Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Lightbulb Re: How many seasons in NBA history are as good as Curry's current season?

Quote Originally Posted by Marchesk
    Tiny Archibald: 34 ppg / 11.4 apg / 48.8 FG%
    You've got to be trolling? Tiny Archibald having a better season than what Curry is doing right now is laughable.

The dude put up those stats in what was by far the weakest era for the NBA (70s), on a team than won 36 games (it's halfway through the season and GS have already topped that number).

Curry's on pace for the greatest season ever right now. The gravity he has is unprecedented.

NBA lottery pick

Default Re: How many seasons in NBA history are as good as Curry's current season?

Quote Originally Posted by jongib369
    He likely won't ever be the goat offensive player all around, including efficiency at high minutes/volume, offensive rebounding etc. But for the amount of minutes in which he plays/the output the offensive scheme allows him to do, he's up there. This is just part of the equation, but you do have to put it into consideration

GOAT at some aspects of the game this season. Lets see how the rest of his career pans out.
    Per game stats are pretty useless by themselves. More importantly do you have actual data on how many points were scored off assits? You'd want to include and one free throws and 3 pointers which I've only seen for players recently. I'm sure we have data but not going back to 73 for example.

Add in his minute are the result of him playing at such a high level they are playing bench guys at the ends of games. This is just a completely wrong way to judge a player.

Default Re: How many seasons in NBA history are as good as Curry's current season?

Please change the title and add the word OFFENSIVE/OFFENSIVELY

There are many seasons better than Curry 16 when you consider D

WayOfWade
    Fan in the Stands (unregistered)

Quote Originally Posted by Nuff Said
    I always thought Durant's mvp season was more amazing. Dude put the team on his back. Curry has a much better team including coach.
    True that, didn't see that season but his stats and highlights are insane, and that interview...
    As for the op, anyone could argue various seasons, however that does not detract from that fact that this is one of the greatest seasons of all-time so far. My personal pick?

Good college starter Relinquish's Avatar

None

Zip. Zilch. Zero.

Recency effect in full effect right now.

Quote Originally Posted by MJistheGOAT

As great as Curry has been, it's a bit unfair to rank him ahead of guys who were great 2-way players. Would Curry be producing at his current level offensively if he had to carry his team defensively as well? What if he was asked to shut down the opposing team's top perimeter player every night? Is he capable of being his team's best player on both ends of the floor?

I just have a hard time ranking him ahead of guys who had the responsibility of being dominant on both ends. Curry benefits greatly from the fact that he doesn't have to be a great defender. For some reason this gets overlooked.
    Last edited by GrapeApe; 01-27-2016 at 01:31 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by WayOfWade
    True that, didn't see that season but his stats and highlights are insane, and that interview...
    As for the op, anyone could argue various seasons, however that does not detract from that fact that this is one of the greatest seasons of all-time so far. My personal pick?

UPDATED

(Info will be updated as new information comes. Feel free to correct, or contribute with different players.)

PRF= Points+points from assists.

Any names with an * next to it is adjusted for assists that led to a 3 per game. Any stats from this season doesn't include the very last game the played(Missing stats from Currys game against Spurs)

In order from what I've gathered so far

Tiny 73- 56.8

Wilt 62- 55.2

Oscar 62- 53.6

Oscar 66- 53.5

Oscar 64- 53.4 | Oscar 65- 53.4

Oscar 67- 51.9

Wilt 63- 51.6

Oscar 61- 49.9

*LeBron 10- 49.6

Oscar 68- 48.6

Jordan in 89- 48.5

Magic 87- 48.3

*Curry PER36 16- 48.2

Magic 89- 48.1

*Paul 09- 47.67

*Paul 08-47.63

Baylor in 62- 47.5

*Wade 09- 47.18

Wilt 64- 46.9

*LeBron 08- 46.71

Jordan 87- 46.3

Stockton 90- 46.2 | West 70- 46.2

*Kobe 06- 45.83

*Curry 16- 45.6

*Nash 07-45.41

West 72- 45.2

*Tmac 06- 44.67

*Durant 14- 44.39

Oscar 69- 44.3

Kareem 72- 44

*Harden 15-43.81

Bird 87- 43.3

*Wall 16- 42.35

Wilt in 68- 41.5

*Curry 14- 41

*LeBron 16- 40.29

*Jordan 97- 39.24

*Shaq 00- 38.11

*Stockton 97-36.42

Oscar was a Monster...You can't even adjust for pace with these stats(or at least it's difficult/impossible without being unfair)...Assist rules were if you took any steps in that era it wouldn't count...And if Oscar wants between 20-23 attempts, he can get that today

But Curry is a monster himself, his per 36 has it getting damn close(he's close so it's fair bumping him up to per36 IMO). Bringing down guys to per 36 isn't fair because the warriors offense is built to allow Curry to have this kind of output per 36...While the others weren't...But regardless, Curry could get there if Kerr made it happen. Would his efficiency go down? Yes, but would it make it not some of the best basketball we've ever seen? No

is he the GOAT offensive player? No, that still goes to someone like Wilt who can play all those minutes, score at a high volume with a good percentage, and grab all those offensive rebounds. But, Curry does seem to be on his way being GOAT at certain aspects on the offensive end

Appreciate it fam
    Last edited by jongib369; 01-27-2016 at 01:41 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by GrapeApe
    As great as Curry has been, it's a bit unfair to rank him ahead of guys who were great 2-way players. Would Curry be producing at his current level offensively if he had to carry his team defensively as well? What if he was asked to shut down the opposing team's top perimeter player every night? Is he capable of being his team's best player on both ends of the floor?

I just have a hard time ranking him ahead of guys who had the responsibility of being dominant on both ends. Curry benefits greatly from the fact that he doesn't have to be a great defender. For some reason this gets overlooked.
    He doesn't have to be great, but he is. That is one thing that can't totally be measured, so like the rest of the all time greats, it is something that can be picked on, and told to improve on, even if they are extremely good at it.

And get this. Curry is a great defender. You think teams haven't tried to go at him? They have. He simply moves his feet, stays in front of his man, and is deceptively strong. He isn't guarding 1-3 or 1-4 or anything, but he usually holds his man below their averages. Has great hands too. Even with only a 6'3 wingspan he manages to get more than 2 steals a game.

Dude should be first team all defensive this season. He won't though simply due to rep and because he isn't viewed as some hard nose player when in fact he is.

Quote Originally Posted by plowking
    He doesn't have to be great, but he is. That is one thing that can't totally be measured, so like the rest of the all time greats, it is something that can be picked on, and told to improve on, even if they are extremely good at it.

And get this. Curry is a great defender. You think teams haven't tried to go at him? They have. He simply moves his feet, stays in front of his man, and is deceptively strong. He isn't guarding 1-3 or 1-4 or anything, but he usually holds his man below their averages. Has great hands too. Even with only a 6'3 wingspan he manages to get more than 2 steals a game.

Dude should be first team all defensive this season. He won't though simply due to rep and because he isn't viewed as some hard nose player when in fact he is.
    Do you think Curry is capable of producing at his current level while also carrying his team defensively? What if he was asked to lock down the opposing team's best perimeter player every night? I never said he was a bad defender, my point was about his lack of defensive RESPONSIBILITY. I just think it's unfair to the guys who had to do it all on both ends (and play big minutes).

NBA lottery pick

Quote Originally Posted by MJistheGOAT

such as? I don't think you fully realize how good curry is this year....

NBA lottery pick

Quote Originally Posted by GrapeApe
    Do you think Curry is capable of producing at his current level while also carrying his team defensively? What if he was asked to lock down the opposing team's best perimeter player every night? I never said he was a bad defender, my point was about his lack of defensive RESPONSIBILITY. I just think it's unfair to the guys who had to do it all on both ends (and play big minutes).
    not to answer for someone else, but curry is a decent defender.

One thing you'll notice about the great guards, they tend to get high steal numbers and IF they aren't doing it through a lot of gambling it seems to mean something.

Curry isn't a lock down defender. That isn't the role you'd ask of a guard like him generally. He has been so good offensively I don't even think advanced stats (which box score based ones agree he's the best of all time...all of them) that I don't think defense even need factor in for a guard.

NBA lottery pick

UPDATED

Oscar was a Monster...You can't even adjust for pace with these stats(or at least it's difficult/impossible without being unfair)...Assist rules were if you took any steps in that era it wouldn't count...And if Oscar wants between 20-23 attempts, he can get that today

But Curry is a monster himself, his per 36 has it getting damn close(he's close so it's fair bumping him up to per36 IMO). Bringing down guys to per 36 isn't fair because the warriors offense is built to allow Curry to have this kind of output per 36...While the others weren't...But regardless, Curry could get there if Kerr made it happen. Would his efficiency go down? Yes, but would it make it not some of the best basketball we've ever seen? No

is he the GOAT offensive player? No, that still goes to someone like Wilt who can play all those minutes, score at a high volume with a good percentage, and grab all those offensive rebounds. But, Curry does seem to be on his way being GOAT at certain aspects on the offensive end

Appreciate it fam
    if you're going with players from the damn 70's you should quote per 100 stats....not 36 minutes

Still again per game and counting stats isolated are stupid.

College superstar AintNoSunshine's Avatar

Too bad nothing he does on the offensive end is enough to make up for his piss poor defense.

Quote Originally Posted by dhsilv
    such as? I don't think you fully realize how good curry is this year....
    Do you know some guy who lead his team to the championship winning DPOY, MVP and FMVP?? (as a 6th seed)

Or other who won scoring title, DPOY and MVP while leading his team to the 3rd seed in a brutal conference.

Or some other guys who won championship, FMVP, MVP, scoring champions and were first team all-D??? Some of them were also rebound and/or assist leaders that season.

And almost all of them with a worse supporting cast than Curry 16 (not in talent, but as a team)

I am a big fan of Curry and GSW, I put Curry in the GOAT single seasons offensively, but let