Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Exclamation Becoming A Single Leg Jumper

Ok so I think I am predominantly a 2 foot jumper. I get high with it but I lose momentum when trying to go for a dunk ( I can dunk off an alley oop). Can someone give me advice on what to do to make the switch. I have been considering doing Duck Walks to help.

P.S - I saw the video on single leg form and I tryed it but I either didn't do it right or something but I couldn't even grab rim.

HELP!!

Underdog

Default Re: Becoming A Single Leg Jumper

You probably want to be able to jump off either foot, so I would strongly recommend practicing layups. Practice both left and right layups. For the right layup, make sure to jump with your left leg, and for your left layups, make sure to jump with your right foot. Remember that you want to jump wide, not high when you practice your layups.

yea I do those. Btw Im 5' 10" 145 lbs

Quote Originally Posted by LevisJeans
    You probably want to be able to jump off either foot, so I would strongly recommend practicing layups. Practice both left and right layups. For the right layup, make sure to jump with your left leg, and for your left layups, make sure to jump with your right foot. Remember that you want to jump wide, not high when you practice your layups.
    Yea do this! I had your same problem MannyO. I could only dunk off of 2 legs with both hands, or 1 or the other. I'm a left, so I can jump off of my right leg now and dunk 1 hand. This makes it a lot easier when you have a fast break or something. Jumping off of my left leg to dunk with my right is a little weak right now, and the same for 2 hands. I can dunk 1 leg 2 hands, but I have to be closer to the rim and I don't dunk very hard that way because I don't want to risk missing it.

Oh and what do you mean by jump wide? Like long stides?

Banned

just practice jumping one footed
    i was a one footed jumper and could only dunk off one foot
    but i DREAMED of taking off two feet and slamming it down
    i ended up playing volleyball to get in shape for basketball season
    and naturally it's alot of two footed jumping
    after the volleyball season my vert was the same, only that the first time i tried dunking off two feet i slammed it easy, where as before i could barely hang on the rim

it's all about muscle memory, put in the reps and you'll reap the benefits

Good college starter NotYetGreat's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by MannyO
    yea I do those. Btw Im 5' 10" 145 lbs
    I'm so envious. We're pretty much the same body type, but I can't grab the rim. I probably need 2 more inches to do so, but maybe half a foot or so to be able to dunk the ball. I've been practicing what the video said though ( I assume you got it from my thread the other week ) and it's helped. It feels smooth. While I can't grab the rim yet, it's getting comfortable. Sounds like you should do some split squats or whatever you call them.
    put in the reps and you'll reap the benefits
    Not entirely true. In fact, increasing reps will more often than not make your muscles work with less intensity. I don't know why, but it seems as if it's an automatic response from the body or so. I'm no scientist, but then it does make a lot of sense, what other people say about "Reps vs Intensity".

I feel like I'm the opposite of the OP. I always feel like I'm in the air twice as long when I jump off one foot. My two-feet jumps seem to be pathetic. Is this possible or am I just imagining things?

Underdog

Oh and what do you mean by jump wide? Like long stides?
    Yes. When you practice your layups, make sure your first step is a long stride. When you jump, try to jump far out. It helps to slap the backboard, too.

Yea I understand what you guys are saying. I think I need to practice power skips or something. Im not sure what Im doing wrong maybe not bringing my right knee up. Anybody have exercises or videos?

Underdog

Yea I understand what you guys are saying. I think I need to practice power skips or something. Im not sure what Im doing wrong maybe not bringing my right knee up. Anybody have exercises or videos?
    Think of it this way: Your wrists have a string tied to your knee. When you pick up your right hand to go for a lay up, your right knee goes up with it. It's the same for your left hand. When you lift your hand to go for a lay up, your knee goes up with it.

Quote Originally Posted by LevisJeans
    Think of it this way: Your wrists have a string tied to your knee. When you pick up your right hand to go for a lay up, your right knee goes up with it. It's the same for your left hand. When you lift your hand to go for a lay up, your knee goes up with it.
    Ok. I suppose I need powerful hips right? Or just being able to transfer momentum.

just go to a gym or a park and practice taking a running start from the angles (about 3 strides) and then leap off 1 leg and grab rim. Work on this with both feet. Work on doing reverse layups without a ball and just grabbing the rim instead. Work on making an approach and doing a 2 legged jump grabbing rim.

We do these drills for 2 minutes in practice, i mean 2 minutes with 14 people is different from 2 minutes constantly from 1 person, so take about 10 second breaks and go at it again.

I have found that:
    I can easily grab rim leaping off my left foot from the right side or going reverse
    I can grab rim off 2 legs but everytime I try to 2hand it I always end up missing with my left hand and my right hand doesn't reach above the rim as high
    I can only touch the rim leaping off my right foot (reaching up with left hand)

I'm 6' 171 lbs

Do you think if I practice these things my 1 leg vert will become the same or higher than my 2 leg? Or do I need strength training?

Do you think if I practice these things my 1 leg vert will become the same or higher than my 2 leg? Or do I need strength training?
    strength training helps ofc, but you should be able to reach new highs just by perfecting your jumping form