Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    National High School Star

Default Why are the old-time stans so delusional?

I understand loving old-school players...but i don't understand why certain posters think they know how these players would do in today's NBA.

I don't care how much footage you watch...it just doesn't translate. NBA scouts watch current prospects from the time they are 14 all through college and still very routinely get it completely wrong.

And these clowns watch youtube highlights of old players and think they can say, with certainty, how good they'd be in today's NBA.

At best, the only thing that may be able to be shown during all that nonsense they watch is how they should rank in THAT era. That's it.

Edit: Like that Dave Cowens nonsense that Laz was talking about. Just delusional.

Banned

Default Re: Why are the old-time stans so delusional?

Quote Originally Posted by played0ut
    People don't consider how all the eras have overlapped, and how the best players in each era have EASILY competed with the era after them.

i.e, people who claim Wilt would be a 'poor man's Javale McGee' did not consider how he played a high level against Kareem.

Kareem who played a high level with Magic.

Magic who played at a high level with MJ.

MJ who played at a high level with Kobe/Duncan/Garnett

Kobe/Duncan/Garnett who played/are playing a high level against Melo/Bron/Durant.

If it really was so different and if the previous eras were so exponentially weaker than the modern era, Wilt/KAreem/Magic/Jordan would've been completely decimated by the newer players, but they weren't.

I understand why people are saying new > old, but it's really just logical.
    . .

Quote Originally Posted by sundizz
    I understand loving old-school players...but i don't understand why certain posters think they know how these players would do in today's NBA.

I don't care how much footage you watch...it just doesn't translate. NBA scouts watch current prospects from the time they are 14 all through college and still very routinely get it completely wrong.

And these clowns watch youtube highlights of old players and think they can say, with certainty, how good they'd be in today's NBA.

At best, the only thing that may be able to be shown during all that nonsense they watch is how they should rank in THAT era. That's it.

Edit: Like that Dave Cowens nonsense that Laz was talking about. Just delusional.

So you're accusing old-school fans of using footage and youtube, but not the Justin Bieber generation? Makes sense

How many times a day do variations on this thread need to be posted?

shhhhhhh

Quote Originally Posted by played0ut
    People don't consider how all the eras have overlapped, and how the best players in each era have EASILY competed with the era after them.

i.e, people who claim Wilt would be a 'poor man's Javale McGee' did not consider how he played a high level against Kareem.

Kareem who played a high level with Magic.

Magic who played at a high level with MJ.

MJ who played at a high level with Kobe/Duncan/Garnett

Kobe/Duncan/Garnett who played/are playing a high level against Melo/Bron/Durant.

If it really was so different and if the previous eras were so exponentially weaker than the modern era, Wilt/KAreem/Magic/Jordan would've been completely decimated by the newer players, but they weren't.

I understand why people are saying new > old, but it's really just logical.
    Whole lot of truth in that post...

Always been a keep guys in their era for comparison purposes but that's more to do with the style of the game played... to think a guy like Wilt or Elgin Baylor couldn't be exposed to the same training, coaching and atmosphere as today's players and they'd just be role players is about as comically stupid as you can get

NBA Legend and Hall of Famer

There is no such thing as a time machine, so none of us know how a player would do in a different era. You're delusional if you think you know that a certain player would or would not do well in a different era.

College superstar

Quote Originally Posted by fpliii
    How many times a day do variations on this thread need to be posted?
    This

Quote Originally Posted by Rocketswin2013
    You're talking the obvious Wilt,Kareem, Robertson, West, etc....They'd be great...Stat projecting is ridiculous though....

I'm talking about saying Dave Cowens was better than a guy who arguably outperformed LeBron James for an entire season.
    I agree stat projecting is generally ridiculous.

However... Dave Cowens was an NBA MVP... an MVP. Let me repeat that, an M-V-P. He can DEFINITELY be argued to have "outperformed Lebron James for an entire season" at least for his own MVP season over any of the times Lebron or Dwight Howard or whoever he's being compared to hasn't earned an MVP themself.. which is the majority (or in Dwight's case, the entirety) of their careers. Cowens in '73 won an MVP in the same league as the "obvious" guys like Chamberlain, Jabbar, West, Robertson, Frazier, Reed, etc with prime John Havlicek as his teammate. He's one of the 50 greatest players in basketball history, and he's in it as a center.

NBA All-star

Quote Originally Posted by sundizz

Because only that many of them survived.

There are so many names that are under-appreciated by new comers
    that old schoolers don't bring up

because they KNOW they aren't nessecarily better than some of the modern stars.

So there, you have it.

If we are using your logic...

then a peak Shaq, who played over ten years ago...pure trash in today's NBA.

Peak MJ, who played 20 years ago...bench warmer in today's game.

Peak Hakeem, laughable. What the hell is this 6-10 guy going to do in today's NBA against much bigger centers, right?

Peak Kareem, who at age 39 slaughtered a 23 year old Hakeem in TEN STRAIGHT games, and averaged 32 ppg on a staggering .621 FG% in the process.

BTW, an old Gilmore averaged 24 ppg on...get this... a .677 FG% against that same Hakeem in ten straight games.

A peak Moses, who was crushing a prime KAJ...well, he was only 6-10, 245, what chance would he have in today's NBA?

A peak Wilt, who as an old man, on a surgically repaired knee, was outplaying a PEAK Kareem. Yep...what would a PEAK Wilt, who was over 7-1 (and would measure 7-3 in today's NBA), was a world-class athlete, and a high jump champion, with a 7-8 wingspan, at 290 lbs, with sprinter's speed (just ask Chief's coach Hank Stram), enormous strength (surely stronger than Shaq) and with FAR more skills than the clumsy Dwight ever had...

yep...couldn't make the NBA today.

I finally see the light.

Very good NBA starter Round Mound's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by LAZERUSS
    If we are using your logic...

then a peak Shaq, who played over ten years ago...pure trash in today's NBA.

Peak MJ, who played 20 years ago...bench warmer in today's game.

Peak Hakeem, laughable. What the hell is this 6-10 guy going to do in today's NBA against much bigger centers, right?

Peak Kareem, who at age 39 slaughtered a 23 year old Hakeem in TEN STRAIGHT games, and averaged 32 ppg on a staggering .621 FG% in the process.

BTW, an old Gilmore averaged 24 ppg on...get this... a .677 FG% against that same Hakeem in ten straight games.

A peak Moses, who was crushing a prime KAJ...well, he was only 6-10, 245, what chance would he have in today's NBA?

A peak Wilt, who as an old man, on a surgically repaired knee, was outplaying a PEAK Kareem. Yep...what would a PEAK Wilt, who was over 7-1 (and would measure 7-3 in today's NBA), was a world-class athlete, and a high jump champion, with a 7-8 wingspan, at 290 lbs, with sprinter's speed (just ask Chief's coach Hank Stram), enormous strength (surely stronger than Shaq) and with FAR more skills than the clumsy Dwight ever had...

yep...couldn't make the NBA today.

I finally see the light.
    "Barkley Would Be Too Small To Play Today"

Quote Originally Posted by Round Mound
    "Barkley Would Be Too Small To Play Today"
    Yeah...he was only 6-5 (and yet was outrebounding the likes of Hakeem and at Hakeem's rebounding peak BTW, and then when they were paired up on the same team, he was outrebounding Hakeem by nearly FIVE per game.)

Same with Rodman. What chance would that 6-8 230 lber have against the giants of today's NBA like Kevin Love and Dwight? Sure he was slaughtering Shaq, Hakeem, Ewing, and Robinson, but those guys were stiffs that couldn't play in today's WNBA.

National High School Star

Delusional. Typed a Laz length response and deleted it. Comparing Shaq and Dwight makes sense. Comparing Shaq and Wilt doesn't make sense. The game is different. The era is different. Shaq and Dwight both are playing in the same era, and we've had the same access to watch their game live.

Comparing a player no one has seen live, nor full games of, in a similar setting and making bold it's fact claims is just nonsense.

Even if Wilt time transported and played in the NCAA this upcoming year, you still couldn't accurately predict how well he'd do in the NBA. That's what is annoying. You are scouting players from decades ago...with barely any footage...and making claims about how good they would be today.

Just cuz Wilt did good against Kareem and Kareem did good against Hakeem....that doesn't mean anything. You are talking about Wilt. Clearly he'd either be the best, or at worse an all star. However, literally almost everyone else mentioned, Russell included, is a straight up question mark.

Kobe would average 40 ppg in this weak era

Quote Originally Posted by Rocketswin2013
    Dave Cowens. Dave Cowens better than prime Dwight Howard. He wasn't on either end. Easily the most delusional stans in the forum.
    Cowens >>>>>>>>>>>>> Dwight