Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Default Re: University Athletic Association of the Philippines

Arao Shines Brightly For Ateneo

by JP Abcede

The sun was not out Sunday afternoon for UAAP men

My take on the Tigers for this 1st game of the season:

1. Badua was great especially at the start. He knows when to look for his own shot and when to attack & pass to an open teammate. Unfortunately, he made some crucial errors in the 2nd half. Badua needs to step up and help Jerby Cruz I know he have huge shoes to filled due to Duncil's idea to enter the PBA Draft.

2. Jervy was impressive as usual except for his foul trouble which limited him. And good thing the sprain he got in the 1st quarter was a minor one. ( Jerby Norm 16 Points, 9 rebounds and a couple of Block Shoots.

3. Anthony and Dylan were both non-factors in the game. Taylor and Japs were the ones giving ample support to Jervy. Japs being one of the smaller player in the court at 5'7 blow away the defense of the UE RED Warriors.

4. Mirza looks promising while Basa did not get enough playing time to show his game.

5. They lost out on 2 factors; rebounding and outside shooting.

Anyway, congrats to UE.

Kaya pa yan UST Tigers!

Power Rankings

Week 1 (by Sidney Ventura)

Ford Arao (ADMU)

UST vs. FEU Saturday

This one is a tough call based on the performance of both teams last week. UST got crushed in the fourth while FEU managed a comeback but ran out of gas in OT. Hmmm.... I'll go for UST by the slimmest of margins.

Three Keys for UST to win:

1. Jervy Cruz all day. Jervy disappeared in the 2nd half against UE and as the Tiger's best player (and offensive weapon) he has to constantly put pressure on opposing defenses with his scoring and offensive rebounding. If Lingao-lingao and Asoro were able to dominate the paint against FEU Jervy should be able to do the same.

2. Make the freebies. Japs and Jervy are not really money from the line but they've got to make at least 70% of their foul shots. 14/25 FT shooting is a common sight in college basketball but UST has to understand that they don't have a wide array of offensive weapons unlike last year so they have to take advantage of every opportunity to score.

3. Anthony Espiritu. 0/5 in 22 minutes of action with 5 turnovers. Anthony Espiritu has failed to follow-up on his strong Final Four and Finals performance a year ago. He failed to show patience and also showed instances of hesitancy. He's got to be more aggressive against FEU because Jervy needs all the help he could get.

Three Keys for FEU to win:

1. Set the player rotation. Capacio used every Tamaraw at his disposal but he has to come up with a set rotation so that he has continuity. He could still be finding the right mix of players but I think it would be best if he has a set rotation of 9 or 10 players.

2. Shoot the damn ball: 9/22 Freethrows and 5/27 3-point field goals. That's just plain horrible. It's too horrible I've ran out of words.

3. Play defense early and often. The only time FEU really locked down on D was in the late stages of the 3rd and the entire 4th. If they fail to play consistent defense I'm sure UST will take full advantage of this.

Learning to shoot layups nOboDy kNoWs's Avatar

^ I believe UST will make the Final 4 but with the twice to beat DISADVANTAGE. they lost to a rookie-laden FEU squad by a big margin. hey, you are the defending champs! UST will be crushed by DLSU when they meet. DLSU will lead by as much as 20points if UST will continue to play that way.

my final 4: (in order)
    1. DLSU
    2. UE
    3. UST
    4. NU or ADMU(but, i think NU has the advantage over admu)

Saw a basketball once pileddriverr's Avatar

good day everyone..
    did anyboby know where's agustin of adamson..
    he just played last year and i think rookie lang sya last time?
    high leaper at very athletic

Quote Originally Posted by pileddriverr
    good day everyone..
    did anyboby know where's agustin of adamson..
    he just played last year and i think rookie lang sya last time?
    high leaper at very athletic

Mark Agustin is already 22 yrs.old the last time i saw him play is in the PBL Last Conference. Maybe he have some academic deficiencies that is why he is not included in the Adamson Falcon Roster.

FEU’s Youngsters Lead Charge Against UST

by JP Abcede

The rookies played like veterans as Far Eastern University took advantage of University of Santo Tomas’ atrocious shooting, 81-66, to hand the Tiger’ second UAAP men’s basketball defeat this season on July 14 at the Ninoy Aquino Stadium.

Advertisement: UBelt.com's Virtual Team Manager (VTM) is back! Click here to play and win prizes!

“Masaya dahil first win. Tinalo pa namin defending champion,” FEU coach Glenn Capacio beamed. “Nakakataba ng puso.”

The Tamaraws led by as much as 24 with a Sanny Abaring three-point shot early in the fourth quarter then held off a UST scare in the final minutes to secure the victory.

Paul Sanga and Marlon Adolfo shared topscoring honors for the Tams with 15 points. Ric Cawaling put out 11 markers and four assists.

Jervy Cruz led UST with 19 points and 22 rebounds, 17 offensive. Khasim Mirza figured in the late comeback and finished with 11.

Japs Cuan had ten markers on 4/13 shooting from the field and 1/6 at the freethrow line. He also had 14 boards, four assists, and two steals.

The backbreaker for Santo Tomas is that they only shot 28%, 4/28 from beyond the arc, and missed almost half of their freethrow attempts.

FEU is tied with idle National University, who they lost to at opening day, at 1-1.

One would have realized there was trouble brewing in the black, gold, and white squad when Far Eastern stormed to an 11-2 start. Adolfo and Cawaling teamed together to string a 12-0 breakaway to end the first period.

Alfred Gerilla gave the Tams’ their biggest lead of the first 20 minutes with a basket midway of the second quarter, 38-17 is the score.

It became apparent that things were not going in favor of the Espa
    Last edited by Lebron23; 07-17-2007 at 02:03 AM.

na miss na talaga ng ust si duncil this time... kasi days before the practice xa nawala... aw ano ba dahilan bat ala si duncil???

Saw a basketball once theodip12's Avatar

Smile Re: University Athletic Association of the Philippines

sorry guys but i think based on the current teams, its archers all the way.

Saw a basketball once theodip12's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by jesronne
    na miss na talaga ng ust si duncil this time... kasi days before the practice xa nawala... aw ano ba dahilan bat ala si duncil???

i think he's overage for the UAAP. he's already 23-24? correct me if im wrong. last that i read he's gonna apply for the PBA draft next month.

Jerby Cruz for Season 70 MVP...

Tigers Find Rhythm In Time to Beat Falcons

by JP Abcede
    The events of the University of Santo Tomas victory against Adamson University, 96-84, at Ninoy Aquino Stadium on July 19 for their UAAP men

my goodnesss.... wat an average.... 19 big points and 18 rebounds.... almost 20 20.... hehehehe.... but hes only 6'4 i guess he must be able to get more vitamins para tumaas cya... parang si ali peek....

Jervy Cruz

ust vs ue:

16 pts. 9 rbs. 3 blks. 77.8 fg %

ust vs feu:

19 pts. 22 rbs. (17 off.) 46.2 fg %

ust vs adu:

24 pts. 23 rbs. (12 off.) 2 asts. 1 stl. 1 blk. 41.7 fg %

these numbers are just plain sick.

he is the guy the uaap should watch out for.

This Season JC average 19 Points, 18 rebounds and 1.3 SPG.

Talking Re: University Athletic Association of the Philippines

University of Santo Thomas beat the Ateneo Blue Eagles

Standings: 4- 3

Final Score: UST 87 , Ateneo 74

Best Players:

Jervy Cruz 19 Points, 21 Rebounds

Khazim Mirza 25 Points, 6 rebounds

i was one of the witness of this jervy cruz... during his first game im so much impressed kasi parang xa na yung go to guy bigla... akala ko nga 6'6 to pero 6'4 lang pala... baka nga 6'3.... imagine guyz kung 6'7 to... nako pde nang pang national team agad... aw lan ba edad nya???