Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
    NBA Legend

Default Why do people think Heat Shaq was second option?

I should clarify to say second most important player, because obviously statistically based on FGA he was second "option" but what is the case that he was their second best player? In '04 Shaq got 58 first place MVP votes. Wade got zero.

In 05 neither of them got any first place MVP votes. Per 36 Shaq had 23/11 on 60%. Wade had 25/6 on 50%. Altho proportionally Wade is a better wing defender than Shaq is a paint defender, Shaq's paint defense was still more important overall.

At the very LEAST they were equally impactful. Why do people always categorize it as 1. Wade, 2. Shaq?

Is it because:

A) Wade had more total points and that's what impresses people most?
    2) Media gave Wade FMVP (not that he didnt deserve but its ONE series)
    D) People always overrate wings and underrate bigs?
    $) They hear other people say it so they say it
    X) They always have to have a batman and robin, their mind can't compute the thought of equal contributions

Watchu think, Willises? How was Wade the alpha when Shaq was literally a couple votes away from MVP during that era and Wade didn't get a single first place vote, and Shaq's 20pts on 60% plus still playing important D was the single most important thing for the Heat regardless of Wade's great perimeter play?

Banned

Default Re: Why do people think Heat Shaq was second option?

Can someone please note Wade's teams win percentage without LeBron and Shaq?

its probably puke worthy

NBA Legend and Hall of Famer tpols's Avatar

Shaq dominated against eastern teams as he always has.. he needed wade to carry him once real western competition emerged. Just what it is.

Shaq w/o Wade has 3 rings.. 0-1 rings w/o Kibe.

The first year they were together you could make the case of Shaq being more important hence the MVP votes. Wade was only a sophomore at that time.

But anyone that watched the playoffs knew that Wade was clearly the alpha and better player.

If I recall, The Mavericks shifted their defense to stop Shaq. Wade did a great job of making them pay, but it was clear in 2006 that Shaq was still a major threat

College superstar

Quote Originally Posted by Akrazotile
    In '04 Shaq got 58 first place MVP votes. Wade got zero.

In 05 neither of them got any first place MVP votes.
    I think you meant '05 and '06.

Quote Originally Posted by joe
    If I recall, The Mavericks shifted their defense to stop Shaq. Wade did a great job of making them pay, but it was clear in 2006 that Shaq was still a major threat
    No, Wade was the better player than Shaq in nearly every series they were together. Especially that Finals series.

This wasnt a case of Shaq and Kobe having comparable numbers and people talking about 1a and 1b.

NBA Legend

Quote Originally Posted by jlip
    I think you meant '05 and '06.

The 04-05 and the 05-06 season

04-05 playoffs
    Wade 27/7/6 48%
    Shaq 19/8/2 56%

05-06 Playoffs
    Wade 28/6/6 50%
    Shaq 18/10/2 61%

Dont make me pull up Shaq's first option numbers.

NBA Legend

Quote Originally Posted by navy
    No, Wade was the better player than Shaq in nearly every series they were together. Especially that Finals series.

This wasnt a case of Shaq and Kobe having comparable numbers and people talking about 1a and 1b.

Wade had better numbers but that's not everything. Rip Hamilton had better numbers than Ben Wallace.

The paint is more important than the perimeter, that's just basic basketball info. Even if Wade had a slight side-by-side performance edge, it was close enough that by dominating the paint Shaq's was actually more meaningful.

I remember all the hulabaloo at the time over Wade's performance and thinking "Shaq is getting severely overlooked here. All the credit is going to Wade, but Shaq is still CLEARLY this team's primary advantage over others."

And IMO people always rank them as 1 and 2 so they can simply use it to make 'legacy' arguments when in fact, it's really just not possible to actually rank their importance. It's indistinguishable. You can make an argument for either one. But somehow it's been accepted apparently just due to repetition and the fact that giving Wade a "first option ring" and Shaq a "second option" ring makes for a more layered debate in each player's legacy.

Basically to sum up: I feel labeling Wade as the automatic Alph and Shaq as second fiddle is done more for narrative purposes than accurate hisotrical ones.

Shaq was never really the second option at all from when he came into the league until 06 (fell off after that, though his longevity is underrated). Still, Wade (and earlier Kobe) took advantage of the coverage faced (and still went up against some tough defenders), and performed admirably a good deal. Can't hold it against them. MJ would be the second option to prime Shaq as well.

Banned

NBA Legend

Quote Originally Posted by navy
    04-05 playoffs
    Wade 27/7/6 48%
    Shaq 19/8/2 56%

05-06 Playoffs
    Wade 28/6/6 50%
    Shaq 18/10/2 61%

Dont make me pull up Shaq's first option numbers.

So basically Wade took more shots and that's it. And Shaq's defense was more important. And so your point is...

Wade had better numbers but that's not everything. Rip Hamilton had better numbers than Ben Wallace.

The paint is more important than the perimeter, that's just basic basketball info. Even if Wade had a slight side-by-side performance edge, it was close enough that by dominating the paint Shaq's was actually more meaningful.
    Where is the proof of this I might ask?

Wade and Shaq had near identical winshares and off/deff net ratings in 04-05. Wade was a sophomore I might add.

And in 05-06, it honestly wasnt even close. Wade obliterated everyone else on the team. Even Shaq.

So basically Wade took more shots and that's it. And Shaq's defense was more important. And so your point is...
    Again, I ask where is your proof of this?

Wade took more shots because Shaq was at the stage in his career where he could no longer create for himself effectively as much. Most Big Men go through this stage. Unless you think the Gameplan was to stop Shaq from scoring 30+ on high percentages like he use to. Hint: It wasnt.