Page 1 of 5 1234 ... LastLast

Default I hate this cry baby: Durant sued over the name "Durantula!"

From TMZ

Durant was sued today in Federal Court by a guy named Mark Durante -- a guitarist who, according to the lawsuit, was a big deal in the 80s ... playing with Public Enemy, The Aliens, The Next Big Thing, and (our favorite) The Revolting Cocks.

TMZ obtained a copy of the lawsuit, in which Durante says he adopted the name "Durantula" for his "on-stage and performance persona" -- and has used it to market "music, recordings, apparel, t-shirts, guitars, and related merchandise."

Meanwhile, sports fans have adopted the handle for the Oklahoma City Thunder star and current NBA scoring champ.

Durante claims he sent KD's people a couple letters "demanding they stop using the nickname" -- but says Durant's reps claimed he wasn't using it.

In the suit though, Durante claims Nike has used the moniker to launch a shoe campaign -- and KD himself signed "Durantula" on basketballs that are for sale through his website.

The guitarist says he registered the "Durantula" trademark. He's suing for damages and an injunction stopping KD from using the name.

Full story here:
    http://www.tmz.com/

My take: Kevin Durant can't help what people call him. The idea that anyone knowingly took the nickname from this no-name guitarist is absolutely absurd. I hope the guy loses in court. I don't care about his trademark.

Default Re: I hate this cry baby: Durant sued over the name "Durantula!"

Lol I'm never gonna stop screaming 'DURANTULA' when the boy extends and slams it from the freethrow line. We gave him the nickname, he didn't coin it.

Very good NBA starter

this random dude is just looking for some easy coin via a settlement.

Can you blame him for suing? He sees KD has millions; he knows he personally doesn't have millions. What's a good way of getting at least a few grand in "damages"?

Sue somebody.

I won't say I'd do the same, but I'm not surprised somebody would.

Dude got sued over one of the shittiest nicknames ever?

He does have it trademarked. I can understand if Durant didn't sign balls as stuff with it.

I'm gonna side with the crazy guitarist on this one.

NBA Legend and Hall of Famer

durantula is a terrible nickname anyways.

Quote Originally Posted by Pushxx
    He does have it trademarked. I can understand if Durant didn't sign balls as stuff with it.

I'm gonna side with the crazy guitarist on this one.
    i agree.

nike should have seen this coming.

Great college starter 50inchvertical's Avatar

I live here and have never heard or seen of anything with Durant embracing the nickname. some announcers call him that, there are tons of shitty no name brand (i.e Jerzees shirt with iron ons) shirts that say it, but I've never seen KD sign anything with it, answer to it, or any official products. There might be though. I have seen some jackets with him and spider legs though. Either way, **** this dude

soundcloud.com/agua-1 andgar923's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by t-rex
    From TMZ

Durant was sued today in Federal Court by a guy named Mark Durante -- a guitarist who, according to the lawsuit, was a big deal in the 80s ... playing with Public Enemy, The Aliens, The Next Big Thing, and (our favorite) The Revolting Cocks.

TMZ obtained a copy of the lawsuit, in which Durante says he adopted the name "Durantula" for his "on-stage and performance persona" -- and has used it to market "music, recordings, apparel, t-shirts, guitars, and related merchandise."

Meanwhile, sports fans have adopted the handle for the Oklahoma City Thunder star and current NBA scoring champ.

Durante claims he sent KD's people a couple letters "demanding they stop using the nickname" -- but says Durant's reps claimed he wasn't using it.

In the suit though, Durante claims Nike has used the moniker to launch a shoe campaign -- and KD himself signed "Durantula" on basketballs that are for sale through his website.

The guitarist says he registered the "Durantula" trademark. He's suing for damages and an injunction stopping KD from using the name.

Full story here:
    http://www.tmz.com/

My take: Kevin Durant can't help what people call him. The idea that anyone knowingly took the nickname from this no-name guitarist is absolutely absurd. I hope the guy loses in court. I don't care about his trademark.
    But if somebody is gonna make money off his trademark why hate him for it?

I'd understand if they weren't making money, but people are gonna profit from it, he should get paid.

How would you like it if you came up with an idea and other people profited from it and didn't give you a cent?

Banned

So if the japanese beef marker get unbanned from exporting to the u.s and register Kobe as a trademark in the u.s can they then sue Kobe Bryant for using it?

'The Revolting Cocks'

NBA Legend and Hall of Famer Myth's Avatar

I could not be friends with a guy who sues somebody because he sees flashes of money rather than because of actually being entitled to the money. I'd be ashamed to sue somebody that hasn't actually caused me harm just because I want easy money.

Quote Originally Posted by Myth
    I could not be friends with a guy who sues somebody because he sees flashes of money rather than because of actually being entitled to the money. I'd be ashamed to sue somebody that hasn't actually caused me harm just because I want easy money.
    I don't think you understand what a trademark is....

Local High School Star Bernie Nips's Avatar

I'm with the guitarist on this one. I don't think Durant did anything knowingly, but the fact that he's signed balls with Durantula in order to make profit from them, that's a pretty clear violation of the trademark.