Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    Winning>Stats

Default Re: Up close with Wilt (talks about sex life, feud with Kareem, Shaq etc)

Quote Originally Posted by OhNoTimNoSho
    You can tell Wilt is smart by how articulate he is. Some great stuff in this interview, I wish players today acted a little more like wilt.
    says the guy with an Allen Iverson mug shot as his avatar.

Local High School Star

Default Re: Up close with Wilt (talks about sex life, feud with Kareem, Shaq etc)

Quote Originally Posted by magnax1
    I kinda laughed when he said he could remember 15 thousand names. Anyone think that is remotely possible?
    It's extremely possibly, but unlikely he'd actually go through the trouble of doing it.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Method_of_loci

he 2006 World Memory Champion, Clemens Mayer from Germany, used a 300-point-long journey through his house for his world record in "number half marathon", memorising 1040 random digits in a half hour. One individual has used the method of loci to memorise pi to 65,536 digits.[14]

3-time NBA All-Star

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jerry_Lucas

[COLOR="DarkRed"]"Lucas also became a media darling in New York, where he found a large market for his magic tricks, memory games, and other products. He amazed many by memorizing portions of the Manhattan Phone Book or memorizing the names of an entire studio audience in sequence during television appearances. He also had a knack for taking words apart and then respelling them alphabetically in rapidfire order ( his name would spell E-J-R-R-Y A-C-L-S-U ). Lucas showed many how mental games and memory exercises could build brain power and intelligence for people at any age."[/COLOR]

Incidently, did anyone else notice Wilt in that tank top during one of his conversations with Firestone? It was in 1989, and I HONESTLY believe he could still have played in the NBA at that time...at age 53!

National High School Star

Quote Originally Posted by warriorfan
    cool videos, gives you an insight into his personality

did anyone else notice how choked up he was after firestone read the passage from Kareem's book? he seriously was about to cry. i think he wanted to be liked by everyone and always felt he didn't live up to everyones lofty expectations
    I really didn't see much emotion after hearing the passage ,but I absolutely do AGREE with you that Wilt felt like he couldn't/didn't live up to everyone's unprecedented expectations coming out of HS. In the following video he gets choked up after never returning to Kansas(formally) for 41 years after losing the 57 NCAA championship in triple OT by one point(although he was tournament MOP) & blaming himself ,to the KU fans protests :

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BbxrzeUIzpI

If Kareem wanted to critique Wilt's game(since Wilt was critical of his) that was fine ,but he went off into personal stuff & came off looking small & Wilt took the high road.

That small passage was nothing as Kareem ripped Wilt for everything from Wilt's Republican leanings & support for Nixon in the highly charged racial climate of 60's, Kareem's perception that Wilt had also disrespected Black Women since he preferred dating outside his race,etc...... in addition to calling Wilt a 'loser'/'quitter'/'choker'.

Wilt was fairly accurate in his critique of Kareem's game especially of the mid/late 80's when he critique his rebounding(which was awful by then) & defense. Wilt, & others, had Basically said Kareem should have retired after 85 or 86(which Kareem would have done if not for serious financial difficulties at the time) & that critique from Wilt led to the classless personal attack Kareem unleashed on Wilt in his book. The Chapter was "An Open Letter to Wilt Chumperlame" or something like that.

Because of the expectations of Wilt as a High Schooler I now root for Lebron James because of the lofty expectations placed upon him(he has lived up to them so far ,but if he doesn't 'win enough' he will be torched).

3-time NBA All-Star

Quote Originally Posted by 32jazz
    I really didn't see much emotion after hearing the passage ,but I absolutely do AGREE with you that Wilt felt like he couldn't/didn't live up to everyone's unprecedented expectations coming out of HS. In the following video he gets choked up after never returning to Kansas(formally) for 41 years after losing the 57 NCAA championship in triple OT by one point(although he was tournament MOP) & blaming himself ,to the KU fans protests :

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BbxrzeUIzpI

If Kareem wanted to critique Wilt's game(since Wilt was critical of his) that was fine ,but he went off into personal stuff & came off looking small & Wilt took the high road.

That small passage was nothing as Kareem ripped Wilt for everything from Wilt's Republican leanings & support for Nixon in the highly charged racial climate of 60's, Kareem's perception that Wilt had also disrespected Black Women since he preferred dating outside his race,etc...... in addition to calling Wilt a 'loser'/'quitter'/'choker'.

Wilt was fairly accurate in his critique of Kareem's game especially of the mid/late 80's when he critique his rebounding(which was awful by then) & defense. Wilt, & others, had Basically said Kareem should have retired after 85 or 86(which Kareem would have done if not for serious financial difficulties at the time) & that critique from Wilt led to the classless personal attack Kareem unleashed on Wilt in his book. The Chapter was "An Open Letter to Wilt Chumperlame" or something like that.

Because of the expectations of Wilt as a High Schooler I now root for Lebron James because of the lofty expectations placed upon him(he has lived up to them so far ,but if he doesn't 'win enough' he will be torched).
    Wilt's jersey retirement ceremony at Kansas brought tears to my eyes. While few knew it at the time, he was dying. On top of that, he was afraid of the reception he would receive when he went to that ceremony, because he had left Kansas on some bad terms, some 40 years before. As you can see, though, it was a thunderous ovation for him. As a sidenote to that story, there was a limo waiting for him after the game...and instead, he decided to stay and sign autographs. They set up a table for him, and he signed EVERY request...some two hours worth.

AND, Wilt left KU $650,000 after he passed away. In fact, Wilt was generous his entire life. I have always found it interesting that Russell seemed to be a fan favorite, while Wilt was labeled the villain...and yet, those in the media that knew both of them, would say that Wilt treated them as human beings...something that Russell did not.

Incidently, speaking of villains...

Wilt WAS the villain of the NBA for most of his career. BUT, after he suffered that devastating knee injury in 1969, and came back much earlier than expected, he became more of a fan favorite (although the "heroic" Reed game seven was a joke IMHO....) Wilt faced Kareem in the 70-71 WCF's, and despite having lost BOTH Baylor and West before that series, and Keith Erickson during it...he manages to battle Kareem to a draw, and even led LA to a stunning upset in game four. What was really fascinating, though, was that in game five of that series, the Bucks destroyed the Lakers (although once again, Wilt played valiantly)...and as Wilt came off the floor late in the game, he received a standing ovation...and the game was played in Milwaukee!

Very entertaining. Thank god for youtube. Way before my time, but coming to this site that era doesn't seem like another dimension.

3-time NBA All-Star

Quote Originally Posted by jstern
    Very entertaining. Thank god for youtube. Way before my time, but coming to this site that era doesn't seem like another dimension.
    I only wish it would be possible to transport a 1967 Wilt to this era. IMHO, he was at his peak...and there has never been anyone better. Imagine a combination of Garnett, Shaq, and Duncan...with better rebounding skills than all three of them. When one considers that an aged Kareem was able to outplay a youthful Hakeem, and that an aged and less mobile Wilt (and Thurmond) were able to battle a youthful Kareem to draws in the early 70's...and that Wilt thoroughly outplayed Thurmond and Russell in that '67 season, and in his prime...

well, needless to say...he would be plastered all over ESPN every night.

[COLOR=Teal]The way Wilt played, he looked like a more athletic, offensive-minded Tim Duncan.
    [/COLOR]

3-time NBA All-Star

Quote Originally Posted by sbw19
    [COLOR=Teal]The way Wilt played, he looked like a more athletic, attack-minded Tim Duncan.
    [/COLOR]

I have posted this MANY times now...but Wilt's fall away bank shot was every bit as good as Duncan's bank shot. Not only that, but Wilt had a bigger variety of shots, was bigger, taller, stronger, faster, could jump higher...not even close...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C6k539HSbXM

National High School Star

Quote Originally Posted by 32jazz
    I agree. It's perfectly fine to talk about what he did on the court. But personal attacks are completely uncalled for.

he has an ridiculously large ego. this guy ****ing loved himself,.

3-time NBA All-Star

Quote Originally Posted by purple32gold
    he has an ridiculously large ego. this guy ****ing loved himself,.
    I hate to bring Jordan into topic...but has there been a more classless HOF speech?

Contrast that with Wilt's Kansas jersey retirement speech earlier in this topic.

Quote Originally Posted by jlauber
    I hate to bring Jordan into topic...but has there been a more classless HOF speech?

Contrast that with Wilt's Kansas jersey retirement speech earlier in this topic.
    understandable. he seems offended at the idea that anyone could be better at the game then him. he shows respect to players, but there is always this feeling of superiority with him. he's very curt and open which is good he doesn't BS anyone...but still...enormous ego. MJ's ego is on another level. not as insightful as wilt...more spiteful than anything for people that told him he couldn't do it.

Wow, you're tall CelticsDraftee's Avatar

Definitely good discussion there. Hate that mustache but I enjoy listening to what he has to say.

Local High School Star

Quote Originally Posted by jlauber
    I only wish it would be possible to transport a 1967 Wilt to this era. IMHO, he was at his peak...and there has never been anyone better. Imagine a combination of Garnett, Shaq, and Duncan...with better rebounding skills than all three of them. When one considers that an aged Kareem was able to outplay a youthful Hakeem, and that an aged and less mobile Wilt (and Thurmond) were able to battle a youthful Kareem to draws in the early 70's...and that Wilt thoroughly outplayed Thurmond and Russell in that '67 season, and in his prime...

well, needless to say...he would be plastered all over ESPN every night.
    I finally received an activation, so I can add some data :). Actually Wilt Chamberlain outplayed Russell not only in the playoffs, but in nine regular season meetings he averaged 20.3 ppg 26.7 rpg 6.6 apg on 54.9 shooting against 12.2 ppg 21.1 rpg 3.9 apg of Russell (don't have the FG %), but Boston wins 5:4. In playoffs both increased their numbers but Wilt was awesome.

As you mentioned game 5 of 1971 WCF in Milwaukee - Wilt outplayed Kareem and for a stretch of 14 minutes and a half held Kareem whithout a field goal - blocking five of his attempts - Wilt finished the game with 23 points (10 from 21), 12 rebounds, 6 blocks (5 against Kareem) with 4 assists. Kareem has 20 points (on 7 from 23 shooting), 15 rebounds, 5 assists. That's why Wilt received ovation from Milwaukee fans when goes to the bench two minutes before game's end.

For me Kareem and Wilt are the best centers in the history of basketball and they can dominate in any age of basketball.