Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345
    Good High School Starter

Default Re: Up close with Wilt (talks about sex life, feud with Kareem, Shaq etc)

Quote Originally Posted by julizaver
    The links are useless because when you open them you must pay to read it or download it - the info I gather is only in Google News Search results - for example type "Chambln FG" or "Laker box score" from "Los Angeles Times" or whatever source you want and you receved a result like that: ... Min FG FGA FT FT R A P T ... chamblin 45 10 14 7 17 25 3 2 27 west 38 7 14 ... or something like that - actually is not very easy since the data is from microfilms and sometimes damaged.

However when you have read so many newspapers from that time - I can recall a title after the 7 th game with Chicago in 1973 - "Wilt blocked Chikago from playoffs"
    In that series Wilt averaged 12.0 ppg 24,6 rpg 3.0 apg 7.0 blocks per game, while shooting 57.41 % FG.

In fact I spent a lot of my free time searching and researching - doing that for more than two years. All of the data I have is collected piece by piece.
    For example in the Harvey Pollack's Stats Book (can be found free on Internet) I find some little mistakes - they are not changing the general picture in general, and that's why I did not make a noise about it.
    Great post! please forgive my limited knowledge, could you give me a linkage of the "Harvey Pollack's Stats Book" please? Thanks!

Local High School Star

Default Re: Up close with Wilt (talks about sex life, feud with Kareem, Shaq etc)

Quote Originally Posted by alexandreben
    Great post! please forgive my limited knowledge, could you give me a linkage of the "Harvey Pollack's Stats Book" please? Thanks!
    http://www.nba.com/media/sixers/Poll...0607_Stats.pdf

In the first pages you can find data about Wilt's 1961-62 season and on the last paged you can find a stats about all games between Russell and Chamberlain.

3-time NBA All-Star

jlauber, I seperated the data for two parts as Wilt abondon scoring after 1970/71 season:

First 11 meetings (1 from 1969, 5 from reg.season 70/71 and 5 in 71 WCF)

Wilt 22.8 ppg 17.6 rpg 2.8 apg 49,74 FG %
    Kareem 26.1 ppg 15.6 rpg 2.5 apg 45,49 FG %

Second 17 meetings (5 in 71/72 season, 6 in 72 WCF and 6 from 72/73 season)

Wilt 11.8 ppg 18.6 rpg 3.7 apg 56,72 FG %
    Kareem 34.1 ppg 16.9 rpg 4.8 apg 46,81 FG %

Great work!

Overall, in their 28 career games, it looks like Wilt, playing with a reconstructed knee and arthritis, as well as being 11 years older, more than held his own against Kareem. While being outscored, particularly during the 71-72 regular season, Wilt did a maginificent job holding Kareem down in terms of FG% (about 46%...and once again, take away the 71-72 regular season...and it drops down considerably)...while outrebounding him, and outshooting him by a large margin. And while we probably don't have all the blocked shot info, I am reasonably certain that Wilt had more blocks, as well. In fact, we KNOW that Wilt blocked 15 sky-hooks in the 71-72 playoffs alone. In the last two games of that series, Chamberlain blocked 20 Buck shots...and 11 of them were Kareem's.

Here again, those that claim Kareem was a better player should take a closer look at their H2H meetings. Even more importantly, what would a PRIME Chamberlain have accomplished against Kareem?

Quote Originally Posted by magnax1
    I kinda laughed when he said he could remember 15 thousand names. Anyone think that is remotely possible?
    Of course, there are people who literally learn phone books with hundreds thousands of names, too bad I dont have such memory

Good High School Starter

http://www.nba.com/media/sixers/Poll...0607_Stats.pdf

In the first pages you can find data about Wilt's 1961-62 season and on the last paged you can find a stats about all games between Russell and Chamberlain.
    That's amazing!!!! Thank you so much for showing the report! especially the detail recap between Wilt and Russell!!!

how about the recap between Wilt and Kareem? is there any record in the Pollack's book?

and i assume Pollack has also kept tracking Wilt's shot blocking records, hasn't he?

any idea about that ?

3-time NBA All-Star

That's amazing!!!! Thank you so much for showing the report! especially the detail recap between Wilt and Russell!!!

how about the recap between Wilt and Kareem? is there any record in the Pollack's book?

and i assume Pollack has also kept tracking Wilt's shot blocking records, hasn't he?

any idea about that ?
    Pollack was and is the premier statistician in all of professional sports. And, while he did record many of Wilt's blocks, there were not "officially" kept. However, he is on record as saying that Chamberlain averaged double-digit blocks in his career. He also had one game in which Chamberlain blocked 25 shots.

You don't really need a recap of the Kareem-Wilt matchups, as Julizaver pretty much summed it up. IMHO, Wilt, at the very LEAST, battled Kareem to a draw in their H2H matchups...all on aged knees and well past his prime. One can only assume that he would have dominated Kareem in his PRIME.

Good High School Starter

Quote Originally Posted by jlauber
    Pollack was and is the premier statistician in all of professional sports. And, while he did record many of Wilt's blocks, there were not "officially" kept. However, he is on record as saying that Chamberlain averaged double-digit blocks in his career. He also had one game in which Chamberlain blocked 25 shots.

You don't really need a recap of the Kareem-Wilt matchups, as Julizaver pretty much summed it up. IMHO, Wilt, at the very LEAST, battled Kareem to a draw in their H2H matchups...all on aged knees and well past his prime. One can only assume that he would have dominated Kareem in his PRIME.
    do you have anything or linkage can show that Pollack's statistics? so that i can spread it out to more people, in fact, a lot of people don't know about Wilt's blocking ability... it gotta be a figure to let them know how good Wilt was, by doing that, we need some proof even it's not official yet, hope i make myself clear, thx in advance i appreciate it pretty much.

Wilt will dominate Kareem in his prime, i have no doubt about it, totally agree! i've been collecting the vid

Not airballing my layups anymore 3ptShooter's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by G.O.A.T
    The Irony about Kareem making those comments is that's many of Kareem's flaws were much more damaging to him and his teams than Wilt's. Kareem never had the intelligence to play the game at the level his skills and physical gifts suggested he should.
    Huh? What you talkin bout Willis?

That said, Kareem was clearly an ass and the way he went personal on Wilt shows the combo of ego and insecurity that many greats seem to have. Maybe all those years of battling in the post didn't help.

PERSONAL STORY INVOLVING KAREEM AND WILT
    This seems somewhat related...

Years ago I purchased a ticket to a KAJ signing. Was told to "bring anything", so I made a custom piece of art (just a very small drawing, but it took a lot of time).

The day of, I'm in line waiting. I was approached by someone from the show saying Kareem didn't sign anything but pictures or bballs (as I remember), and that I could purchase one if I wanted. I explained what I was told, but after he "talked to his people" it was still a no. I told them to shove it and got my money back.

The guy behind me starts talking about how he went to a similiar event for Wilt and he was the nicest guy. Would sign anything, and chat with you a bit. He confirmed his previous experience with Kareem was not so much.

I've always rooted for KAJ to soften up over time, which he certainly has. His past attitude has prevented him from getting the coaching job he's always wanted, so I guess attitudes have concequences. I wish him the best in his illness battle.

Quote Originally Posted by 3ptShooter
    Huh? What you talkin bout Willis?

That said, Kareem was clearly an ass and the way he went personal on Wilt shows the combo of ego and insecurity that many greats seem to have. Maybe all those years of battling in the post didn't help.

PERSONAL STORY INVOLVING KAREEM AND WILT
    This seems somewhat related...

Years ago I purchased a ticket to a KAJ signing. Was told to "bring anything", so I made a custom piece of art (just a very small drawing, but it took a lot of time).

The day of, I'm in line waiting. I was approached by someone from the show saying Kareem didn't sign anything but pictures or bballs (as I remember), and that I could purchase one if I wanted. I explained what I was told, but after he "talked to his people" it was still a no. I told them to shove it and got my money back.

The guy behind me starts talking about how he went to a similiar event for Wilt and he was the nicest guy. Would sign anything, and chat with you a bit. He confirmed his previous experience with Kareem was not so much.

I've always rooted for KAJ to soften up over time, which he certainly has. His past attitude has prevented him from getting the coaching job he's always wanted, so I guess attitudes have concequences. I wish him the best in his illness battle.
    my grandpa always told me when kareem came to LA he was viewed as a recluse. he was sort of one of those guys in the late 60's early 70's who embraced the malcolm x/back to africa/brotherhood movement in america and kept to himself for that reason. he HATED the media...and still does very very much. if he had it his way he'd never be on camera. he's just a very introverted person i guess. anyone who's ever seen/been around magic johnson knows he's probably one of the happiest/entertaining folk to be around for extended periods of time and that probably just made kareem look like more of a butthole. he's still my favorite...i think people sometimes forget not all bball players have the personality of a kobe or wilt. sometimes they're soft spoken brothers of islam, or pot smoking acid taking vegetarian hippies from san diego ;-)

EDIT: i just read what G.O.A.T. wrote about kareem not being "intelligent enough" to be a better ball player. i do not think his issue was intelligence...he was a very smart athlete on the contrary. graduating from UCLA in the 60's isn't the cake walk baron davis and kevin love have made it look over the past few years. he only gave what he felt was necessary to the game during any random game. he was not the type to go out and put up 60 even if he felt he could. he deferred to his teammates and conserved his energy/mind for when it was needed. kareem doesn't have 1/3 of the ego wilt had, he just doesn't like being around other people it seems
    Last edited by purple32gold; 03-31-2010 at 01:40 PM.

Local High School Star

any idea about that ?
    No, Harvey Pollack did not post this shot-blocking stat anywhere in the net and I think that his records are lost (maybe).
    Regarding Kareem- Wilt recaps such complete data doesn't exist in the net - only in the book Who's best who's better in basketball by Elliot Calb exist a brief summary with points and rebounds only - and on espn link there is info about their first duel and again the brief sumary. So I collect this manualy by google searching using unorthodox methods ( to gain info from LA Times, which want from you to pay to view the content, and the other source were two Milwaukee newspapapers and several others in fact) . Also used the data from arpb.org. In fact I spent a lot of my free time to gain it.
    I have the info about all the 28 games and that's why I post it here with the assists numbers and FG % - and also post some data on youtube.

Dou you knoew that KU track all the shot blocking data of WIlt during his 2 years with them - in total 302 blocks - more than 6 blocks per game. :) And consider the facts - there is no 24 seconds on that time in NCAA and teams using freezing tactics to stop WIlt's dominance, the NCAA game is 40 minutes, the final scores in Wilt's games were something like 60 to 50.

http://www2.kusports.com/news/2009/m...born-first-3d/

3-time NBA All-Star

No, Harvey Pollack did not post this shot-blocking stat anywhere in the net and I think that his records are lost (maybe).
    Regarding Kareem- Wilt recaps such complete data doesn't exist in the net - only in the book Who's best who's better in basketball by Elliot Calb exist a brief summary with points and rebounds only - and on espn link there is info about their first duel and again the brief sumary. So I collect this manualy by google searching using unorthodox methods ( to gain info from LA Times, which want from you to pay to view the content, and the other source were two Milwaukee newspapapers and several others in fact) . Also used the data from arpb.org. In fact I spent a lot of my free time to gain it.
    I have the info about all the 28 games and that's why I post it here with the assists numbers and FG % - and also post some data on youtube.

Dou you knoew that KU track all the shot blocking data of WIlt during his 2 years with them - in total 302 blocks - more than 6 blocks per game. :) And consider the facts - there is no 24 seconds on that time in NCAA and teams using freezing tactics to stop WIlt's dominance, the NCAA game is 40 minutes, the final scores in Wilt's games were something like 60 to 50.

You have become a valuable resource here!

Good High School Starter

Such a pity that there's no data post on net......

just out of curiosity, can you post the recap game by game between Wilt and Kareem? it is quite interesting to see those data game by game, i m writing something to memorize their meeting with vid

Local High School Star

[QUOTE=alexandreben]Such a pity that there's no data post on net......

just out of curiosity, can you post the recap game by game between Wilt and Kareem? it is quite interesting to see those data game by game, i m writing something to memorize their meeting with vid