Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops

Go Back   Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops > InsideHoops Main Basketball Forums > Off the Court Lounge

Off the Court Lounge Basketball fans talk about everything EXCEPT basketball here

Old 04-29-2011, 02:36 PM   #1
enayes
Barefoot Bandit

Default Car/Tire question

I have a 1998 Subaru Impreza Outback Sport. It just passed inspection but one of the tires has almost no tread. I want to replace the tire for safety reasons.

I was told that since my car is AWD that is is important to have 4 identical tires. The one tire that needs to be replaced is a different brand than the other 3, but it is the same size 205/60/15.

I have tried to find a Nankang EX-601 (other 3) but it seems to be discontinued. I have located some Nankang tires in the same size but they are a different model. I can't afford to get 4 new tires and the other 3 are still in great shape. Would it be alright to use a tire of the same size but different model on my AWD subaru?
enayes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2011, 02:41 PM   #2
wheyhigh
con my cuerno de chivo

Default Re: Car/Tire question

Quote:
Originally Posted by enayes
I have a 1998 Subaru Impreza Outback Sport. It just passed inspection but one of the tires has almost no tread. I want to replace the tire for safety reasons.

I was told that since my car is AWD that is is important to have 4 identical tires. The one tire that needs to be replaced is a different brand than the other 3, but it is the same size 205/60/15.

I have tried to find a Nankang EX-601 (other 3) but it seems to be discontinued. I have located some Nankang tires in the same size but they are a different model. I can't afford to get 4 new tires and the other 3 are still in great shape. Would it be alright to use a tire of the same size but different model on my AWD subaru?
yeah, just make sure it's the same size. some manufacturers may claim 205/60 but it will be different from another tire brand that also claims 205/60. you'll be fine though since you said it's the same brand, but different model.
wheyhigh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2011, 02:45 PM   #3
enayes
Barefoot Bandit

Quote:
Originally Posted by wheyhigh
yeah, just make sure it's the same size. some manufacturers may claim 205/60 but it will be different from another tire brand that also claims 205/60. you'll be fine though since you said it's the same brand, but different model.

Alright, thanks. I read about how even small differences can really mess up the AWD system. It's an old car anyway but I'd like it to last for awhile, has about 148,000 on it.
Old 04-29-2011, 02:46 PM   #4
wheyhigh
con my cuerno de chivo

Quote:
Originally Posted by enayes
Alright, thanks. I read about how even small differences can really mess up the AWD system. It's an old car anyway but I'd like it to last for awhile, has about 148,000 on it.
it's a subie though; with proper maintenance it will last you an eternity. the only difference will be thread pattern. those tards at discount tire and what not will make it seem like it is of high importance, all of it is with the end goal of selling you more tires.
wheyhigh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2011, 03:28 PM   #5
PHX_Phan
Local High School Star

I'd just get a whole new set, otherwise your changing patterns will continue to be off. As far as different tread patterns, they can make a difference even if the size is the same. On my old car I had rubbing problems with my first set of BFG's, so I decided to upgrade to a nicer BFG tire of the same size and it was enough to eliminate the rub on the strut seat. Not to mention putting a new tire on with others that are worn.

They aren't really blowing smoke up your ass about the AWD thing. You don't want your drivetrain spinning at a different pace. Who makes your car is unimportant, the way you maintain and care for a vehicle is ultimately what matters.
PHX_Phan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2011, 04:12 PM   #6
Godzuki
NBA Superstar

its true you're supposed to have all 4 of the same tires for AWD vehicles, i just went thru the same thing. Unfortunately it seems like tires end up on back order or discontinued pretty often(kumho customer service is awful - sounded like some old fat lady pissed off she had to answer the phone), even brand new ones. Its pretty dumb.

I'd recommend shopping for used tires and get a set of 4 used of the same type. Also you should know the number with the letter is real important, like 99H which i think is your tire tread design which makes a big difference. All i know is the letter suffix is real important to matching with the other tires.
Godzuki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2011, 04:20 PM   #7
PHX_Phan
Local High School Star

Quote:
Originally Posted by Godzuki
its true you're supposed to have all 4 of the same tires for AWD vehicles, i just went thru the same thing. Unfortunately it seems like tires end up on back order or discontinued pretty often(kumho customer service is awful - sounded like some old fat lady pissed off she had to answer the phone), even brand new ones. Its pretty dumb.

I'd recommend shopping for used tires and get a set of 4 used of the same type. Also you should know the number with the letter is real important, like 99H which i think is your tire tread design which makes a big difference. All i know is the letter suffix is real important to matching with the other tires.

Good idea. If you don't want to drop the coin on a whole new set you can check out some used places. I put four Goodyears on my last truck with 90% of the tread left for $150 including putting them on.
PHX_Phan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2011, 06:23 PM   #8
enayes
Barefoot Bandit

pretty sure both models are 91H
This NBA Basketball News Website Sponsored by: