Page 1 of 6 1234 ... LastLast

Default Kyrie Irving to make a decision on Australia or US soon

NEW YORK: Cleveland Cavaliers point guard Kyrie Irving would make a decision shortly about whether he would opt to play for Australia at the London Olympics.

Irving, who was born in Australia while his father was playing in Melbourne and holds dual US and Australian citizenship, has justified his choice as number one overall pick in the 2011 NBA Draft with a sparkling rookie season.

Australia selectors have made no secret of their interest in the 19-year-old, who is averaging 18.3 points and 5.1 assists per game after leaving Duke University for the NBA, and Irving has expressed interest in playing in the London Games.

"I'm not sure, it's still up in the air. I haven't made a decision yet," he told reporters before Cleveland's game against the Knicks at Madison Square Garden. "You'll probably hear about it in the next week or so what decision I make."

Irving would face a technical hurdle to joining the Australians since he represented the US at the under-18 level last year and would have to appeal to the International Basketball Federation ( FIBA) to switch his eligibility.

Coupled with that is the fact the US Olympic team head coach is Duke University's Mike Krzyzewski.

Irving said Krzyzewski has encouraged him to play for the US Select team, which serves as a feeder programme for the Olympic squad and could pave the way for him to make the US team for the 2016 Games in Rio.

"We've talked about it a little bit. We haven't gone into details," he said. "It's up to me."

Despite an abundance of point guards, including Derrick Rose, Chris Paul, Eric Gordon, Russell Westbrook and Deron Williams, available for a US, Irving admitted that a future chance to play Olympic basketball for the country was a factor.

"Oh yeah, definitely. That weighs on it," he added. "(But) what's best for me and my family and my career, that's what it's about."
    http://timesofindia.indiatimes.com/s...w/12093027.cms

Good High School Starter

Default Re: Kyrie Irving to make a decision on Australia or US soon

He should go with Australia. It's not like the U.S. needs him or anything.

Banned

Eh to me he isn't Australian, but for his situation it makes sense to come to Australia and increase his marketability here. All our stores only seem to have Bogut, lebron, kobe, rose, howard jerseys around here, i imagine if he cplays for the Aussies they'd have Irving ones soon. Also gives him a chance to show his game against the u.s.a team and do something unique if he can do well.
    Personally though i'd rather he stayed with the u.s.a team to avoid our media all claiming how he's the next great Australian sportsman

It would be smart for Krzyzewski to offer him a position right now, so that the future top 3 PG in NBA is available for USA for 2016 and 2020 and everything in between.

australia if he cares more about his own glory, usa if he cares more about winning

NBA lottery pick

He won't make it on the US team idiots. He will play for AUS if he wants to be apart of the Olympics at all.

He won't make the London team, let's be real.

Rose, CP3, DWill, Westbrook.

Banned

Noone said he would make it for the u.s for london, they are telling him to play for the u.s olympic feeder team.

So he already played for the under 18 team, and would have to get FIBA to let him switch to play for Australia. No way he does that, he'll stay and wait his turn to hopefully be on the team the next go 'round.

Come on Kyrie, come play for Australia, you know you want to

Irving needs to play for the Australian National Team. He might bang some hot Aussie chicks during the off season.

Kyrie will try out for Team Australia, because he is not an idiot.

I hope he goes USA. The learning potential that is available with team USA is far greater than with Australia. If he wants to win he will go USA, if he wants to play this year it is Australia.

Quote Originally Posted by lilgodfather1
    I hope he goes USA. The learning potential that is available with team USA is far greater than with Australia. If he wants to win he will go USA, if he wants to play this year it is Australia.

Team USA has a bunch of talented PG and Combo Guards.

Quote Originally Posted by Lebron23
    Team USA has a bunch of talented PG and Combo Guards.
    True, but Paul/Williams/Rondo will all be at the tail of their primes in 2016, and will be able to pass along ther knowledge to Irving like Kidd did for Paul and Williams. Irving really at this point only has to beat out one of Westbrook or Rose to make the team, and considering Rose's constant injuries it could be Rose. Irving certainly is one of the best rookie PG's ever, no reason to believe he has reached his peak at 19.