Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Default Re: Rock is dead in 2019 but we still have AC/DC!

Quote Originally Posted by Hey Yo
    The best ACDC song with Bon Scott

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JGftIcp2SC0

That's one of my all time faves but I have a bunch of all time faves with Bon Scott AC/DC.

Quote Originally Posted by TheMan
    Bro, there really isn't much in the way of quality rock music going on today, I refuse to get into Led Zep copycats like Greta Van Whatever they're called Other than Tool coming out with their latest release, what else I there?
    What do you think of this shit?

When Bon Scott died people thought that was the end of the band but they came roaring back with Back In Black, which is easily a top ten album of the 80s, an instant classic.

I

Shoot To Thrill is my fave AC/DC track. Lawd that song rocks!

Quote Originally Posted by rufuspaul
    When Bon Scott died people thought that was the end of the band but they came roaring back with Back In Black, which is easily a top ten album of the 80s, an instant classic.

I’ve seen them live 3 times. Angus Young does not stop moving for 3 solid hours. Incredible.

You know that Back In Black songs were pretty much all written and Bon wrote most of the lyrics and put the melody down to most songs...he died right before they were gonna head into the studio to record the album, would've love to have heard Bon sings those songs. I know there are AC/DC fans who prefer the Brian Johnson era but for me and a bunch of hardcore fans, it's Bon all the way. I believe they would've gotten just as big if Bon never died. Highway to Hell was huge too, it was really their breakout album, Back In Black was their biggest album because that was AC/DC peaking, and there was a ton of press coverage amongst rock fans after Bon died.

My problem with Johnson is that after Flick of the Switch, they started sounding like they were just half assing their songs with a few notable exceptions. Plus, Johnson's voice has fallen off a cliff after Fly on the Wall.

To me, Scott is the superior frontman, Johnson can't really do justice to Scott's songs live, but that's just my opinion...

Musical tastes are subjective, you into that whiny, I'm worthless, woe is me rock?
    I'm into anything from The Doors to Tool to Suicidal Tendencies to Bush to The Beatles.

If Stained and Disturbed are considered shitty artists, then sign me up to sound like shit so I can make the big bucks. I've definitely heard worse.

Too me, there's a lot of stuff that is good, it's just not my cup of tea. Like Def Lepperd's "Hysteria" album or Bon Jovi's "Slippery When Wet" album..... they're full of great songs, but you'd never catch me owning those CD's, purposely playing em' or leave on the radio station if one of the songs came on. Just can't get into it.

If you (not yourself, just in general) can't do some headbangin' to Stained's "Mudshovel" then..........

Quote Originally Posted by Hey Yo
    I'm into anything from The Doors to Tool to Suicidal Tendencies to Bush to The Beatles.

If Stained and Disturbed are considered shitty artists, then sign me up to sound like shit so I can make the big bucks. I've definitely heard worse.

Too me, there's a lot of stuff that is good, it's just not my cup of tea. Like Def Lepperd's "Hysteria" album or Bon Jovi's "Slippery When Wet" album..... they're full of great songs, but you'd never catch me owning those CD's, purposely playing em' or leave on the radio station if one of the songs came on. Just can't get into it.

If you (not yourself, just in general) can't do some headbangin' to Stained's "Mudshovel" then..........
    I know that song, seen the video too. Problem I have with them is that Stained were copying that self deprecation rock lyrics that Kurt Cobain started with. They don't sound like Nirvana obviously but they aren't original at all, lyrically speaking. They even copy Korn, the way they have their instruments slung way low.

I was around in my own rock bands back in the early 90s, when that huge shift from 80s metal to 90 alt rock happened. I remember how cringey I thought it was that everyone was wearing flannel shirts, shorts and work boots, copying Pearl Jam's look That was the main problem with rock, an original band comes along with their own sound and look, they become successful and a bunch of cookie cutter bands follow Stained to me are just ripping off other bands.
    Last edited by TheMan; 09-27-2019 at 12:36 PM.

Almost every rock band to ever come out of California is overrated. What's up with that?

TBH, not really that much into Brian Johnson AC/DC, I mean they have a cool song here and there from their later albums but for me, I love every record from the Bon Scott era. It's tough to pick out a favorite but I'll pick one...

https://youtu.be/_bP6aVG6L1w

I love the first three Johnson albums, kind of started losing interest after Blow Up Your Video. I have every record but the Scott songs are mostly what I listen to...

https://youtu.be/7iF26wKF-_M
    Good picks.

Brian Johnson AC/DC and ZZ Top were my introduction to music as a kid so I'm admittedly biased in favor of them. Now that I'm older I could definitely understand somebody's preference for Bon Scott. Don't think I can quite bring myself to that opinion myself though.

3-time NBA All-Star Lakers Legend#32's Avatar

Nobody could get that "balls smashed with a hammer" vocals like Bon.

Get him a body bag! Patrick Chewing's Avatar

Local High School Star Bimbo Coles's Avatar

Turning the excrement of your beloved dog$hit band into bittersweet sugar, it's Mr. Sun Kil Moon...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nLNY146RkUI