originally Posted by magnax1
    Is that where player comes from?
    Yes, I forgot the movie, I think its "the Mack" where the line is dropped.

Quote Originally Posted by Psileas
    Great find on Barnes. The ABA was full of bizarre personalities, as it was easier for them to thrive in a less strictly structured and organized league.

You already mentioned Brisker, a Sprewell-like guy (at his most stable...), with a Bison Dele-like end.
    I propose you also look up Reggie Harding - a real life 7-foot criminal, the worst teammate anyone could ever hope to have (imagine your teammate beating you in a one-on-one game and then you telling him to get the F out of the way or else you'd take out your gun and shoot him-and meaning it. Well, this actually happened...).
    Just looked up Reggie Harding. What a true thug.

He raped Florence Ballard(of the Supremes) at knifepoint while they were in HS.

Quote Originally Posted by Pointguard
    ROFL, great stuff GOAT. The guy is a walking Saturday Night live skit. And his lessons on the player and the played. Bwaahahahaha. Guy is hilarious.
    Man this guy is awesome.

They should do a movie about him.

Default The Poetry of Marvin Barnes

A poem by Barnes prior to a game with the New York Nets in 1975...

"There once was a doctor named Erving,
    Whose slam dunks were especially unnerving,
    But when Marvin gets movin',
    And the crowd gets to groovin',
    For the doctor a hospital bed they'll be reserving."

NBA rookie of the year senelcoolidge's Avatar

First time I heard of "Bad News" was from my dad. From what I heard he was problematic, hence the name. He was one hell of a character. Funny stuff.

Serious playground baller RobertdeMeijer's Avatar

Marvin Barnes really is "bad news". I hate him. Let me explain.

Awhile back, I had an argument with my girlfriend which turned ugly. So we were in seperate rooms, with her crying and me feeling upset. I wanted to wind down, so I picked up The Book of Basketball by Bill Simmons, and got to this passage:

[COLOR="DarkOliveGreen"](writing about being a kid in the Boston Garden in the late 70s)
    "...but thanks to a fleeing base of paying customers, they upgraded our seat location to midcourt, right alonside the Nancy Parish Memorial Tunnel, where players, coaches, and referees entered and exited the arena. My seat happened to be two rows in front of Dad's seat - we couldn't get two together unless we moved away from the tunnel, which we didn't want to do - but I could hop under the railing, stand in the tunnel and chat with him during time-outs. Even better, a bizarre collection of injured players, old-timers and media personalities gathered in the tunnel and watched a quarter or two, leading to one of my favorite childhood memories: a washed up Marvin "Bad News" Barnes standing eighteen inches away from me, milking some bogus injury, wearing a full-length mink coat and leaning against my railing. Every few minutes, after a good Celtics play, he'd nod at me with none of those "What it is, Tirny White Dude!" smiles on his face. And since I wasn't over my racial identity issues yet, I spent the entire time marveling at his coat and hoping he'd legally adopt me. Didn't happen. Although we did have this exchange:

ME (finally mustering up the courage after three quarters): Mr. Barnes, when are you coming back?

BAD NEWS (gregarious): Wrggrghsdhshs nmdmakalkm nbbd jsjajajp idksaksjhj, lil' man![/COLOR]

I couldn't help but burst out laughing. My girlfriend heard this and got even more upset for me laughing while she was in the other room crying. Fugg you Marvin Barnes!

NBA Superstar

Bump for Bad News.

Quote Originally Posted by Rake2204
    Bump for Bad News.

bump this while you have your very own thread on it first page.

A few awesome Barnes quotes from his days here in Detroit.

"I didn't come here to sit on no wood"

"I'm the most well oiled machine in the motor city, gotta let me purr"

"I'm the news and losing games is gettin' old."

"People say Bad News is no good, but they don't know me, I'm love baby, plain and simple. Everyone knows when I'm in town because I let em' know."

Love this guy.