Banned

Default Why do NBA refs suck so much?

I am watching the replay of this GSW Boston game and it made me realize or better to say, question nba reffereeing overall. I mean, the thing that they don't react to traveling, that's something i'm used to, even though i don't know why it has become accepted and statements like "he didn't gain advantage" are dumb and they have nothing to do with the actual rules. But now we see moving screens all the time, and i am not talking just about GSW even though people point out their most, i am not here to hate on GSW, but overall, and stepping over the line on free throws? Why is it allowed, as far as i know player can't step over the free throw line until the ball hits the rim, but i don't even know if refs know about that.

When i am wathching Euroleague games, refs are much better, i mean, they still make mistakes, that's normal, but, if you switch your pivot foot, or make 2 steps before you start handling the ball, they'll blow the whistle, and i am not some Euroleague fan/NBA hater, i watch NBA much more but since i live in Europe i get to watch some games live and watch it from time to time.

Is it that refs get instructions not only to try to follow the rules, but actually to adapt them to the game so it makes it more fast, and more like a show cause it really bothers me, i mean rules are here to follow, why do refs act like it's a pick up game and they don't need to follow every rule.

I ask that cause it's hard for me to believe that refs that get to referee in the best basketball league in the world can be bad, if the league is on the top i expect the refs to follow that. Maybe i am overreacting, but i think that has become "too accepted" to let it play....

Very good NBA starter

Default Re: Why do NBA refs suck so much?

It's because Adam Silver is a moron who wants to make the game to appeal to the lowest common denominator. He has no respect for the game at all, only respect money.

There's no other professional sport that's this lax with basic rules. Imagine if golf or tennis officials started letting their players bend the rules to appeal to the masses.

Decent college freshman theaussieguy's Avatar

Definitely a combination of appealing to the masses and general inadequacy, every single ref looks and acts like an egomaniac with severe physical and mental inadequacies, it's hilarious because even at the rec level this is true. ****in weirdos

NBA rookie of the year senelcoolidge's Avatar

There should be an asterisk for how the game is officiated today. There as been favoritism and superstar calls for almost forever, but today's game is so blatantly lax on rules(it's almost not real basketball) that it should be regarded differently from past eras. Players are scoring off travels, you have illegal screen left and right, assists are a joke now, it should be off the catch and than shot..it's silly.

NBA Legend and Hall of Famer

They're just following the script.

How would Lebron score if he wasn't allow to travel, run over people and use his stiff arm?

Local High School Star gilalizard's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by 90sgoat
    It's because Adam Silver is a moron who wants to make the game to appeal to the lowest common denominator. He has no respect for the game at all, only respect money.
    To be fair, what's going on is basically a continuation of the Stern era.

Quote Originally Posted by Blue&Orange
    How would Lebron score if he wasn't allow to travel, run over people and use his stiff arm?
    As much as I despise Lebron as a man and father to his kids, this is a grown mans game. I enjoy the physcial play and it was fun to watch LebRon baby the weak little players the Knicks had matched up against him just a few games ago

People in every sport always think that their refs are the worst.

Very good NBA starter

Quote Originally Posted by gilalizard
    To be fair, what's going on is basically a continuation of the Stern era.
    Yes but you got to admit that Silver like the Dean from Community

Always looking to do new things and trying to be hip and fresh, but really he just shows no appreciation for the actual game of basketball.

Have you seen NCAA refs? 10x's worse.

I coach HS bball, and I can tell you that HS refs are dreadful.

Quote Originally Posted by FireDavidKahn
    People in every sport always think that their refs are the worst.
    I don't think this is the case in sports like Tennis. Maybe football, because some things like holding are a judgement call, and you never really know why it's called sometimes and why it's not other times. But holding and PI are like fouls in basketball. Travelling, Palming and FT lane violations don't have an equivalent in other sports. That would be like allowing the QB to run past the line of scrimmage a bit and still throw the ball forward, or something. That's not allowed even a little bit. They stop the game and go to instant reply and shit.

Quote Originally Posted by 90sgoat
    Yes but you got to admit that Silver like the Dean from Community

Always looking to do new things and trying to be hip and fresh, but really he just shows no appreciation for the actual game of basketball.
    Stern basically cultured the NBA in such a way that the scrubs from the '80's and '90's flourish in the NBA.

MJ would be a glorified DeRozen (with worse 3pt shooting) and Magic would be an oversized Rubio (with terrible defense).