Page 3 of 21 FirstFirst 12345613 ... LastLast
    NBA Finals

Default Re: Shaq close to agreement with Celtics

Quote Originally Posted by HylianNightmare
    i like the magic's chances over boston than miami, they just have way too many threats.

boston will be missing perk, who is great at defending dwight, and rasheed who also does a good job and replacing them with JO and shaq
    Perk is only out for the first half of the season, if not only a tad more. he'll be there during playoff time tho.

Quote Originally Posted by BFRESH44
    Is Shaq really going to sign for the veteran minimum?

Jermaine O'Neal who has been washed up for years, gets a Median Exception figure for 2 years after his dreadful post-season showing.

Yet Shaq settles for the vet min(who was all NBA 3rd team just 2 years ago)? Hard to believe.

Gotta figure a sign & trade is in the works.
    according to Brian Windhorst the Cavs have nothing to do with this

Comcast Boston reports Celtics close to a contract with Shaq. According to sources, #Cavs are not involved in sign-and-trade talks w/Celtics

I am your soldier!

That must mean Sheed will actually retire, probably after trading his contract.

Local High School Star barkleynash's Avatar

Great Signing, especially with Perk out. Shaq and JO will fit in great with these other vets. Play em both 20 minutes per with Big Baby getting the left over from them and KG. That's a great 4 post rotaion. When Perk comes back then it will be dec time, but with all those old bodies one of them will probably break down solving the logjam.

Quote Originally Posted by crisoner
    I wanted Shaq to come back to the Lakers to be honest.
    But I know he would not play off the bench etc.
    It would just be nice to see him go out as a Laker...he brought 3 titles to our franchise and played his best ball here. But oh well....honestly not to mad seeing him go to the Celtics of all teams. I except Shaq for who he is.....ring chasing. But at least he is toward the end of his career so he gets a pass.
    Sasha for Shaq

NBA Finals

With Kendrick Perkins likely out until next January or February after suffering a torn ACL in Game 6 of the 2010 NBA Finals, the Celtics need size. They've already signed Jermaine O'Neal, and now, they might be signing another big-name player.

According to A. Sherrod Blakely of Comcast SportsNet, the Celtics are "closing in" on a deal for none other than Shaquille O'Neal. This will obviously raise some eyebrows, because of Shaq's advanced age and his ineffectiveness in Cleveland last year, but with the Celtics' need for size, it's a logical signing.
    one of the biggest lies of the off-season

This make sense with Perkins out until next year. Shaq should be able to put the same numbers as Perkins.

NBA rookie of the year 04mzwach's Avatar

If Shaq signs, I've got the Celtics to win the championship in 2011.

Quote Originally Posted by 04mzwach
    If Shaq signs, I've got the Celtics to win the championship in 2011.
    To be honest, this signing would push them over the top IMO for at least the best team in the east. Yes Miami has great talent but Boston is so battle tested and veteran laden right now I think they might just have one great year left in them.

Local High School Star barkleynash's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by lilbeastnani
    To be honest, this signing would push them over the top IMO for at least the best team in the east. Yes Miami has great talent but Boston is so battle tested and veteran laden right now I think they might just have one great year left in them.
    spit the truth fellow bargs fan

Tom Thibadeu and Allen out.

Von Wafer and Shaq in.

There goes your defense down the crapper..

Saw a basketball once That1Dude07's Avatar

people care about Shaq still? i didnt realize this was 1999

Decent playground baller

Quote Originally Posted by 1~Gibson~1
    one of the biggest lies of the off-season

Exactly. Second leading scorer in the playoffs and he wasn't even pulling thirty minutes a game, and he was coming in totally stale after suffering a fluke injury. Before the injury Shaq was rounding into form quite nicely while still getting limited minutes. Shaq is a great fit for the Celtics. He's still a low post option, and he's not going to clog the paint on the offensive end any more than Perkins would. Sure, he's not great on the pick and roll, but Perkins wasn't great at it either. He still can block shots around the rim, and he can defend other big men. In games against teams like the Lakers and the Magic he'll be very useful, just like he was for the Cavs last year.

Perkins comes back and Shaq's one of the best backup centers in the league. If Perkins doesn't come back or is severely hampered then I'd much rather roll into the playoffs if I was the celtics with Shaq at center over Jermaine.

The Magic are a trash HylianNightmare's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by 1~Gibson~1
    Perk is only out for the first half of the season, if not only a tad more. he'll be there during playoff time tho.

according to Brian Windhorst the Cavs have nothing to do with this

but then i'm taking into account time for perk to get back into the grove of things, and once perk gets in foul trouble they don't have sheed to come back and hastle dwight, then it's onto JO and shaq, neither of who are the defensive stoppers that bother dwight

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by ZenMaster
    Tom Thibadeu and Allen out.

Von Wafer and Shaq in.

There goes your defense down the crapper..

Celtics still have Pierce, Ray, KG, JO, Rondo, and Perk. All good/great defender. So I don't understand your point. Those additions would mean no more 5-8 minutes without scoring. Celtics suffered a lot last season because of long drought without any offense.

Worse on defense, better on offense. I guess that's okay since they're usually top-5 defense lately anyway.

Good pick up. Hope he lays a good elbow into RuPaul on opening night.