Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Local High School Star Inactive's Avatar

Default Re: Magic Johnson told Dwight Howard he could never play in the NBA

Quote Originally Posted by Pinkhearts
    How can Magic be fake when he told Dwight how he really felt?

He could have said the usual "That's great work hard keep it up" to the 15 year old kid like most teachers do to their students. Only a man keeping it real could have pointed such a weakness out to Dwight so that he began working on his body or you won't see the freak of Dwight that he is today.
    I think they mean that the jovial, nice guy role that he plays, publicly, is fake. What he said to Dwight, is him showing his true colors.

Local High School Star Pinkhearts's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Inactive
    I think they mean that the jovial, nice guy role that he plays, publicly, is fake. What he said to Dwight, is him showing his true colors.
    You can be a jovial nice guy and also tell a kid he is too skinny.

I'm sure you're a jovial nice guy, but are you going to tell American Idol contestants they are great and will be a superstar one day? I'll rather be nice and tell them they suck here and there so they can either work on their weaknesses or give up hope and find another trade

Local High School Star Inactive's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Pinkhearts
    You can be a jovial nice guy and also tell a kid he is too skinny.

I'm sure you're a jovial nice guy, but are you going to tell American Idol contestants they are great and will be a superstar one day? I'll rather be nice and tell them they suck here and there so they can either work on their weaknesses or give up hope and find another trade
    Generally, good natured, easy going people don't say things like "You'll never make it", to the kids who idolize them. A nice guy would most likely say something along the lines of "Work hard, get in the weight room, and keep working on your skills".

Maybe Magic knew that being a dick would inspire kids, more than encouraging them? Maybe he was just in a bad mood? Maybe he's really just a dick? You can interpret it however you want.

Wasn't there. Can't judge.

NBA players should tell everybody "you got no chance at making the NBA, pursue your education instead" as general principle.

5-time NBA All-Star

I think yall might be judging the wrong guy. DH still impresses me as a young, lost guy that is trying to maintain an outside persona that is contrary to who he is. Plus he planks - lol ok, not reason to go sour on the guy.

Magic is a guy that seen death, rejection and fear in his face. He seen his wife, co-workers and family look at him with judging eyes as he had to tell them things that had to cause him great pain. He sees life different than most. Magic does a lot of work with inner city youth and employs them. His AIDS work is well known. He's a motivational speaker so he knows the value of uplifting someone. While many complained at how inaccessible KAJ was Magic never made mention of it and resuscitated his career.

Have you ever seen Magic? Everything he does, he does it with passion. He not very articulate but he's usually involved to the max in what he does. Magic is a guy that knows the value in others, sacrificed heavily for a cause and even played unselfishly. To me he seems like the least likely guy to say something like that. I mean maybe he knows how to motivate centers and saw something in DH... naw. DH is more clown than he is motivated by somebody telling him he doesn't have it. DH doesn't play like Jordan or AI, guys torched by the thought of someone saying they aren't good enough. DH is a great player but he seems like he's motivated by a punchline we aren't getting.

Magic might have said "buff up guy. You won't make it without muscle tone - you look like the stickman in the game Hangman." And DH went and got muscles instead of low post moves and wants to blame Magic for him being a dork his first seven years.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Pointguard
    I think yall might be judging the wrong guy. DH still impresses me as a young, lost guy that is trying to maintain an outside persona that is contrary to who he is. Plus he planks - lol ok, not reason to go sour on the guy.

Magic is a guy that seen death, rejection and fear in his face. He seen his wife, co-workers and family look at him with judging eyes as he had to tell them things that had to cause him great pain. He sees life different than most. Magic does a lot of work with inner city youth and employs them. His AIDS work is well known. He's a motivational speaker so he knows the value of uplifting someone. While many complained at how inaccessible KAJ was Magic never made mention of it and resuscitated his career.

Have you ever seen Magic? Everything he does, he does it with passion. He not very articulate but he's usually involved to the max in what he does. Magic is a guy that knows the value in others, sacrificed heavily for a cause and even played unselfishly. To me he seems like the least likely guy to say something like that. I mean maybe he knows how to motivate centers and saw something in DH... naw. DH is more clown than he is motivated by somebody telling him he doesn't have it. DH doesn't play like Jordan or AI, guys torched by the thought of someone saying they aren't good enough. DH is a great player but he seems like he's motivated by a punchline we aren't getting.

Magic might have said "buff up guy. You won't make it without muscle tone - you look like the stickman in the game Hangman." And DH went and got muscles instead of low poste moves and wants to blame Magic for him being a dork his first seven years.
    Oh word

I wonder what Magic would have said to Kevin Durant... but then again he's a swingman.

Where the hell were guys getting Scotty and Barkley looked disinterested at the speech? did not see that at all.

Clipper Nation Soldier Clippersfan86's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by 1987_Lakers
    Magic Johnson might seem like a really nice guy on TV, but privately I think he is completely fake, you can detect the "fakeness" when he is on TV laughing at jokes that weren't even that funny. I remember when he was giving his speech in the HOF in 2010 when the 1992 dream team got inducted, you can see Barkley & Pippen in the background looking at Magic uninterested & annoyed, but when Bird gave his speech right after, he was making Barkley, Pippen & others laughing their asses off. You can sense they respect Bird more than Magic.
    Magic definitely puts on a show. That was always the difference between Bird and Magic. Magic was often viewed as the "nice" guy but it was quite the opposite. Sure Bird was more blunt and loud but underneath Magic was WAY dirty and even more competitive probably.

It's basic human psychology though. The guys who talk a perfect game and always have a smile tend to be the most dangerous. The guys who talk the most or seem intense are usually the more harmless ones.

Banned

Magic is never a good judge of talent.

Good High School Starter

No one else thinks Magic was just kidding around with a 15 year old kid?

Quote Originally Posted by Kevin_Gamble
    No one else thinks Magic was just kidding around with a 15 year old kid?
    Or at least trying to motivate him to bulk up.

5-time NBA All-Star

Do you all really think its Magic's personality to go around telling guys in top notch programs that they aren't going to turn pro? That he wasn't used to seeing guys that were very skinny? DH doesn't seem conflicted to you guys?

Quote Originally Posted by 1987_Lakers
    Magic Johnson might seem like a really nice guy on TV, but privately I think he is completely fake, you can detect the "fakeness" when he is on TV laughing at jokes that weren't even that funny. I remember when he was giving his speech in the HOF in 2010 when the 1992 dream team got inducted, you can see Barkley & Pippen in the background looking at Magic uninterested & annoyed, but when Bird gave his speech right after, he was making Barkley, Pippen & others laughing their asses off. You can sense they respect Bird more than Magic.

Thats not true, lol, legit i just rewatched his speech and they laughed at his jokes and seemed interested?