Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
    Playoffs? Playoffs!!! Mississippi's Avatar

Exclamation Stop supporting Michael Jordan!

I just read that his new shoes that are set to drop Jan 31 are expected to be $190-230. Jordan has made so much money in his career from basketball to endorsements yet he contiuously puts out these high priced shoes. Doesn't he realize it's a recession? He only cares about himself. He knows he's the greatest to ever play the game and his brand is one of the most popular so you would think he'd cater to the people supporting him and put out reasonable prices on these shoes. This is the reason why I respect guys like Shaq and Marbury.

/rant

Default Re: Stop supporting Michael Jordan!

Quote Originally Posted by Mississippi
    I just read that his new shoes that are set to drop Jan 31 are expected to be $190-230. Jordan has made so much money in his career from basketball to endorsements yet he contiuously puts out these high priced shoes. Doesn't he realize it's a recession? He only cares about himself. He knows he's the greatest to ever play the game and his brand is one of the most popular so you would think he'd cater to the people supporting him and put out reasonable prices on these shoes. This is the reason why I respect guys like Shaq and Marbury.

/rant

Endorsements Yes, Basketball no

have you seen MJ salary as a basketball player. Scrubs like Gilbert Arenas and Jermanie O'neal make more in their sleep.

MJ made 60 million his last 2 years as a bull.

his first 11 years he made like 30 million, scrubs like Areanas make that in a year without even playing.

The only reason MJ keeps pricing his shoes so high is that ppl particular ppl who live in the Inner City will by it no matter what the cost of it is. If ppl stop buying it MJ will price his down.

MJ is worth 300 million dollars ( not sure now that his wife has half his dough) but think about it 300 million dollars and he only made like 80 million of it playing bball.

Nowadays MJ would be forsure the first billion dollar athlete and he still has a chance if he can do something with the bobcats and take of the majority ownership of the team, get a stud like a Brandon Jennings or Ricky Rubio prefer Rubio to fill the seats up.

Me, I only wear Jordan's, ( since their no OJ's out yet that i can find ) anyway I dont ever by Jordans that are priced that high the most ive spent on a Jordan is like 100 dollars usually i get it for like 85-90dollars and they last me a long time since i don't get them dirty.

soundcloud.com/agua-1 andgar923's Avatar

Not that I agree or disagree, because you have a point but nobody is making people buy his shoes.

And also... I'd like to know if there's any difference in the J's as opposed to the Marburys. This is important so we know if its a true premium product and the prices set are justified.

If you can afford them, who cares?

I don't buy the new J's anyhow, I like to look for the retros myself.

Titles are overrated Kblaze8855's Avatar

I doubt Jordan personally sets the prices on his shoes. Im sure he could get it lowered if he flat out insisted(at least he could if his contract isnt lifetime and he threatened to walk). But why would he? Jordans are a luxary. It being a recession doesnt have anything to do with it. If you dont want to pay 200 dollars for shoes go to Kmart. go to Steve and Barrys and get some Starburys. If a kid is too dumb to understand that his parents dont have 200 dollars for some shoes hes not likely to benefit society anyway and im not terribly concerned about his little selfish hurt feelings.

Ive never even put on a pair of Jordans outside of a pair I got for christmas as a kid(I did not ask for them) and the ones the school gave us to play in when I was on the basketball team in HS. Hes my favorite player ever....doesnt mean im buying some expensive shoes because his name is on the box. Jordans wont be cheap because the economy is down and neither will diamonds.

Luckily we can all live without shoes with a 3 speed manual transmission or a diamond chain with a ruby encrusted tangerine hanging off it.

If Jordan bought the nations water supply system and charged 40 dollars a glass...then im upset. I need water. I dont need Jordans.
    Last edited by Kblaze8855; 01-11-2009 at 04:36 PM.

Roy Hibbert Super Star InspiredLebowski's Avatar

Seriously, why have Jordan's gotten so expensive? The last ones I got were the 14s and they were around $140 and I felt like a damned fool paying that.

Here's ESPN's Josh Elliott expressing his disgust on the subject

Jordan Brand has an 'exclusive' image to uphold, and pricing their shoes at 60 bucks ain't gonna do it.

Stupid thread, maestro.

Let me try to shed some light on you, although I highly doubt it will reach you.

1. Do they put speed signs by the road? Yes. Do all drivers drive under the speed limit.

No.

Are you the genius type that will go out and say - Hey Ford! Stop making cars that go over 55!!

I imagine so, but only on a forum. In real life, when you'll run late for work, you won't.

Basketball shoes.

Does Jordan force you with a gun to buy those? No.

On the other hand - if you open up your closet - do you have one brand name clothing item in it?

Yes?

Why? Do you think that "Brand X" has better t-shirts or jeans or whatever than some generic $5 bin @ Wal Mart?

2 words for you.

Supply. Demand.

You would do it too - if you could. So shut the hell up.

soundcloud.com/agua-1 andgar923's Avatar

Does Ferrari or Rolls Royce lower their prices?

I'd like to know if MJ's shoes are truly "premium" products.

If they are, he shouldn't have to change anything.

The new J's have looked disgusting anyways, and these don't look any different. I'll get the new Kobe's instead

No he doesn't force me to buy his shoes, but he does put out nice shoes but they're just expensive and the fact that I know he can do something about the shoes being so expensive pisses me off. He doesn't force me to buy them, and I don't buy them.

Quote Originally Posted by andgar923
    Does Ferrari or Rolls Royce lower their prices?

I'd like to know if MJ's shoes are truly "premium" products.

If they are, he shouldn't have to change anything.
    this is a basketball forum.

Quote Originally Posted by InspiredLebowski
    Seriously, why have Jordan's gotten so expensive? The last ones I got were the 14s and they were around $140 and I felt like a damned fool paying that.

Here's ESPN's Josh Elliott expressing his disgust on the subject

the girl was like your not gonna let it go are you

I rule the local playground

many things are just a perceived notion of being premium. your buying the name no the product. some of the best shoes i ever wore were jordans but i sure didnt spend even $100 on them.

7-time NBA All-Star OneMoreSucka's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Lakers13
    If you can afford them, who cares?

I don't buy the new J's anyhow, I like to look for the retros myself.
    This man knows where it's at. People can rant all they want, but as long as those shoes keep coming, they'll keep selling like hot cakes.