Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: 2009 Mock Draft

Good High School Starter

Default Re: 2009 Mock Draft

CaptainOwl, I'm not sure what to think of Mullens. I think he has huge upside and with the lack of great centers in this draft, he could get picked really high. Of course we have a whole season to see what he can do. I think it is the same way with Patterson. I'm not a fan, and actually have him a lot lower than a lot of people, but even if a lot of guys enter early, there aren't that many big men. As for Johnson, I think he could be a huge riser. I have said that before. But right now I think he is on the 1st round bubble. If he can improve his shooting and handle, I think he will move way up. But right now he was a pretty good player on an average team.

Posterize, Thabeet's offense has made huge strides. He could barely make a layup two years ago, now he has some good post moves and will actually be a part of the offense this season. I agree OKC needs to pass on him, and I think Tabeet is going anywhere from 3 to 10 right now, but I think Memphis really needs someone inside to build around. It may be a little soon to take Thabeet, but with Conley, Mayo, and Gay they really don't need Harden, DeRozan, or Daye.

Disco, I think Aldrich is a lot better than his playing time last season. That was a veterain team inside that was going for a championship. I like the way Aldrich rebounds and I think he is much more talented on offense than they let him show. He is probably a legit 6-10 and just as athletic as Hansbrough which is why I think he is a better prospect. I also think at the same age he will show he has a little more talent. I love Hansbrough and think he will make a decent role player in the NBA, but Aldrich has so much more upside. Maybe I am overrating him because he is an unknown, but I just really liked what I saw in limited minutes. I'm not positive, but I think Aldrich is the same age as his class while Hansbrough has always been older than his class, which of course hurts his draft stock.

Quote Originally Posted by monthh
    CaptainOwl, I'm not sure what to think of Mullens. I think he has huge upside and with the lack of great centers in this draft, he could get picked really high. Of course we have a whole season to see what he can do. I think it is the same way with Patterson. I'm not a fan, and actually have him a lot lower than a lot of people, but even if a lot of guys enter early, there aren't that many big men. As for Johnson, I think he could be a huge riser. I have said that before. But right now I think he is on the 1st round bubble. If he can improve his shooting and handle, I think he will move way up. But right now he was a pretty good player on an average team.

Posterize, Thabeet's offense has made huge strides. He could barely make a layup two years ago, now he has some good post moves and will actually be a part of the offense this season. I agree OKC needs to pass on him, and I think Tabeet is going anywhere from 3 to 10 right now, but I think Memphis really needs someone inside to build around. It may be a little soon to take Thabeet, but with Conley, Mayo, and Gay they really don't need Harden, DeRozan, or Daye.

Disco, I think Aldrich is a lot better than his playing time last season. That was a veterain team inside that was going for a championship. I like the way Aldrich rebounds and I think he is much more talented on offense than they let him show. He is probably a legit 6-10 and just as athletic as Hansbrough which is why I think he is a better prospect. I also think at the same age he will show he has a little more talent. I love Hansbrough and think he will make a decent role player in the NBA, but Aldrich has so much more upside. Maybe I am overrating him because he is an unknown, but I just really liked what I saw in limited minutes. I'm not positive, but I think Aldrich is the same age as his class while Hansbrough has always been older than his class, which of course hurts his draft stock.
    "Made tremendous strides" is still different from being a good post player. He's gone from poor to average. I still don't know how his skinny frame will hold up in the post in the nba.
    Last edited by Posterize246; 08-26-2008 at 08:01 PM.

alternick = loser :D veilside23's Avatar

I agree they dont need harden derozan or daye . thats why i think if marc gasol pans out and the iranian guy they wont need thabeet as well .. so memphis might use the pick to trade it

Good High School Starter Buffalobraves's Avatar

I don't much about the players in the upcoming college season can someone give me a top 10 PF and a top 10 C ranking?

top 3 centers
    mullens
    thabeet
    ogilvy

top 3 pf
    griffin
    clark/patterson
    hansbrough

this year's draft is kinda weak when it comes to bigs.. lots of pg and sg though

Good High School Starter

Posterize, I was commenting on your comment that his offense has been slow to progress. It did at first, but he made huge strides last year. He wasn't good, and I never said he was, but at times he was almost dominate inside. As for his size, he isn't that much worse off than Mullens or Ogilvy.

Centers:
    1. Hasheem Thabeet-UConn
    2. BJ Mullens-Ohio State
    3. Cole Aldrich-Kansas (Will play PF as well)
    4. AJ Oglivy-Vanderbilt
    5. Jerome Jordan-Tulsa
    6. Conner Atchley-Texas (PF/C type of guy)
    7. Toney Woods-Wake Forset (Size holds him back some)
    8. Kenny George-UNC Ashville (No joke)
    9. Greg Monroe-Georgetown (More of a PF, but putting him here to fill up spots)
    10. Russell Hicks-Florida International

Power Forwards:

1. Blake Griffin-Oklahoma
    2. Tyler Hansbrough-UNC
    3. Pattrick Patterson-Kentucky
    4. Jordan Hill-Arizona
    5. Jeff Pendergraph-Arizona State
    6. Josh Heytvelt-Gonzaga
    7. Jon Brockman-Washington (If only he was 2 inches taller)
    8. Gani Lawal-George Tech
    9. Taj Gibson-USC
    10. Deon Thompson-UNC

After the top 5 I find this list really hard. There are even a few more guys would would have liked to get in there.

This years realy strength is SF. Last year had very few but this year you could have as many as 10 taken in the 1st round. I doubt that happens, but this is a very strong SF class.

Veilside, I agree with what you are saying, but Thabeet is a rare kind of player. Gasol might be a decent backup, and I don't know anything about the Iranian guy, but Thabeet could be a Marcus Camby type. Thabeet will be a guy that really changes the game like Camby or even Mutombo. I think taking Gasol over Thabeet would be like taking Orberto over Camby. If they did choose to look somewhere else I think Daye makes the most sense. Daye wouldn't be the perfect PF, but I think he could be like Rashard Lewis or something. They could go with a smallish team with Gay and Daye in the frontcourt.
    Last edited by monthh; 08-27-2008 at 02:38 AM.

Posterize, I was commenting on your comment that his offense has been slow to progress. It did at first, but he made huge strides last year. He wasn't good, and I never said he was, but at times he was almost dominate inside. As for his size, he isn't that much worse off than Mullens or Ogilvy.

Centers:
    1. Hasheem Thabeet-UConn
    2. BJ Mullens-Ohio State
    4. AJ Oglivy-Vanderbilt
    5. Jerome Jordan-Tulsa

Power Forwards:

2. Tyler Hansbrough-UNC
    4. Jordan Hill-Arizona
    6. Josh Heytvelt-Gonzaga
    9. Taj Gibson-USC
    10. Deon Thompson-UNC

After the top 5 I find this list really hard. There are even a few more guys would would have liked to get in there.

This years realy strength is SF. Last year had very few but this year you could have as many as 10 taken in the 1st round. I doubt that happens, but this is a very strong SF class.
    I didn't know Blake Griffin went to Oklahoma, if he has a good season then they woul probably take him. Even with 10 great SF's in the draft we really dont need one, we have Jeff Green. How are the SG's in this draft [I'm really impressed at how much you know about this years class monthh]

Learning to shoot layups

the 2 big time pure shooting guards in next year's draft are likely derozan and harden... stephen curry a notch below those guys, though if he has a growth spurt he's suddenly rip hamilton with better range

there are also a couple really talented combo guys out there like jrue holiday, tyreke evans, possibly lester hudson... nick calathes is talented, but I don't think he's athletic enough

and of course there are 1 or 2 guys who will come out of no where

Serious playground baller disco's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Blackeagle
    the 2 big time pure shooting guards in next year's draft are likely derozan and harden... stephen curry a notch below those guys, though if he has a growth spurt he's suddenly rip hamilton with better range

there are also a couple really talented combo guys out there like jrue holiday, tyreke evans, possibly lester hudson... nick calathes is talented, but I don't think he's athletic enough

and of course there are 1 or 2 guys who will come out of no where
    Budinger too, although he's more of a SF in college.

These aren't considered as lottery/1st rd talent at the moment, but I think some of them could be in April: Anderson (Oklahoma St),McNeal (Marquette), Williams (Louisville), Shipp (UCLA), Moore (Purdue), Vaden (UAB), Prince (Tennessee), Harris (Michigan). And also Holiday (UCLA) and Warren (Oklahoma) even though there are more of combo guards and will be PG in NBA. Vasquez (Maryland), but he's more of a PG too.

But in general, apart from DeRozan and Harden that you mentioned, not very deep class in terms of pure SG's. But everything can - and will - change in a few months.

Veilside, I agree with what you are saying, but Thabeet is a rare kind of player. Gasol might be a decent backup, and I don't know anything about the Iranian guy, but Thabeet could be a Marcus Camby type. Thabeet will be a guy that really changes the game like Camby or even Mutombo. I think taking Gasol over Thabeet would be like taking Orberto over Camby. If they did choose to look somewhere else I think Daye makes the most sense. Daye wouldn't be the perfect PF, but I think he could be like Rashard Lewis or something. They could go with a smallish team with Gay and Daye in the frontcourt.

yeah the list is really hard thats why i only named 3 or 4 hahahaha

Well problem is memphis will be stacked with bigs but they definitely need a good pf.. it might be darell arthur but we can never tell. Memphis right now has like 3 centers young centers. i agree thabeet is really somekinda special however what if marc gasol turns out to be better than Pau? well it all boils down to what will happen this season but if none of the 3 centers in memphis steps it up .. i agree thabeet will be drafted by memphis if ever they have the chance to do so.

Not airballing my layups anymore Grizzled Mayo's Avatar

No one here thinks that mullens is a lock for a top three pick? Man you cats is crazy

I rule the local playground

Centers:
    1. Hasheem Thabeet-UConn
    2. BJ Mullens-Ohio State
    4. AJ Oglivy-Vanderbilt
    5. Jerome Jordan-Tulsa

Power Forwards:

2. Tyler Hansbrough-UNC
    4. Jordan Hill-Arizona
    6. Josh Heytvelt-Gonzaga
    9. Taj Gibson-USC
    10. Deon Thompson-UNC

Daye wouldn't be the perfect PF, but I think he could be like Rashard Lewis or something. They could go with a smallish team with Gay and Daye in the frontcourt.
    daye's future in the nba IS as a power foreward- i cant see how he isnt placed in (at worst) the #2 pf spot- sure he needs size & strength added but pf is the spot he has the highest potenetial at- daye will breakout this season if his health is ok (hearing some bad things around the poker table about daye's knee?)

what a weak weak group of pf's & c's- the arizona guy is not an nba player, and i am still very uncomfortable w your views on patterson & mullins- is thabeet really the most for sure thing right now? their better be some foreign talent at c & pf????

pf-
    -daye gonzaga 6-11- highest ceiling of anybody in this draft
    -griffin oklahoma 6-9- imo has a better chance of playing both sf/pf than daye
    -monroe georgetown 6-10- all the physical tools needed for the nba pf
    -handsborogh nc 6-8- a more skilled najera? taken outside of lottery will probobly turn into a decent pick
    -gordon 6-9 ucla- day 1 will be a much better player than either arizona schools f's

i would like to see your sf list- monthh you do a good job, only picking on your rankings because i think you can take it

Quote Originally Posted by CaptainOwlClub
    daye will breakout this season if his health is ok (hearing some bad things around the poker table about daye's knee?)
    It was first reported he had an ACL tear in July and that he'd be out 6-10 months. Turned out he had a bone bruise and a very minor tear and would be out 3-4 weeks. That's why you always get a 2nd opinion

If Daye reaches his "potential" (I really hate that word), he could be really good. If not, we're looking at another Jared Jeffries.

I rule the local playground

Quote Originally Posted by Buffalobraves
    I think Segre Ibaka's devolopment will be big in deciding who to draft.
    If Ibaka devolops well they can take Griffin.

If Ibaka dosen't devolp well they will take Thabeet, in need of a big.
    that is funny- if ibaka (the pf) develops you take another pf?- if your pf doesnt develop you go c?? or are you thinking ibaka is a c?

monthh- i hope denver doesnt pass on curry for collison- curry will just be a much better pro- i love collison and think he will reach his 4th final 4, but curry will be an impact player imo, weather his role is 6th man or a starting pg

how do you all compare calathes from florida to ricky rubio athletically?

Quote Originally Posted by CaptainOwlClub
    that is funny- if ibaka (the pf) develops you take another pf?- if your pf doesnt develop you go c?? or are you thinking ibaka is a c?

monthh- i hope denver doesnt pass on curry for collison- curry will just be a much better pro- i love collison and think he will reach his 4th final 4, but curry will be an impact player imo, weather his role is 6th man or a starting pg

how do you all compare calathes from florida to ricky rubio athletically?
    Ibaka can play either posisiton. He is 6' 10' but he jumps so hes bigger then most big men. He needs to bulk up though.