Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Default Re: Is Elton Brand a Hall of Famer?

Quote Originally Posted by RRR3
    Thank you for at least taking this thread seriously.

It's hard to take a thread seriously when the answer is not thread worthy. Eight years of approximatley 20/10, that is a good career. But he made... what two all star games in his career, one all-NBA team (a second team)? That means the fans didn't appreciate him, or the coaches didn't appreciate him because he was posting these stats on bad teams that didn't make the play-offs, or a combination of both.
    Then you factor in these other choices:

1. He made the play-offs once in this span.
    2. No enormous contribution outside of the hard-wood floor.

That is simply not H.O.F worthy.

Quote Originally Posted by Kellogs4toniee
    It's hard to take a thread seriously when the answer is not thread worthy. Eight years of approximatley 20/10, that is a good career. But he made... what two all star games in his career, one all-NBA team (a second team)? That means the fans didn't appreciate him, or the coaches didn't appreciate him because he was posting these stats on bad teams that didn't make the play-offs, or a combination of both.
    Then you factor in these other choices:

1. He made the play-offs once in this span.
    2. No enormous contribution outside of the hard-wood floor.

That is simply not H.O.F worthy.
    You'd be surprised about some of the players in the HOF. Brand has a better case than a few for sure.

You'd be surprised about some of the players in the HOF. Brand has a better case than a few for sure.
    So whats the point of a hall of fame when everyone gets in it??

Please give me examples.

Also keep in mind as time passes, it generally gets harder and harder to get into the H.O.F because of the greater amount of people in there leading to harder judges based on precedence. A player accepted in the 70's might have got in with 8+ years of 20/10 numbers, but then you add in all the great players in the 80's, 90's, and 2000's that you have to now compare against Brand... call it unfair but these days the only way to get into the H.O.F when your only contribution is on the hard floor is:

1. Accolades
    2. Stats
    3. The above for a very prolonged period of time : 10 years.

Now-adays it is harder to get in because you have so many more players, accolades, number, statistics, and peers to compare yourself too when judges are selecting.

Quote Originally Posted by Bosnian Sajo
    So whats the point of a hall of fame when everyone gets in it??
    Hard to say. I would'nt have in the HOF if I chose who went in, but then again you have guys like Bill Bradley and Tom Gola in the HOF...

Quote Originally Posted by Kellogs4toniee
    Please give me examples.

Also keep in mind as time passes, it generally gets harder and harder to get into the H.O.F because of the greater amount of people in there leading to harder judges based on precedence. A player accepted in the 70's might have got in respective to the players before him, but now-adays it is harder to get in because you have so many more players, accolades, number, statistics, and peers to compare yourself too when judges are selecting.
    For one Drazen Petrovic. He's in as a "player" and he played 290 NBA games. Obviously not his fault, but if he's in it should be as a contributer.And what about Bill Bradley? How the **** is he a hall of famer?

Great player, but not enough achievements.

The Magic are a trash HylianNightmare's Avatar

can't even think of a reason to make an argument for him

you can't stop me get these NETS's Avatar

For one Drazen Petrovic. He's in as a "player" and he played 290 NBA games. Obviously not his fault, but if he's in it should be as a contributer.And what about Bill Bradley? How the **** is he a hall of famer?

Bill bradley was an all american, gold medal olympic winner, and won rings in New York..

East Coast media bias says he gets into the HOF....in fact most members of the 70s Knicks champion teams are in the Hall....blame east coast media bias

---------------

Petro was one of the alltime great euro players.....definitely one of if not THE first euro to receive all nba honors...and STELLAR olympic and amateur career.....his national team was only one to pose ANY kind of threat to Dream Team..and he was lighting them up.

elite Euro players who never stepped foot in the NBA like oscar schmidt are in hall, i think, so petro belongs there too

===============================

Elton Brand is like shareef abdur rahim.....numbers are there but teams are ALWAYS lousy... a compiler not a winner

NBA Legend and Hall of Famer Smoke117's Avatar

Probably not because of lack of success but he was the best player in the league in 2006 imo. No matter how good you are...you aren't going to do much without some kind of help. Then again he was only a super star that one year. He's one of my favorite players of all time but if I had to decide...no I would not put him in the hof.

Saw a basketball once

are you kidding
    he is a good player, but far away to be a hall of famer

Very good NBA starter

Quote Originally Posted by Smoke117
    Probably not because of lack of success but he was the best player in the league in 2006 imo.

Good college starter EricForman's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by D.J.
    Most likely not. In his defense, these were his first 8 seasons:

-20/10/2 with 1.6 BPG
    -20/10/3 with 1.0 SPG and 1.6 BPG
    -18/11+/2+ with 1.0 SPG and 2.0 BPG
    -18+/11/2+ with 1.1 SPG and 2.5 BPG
    -20/10/3 with 2.2 BPG
    -20/9+/2+ with 2.1 BPG
    -25/10/2+ with 1.0 SPG and 2.5 BPG
    -20+/9/3 with 1.0 SPG and 2.2 BPG

If he plays for any other team, he's a borderline candidate at the very least.
    Yes, Brand definitely was GOOD ENOUGH to be in it, but really, sometimes all of these things comes down to luck. One of the greatest examples is Nique vs James Worthy. The Lakers considered taking Nique going into the draft but instead took Worthy. It's probably not too fetch to conclude that Nique would have some rings and a far more decorated career (as the 3rd best player on those legendary Laker teams) while Worthy may have won nothing.

Had Brand landed on a team wither another superstar and he was allowed to play second fiddle, he woulda at least made the playoffs every single year (that'd lead to more all star selections), which means he'd be a solid candidate. But isntead he landed on the Bulls and then the Clippers.

Only elite, pantheon level talents (the Jordans, Birds, Duncans, Kobes, Shaqs) can dictate their own destiny (I think those guys woulda won rings regardless of where they ended up), but for everyone else in the league, sometime it really comes down to the luck of the situation.

Brand was a 20/10 MACHINE. He definitely could have been a hall of fame...
    Last edited by EricForman; 09-08-2011 at 06:27 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by EricForman
    Yes, Brand definitely was GOOD ENOUGH to be in it, but really, sometimes all of these things comes down to luck. One of the greatest examples is Nique vs James Worthy. The Lakers considered taking Nique going into the draft but instead took Worthy. It's probably not too fetch to conclude that Nique would have some rings and a far more decorated career (as the 3rd best player on those legendary Laker teams) while Worthy may have won nothing.

Had Brand landed on a team wither another superstar and he was allowed to play second fiddle, he woulda at least made the playoffs every single year (that'd lead to more all star selections), which means he'd be a solid candidate. But isntead he landed on the Bulls and then the Clippers.

Only elite, pantheon level talents (the Jordans, Birds, Duncans, Kobes, Shaqs) can dictate their own destiny (I think those guys woulda won rings regardless of where they ended up), but for everyone else in the league, sometime it really comes down to the luck of the situation.

Brand was a 20/10 MACHINE. He definitely could have been a hall of fame...
    Thanks, bro. You see what I'm saying at least.

Quote Originally Posted by get these NETS

Petro was one of the alltime great euro players.....definitely one of if not THE first euro to receive all nba honors...and STELLAR olympic and amateur career.....his national team was only one to pose ANY kind of threat to Dream Team..and he was lighting them up.

elite Euro players who never stepped foot in the NBA like oscar schmidt are in hall, i think, so petro belongs there too

===============================

Elton Brand is like shareef abdur rahim.....numbers are there but teams are ALWAYS lousy... a compiler not a winner
    Exactly, it's the Basketball HOF and not the NBA HOF..

I feel the same about Elton Brand also. He put up great numbers, but when watching him (and his teams), I never felt like he added as much as you would think by his numbers.

He fits into the mold of David West and Zach Randolph (eventhough EB was better than both, especially on Defense). Players that put up (close to) 20 and 10 and are legit all stars, but are not the main reason for their team's succes.
    When a player like KG, TD gives you 20 and 10 on a nightly basis, it's much bigger than EB's 20 and 10 was. Even in his heyday, on a good Clippers team, you'd hardly see him during some games (to me at least) and when the game was over and I saw the boxscore, he'd have 25 and 12 and get credit for his team succes..
    The Clippers formed a good team that year, of which EB was an integral part. He got a lot of praise and even some MVP consideration. I felt like it was more of a team effort than his individual greatness that made the Clippers a solid team.

He was a great player though and he could have been a great 2nd option on a good team. He had Hall of Fame talent. He was called upon to lead teams though and he was never that type of player.