Page 11 of 13 FirstFirst ... 8910111213 LastLast

This thread is hilarious... an instant classic... and again, FabCasablancas is in the middle of the fray. I wonder who will side with him this time.

Learning to shoot layups TiMavericks21's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Younggrease
    Sorry but Bird doesnt lose like that in the finals. Just doesnt happen. Maybe Bird starts actually steping up and taking charges or something. Also dude would just laugh at HAslem trying guard him. He would either score on him or pick apart the psuedo zone they were throwing with his Amazing passing ability. I more of a MAgic fan than a Bird fan, but give the man his respect. Bird was better than Dirk at everything. But most importantly he was a much BETTER LEADER.
    Dirk has never claimed to be a leader, he leads by example but people just assume that the best player on a team is automatically a leader. Leaders are born, not made.

And to rebuke your comments, Dirk was refereed completely different than Wade was, regardless of their style of play. They allowed physical play against Dirk during the Finals(Halsem, Walker and Posey all pushed him around), which will obviously hurt his because he is a finesse player and bangin' is not his game. On the other end, everytime Wade gets breathed on, literally, a foul was called. I'm not blaming the Finals loss on that because the Mavs had their opportunities, but there has to be consistency with the way the FINALS are officiated. It was an unbelievably poor job. Stern should just be truthful about it instead of trying to protect his refs.

Quote Originally Posted by theinfamousmobb
    Haslem/Posey did a damn good job on Dirk, that no one can say otherwise.
    Yes, because physical play was allowed. Dirk would catch the ball 15-20 feet out and Haslem/Walker/Posey already were pushing him and had their hands all over. If they allow that kinda play, fine, but then you can't call EVERYTHING at the other end, which they did.

Dunking on everybody in the park

w/e a new season is about to start. New slate for everyone. New slate for dirk wade etc etc. Dirk can easily come back and shut up wade by winnnig a ring this season. He and the mavs did it last year so they can come back and do it again. And what is so wrong with people saying what they think of a person? IF dirk thinks that "he was just let through" obviously b/c they didnt want fouls called on them then let him say it. Wade doesnt even need to respond to that. He should just dismiss it and the only way Dirk can prove that is by facing miami in the finals again or just winning a damn ring b/c proving it in the regular season wont work cus miami wasnt all that great in the regular season last year when the mavs creamed them.

Samurai Swoosh

Well, that wasn't that bad of "trash talk"... even so, with Wade, it was probably done in light hearted jest. Not with malicious intent. Wade's a nice guy. Plus, he is right in what he said though. And Wade did dominate the Mavericks, no matter how you cut it.

Not airballing my layups anymore KingofKings718's Avatar

LOL. They'll likely meet again in the Finals, so we'll see what's really good.

Quote Originally Posted by Younggrease
    I think he means that 28 yr old Kobe is better than 45 yr old Jordan.

Dirk is not overrated his is rated right where he should be. About 5 or 6 in the league. Dude plays no defense and has played on stacked teams and was never able to get a championship and only managed 1 finals apperance. You would think after TMAC layed the blueprint on how to stop Dirk, he would expand his game, obviously he didnt.

Until Dirk gets a post game, he will get shut down when it matters by the same type of defense the Rockets and HEat played.

Just put a player tall and agile. Like TMAC, Ryan Bowen, Jefferies, HAslem and have them contest his jumpers and be physical with him. Then he is taken out of his game.
    So because Dirk has one bad series, all of a sudden T-Mac is laying blueprints, and Ryan Bown is a tall and agile defensive stopper huh? Good points. If I recall, Dirk was guarded in Rounds 1,2 and 3 this year by guys that are tall, agile and good defenders. I would say he faired pretty well against Shane Battier, Bruce Bowen and Shawn Marion. So your theory just goes right out the window right there. Make a valid point for once in your life.

Samurai Swoosh

If you get physical with Dirk, he gets rattled. It was visible all through out the NBA Finals. I can't imagine what he would do if he was playing in the 90's.

NBA lottery pick

Wade was asked about the ESPN interview in which Nowitzki seemed to hint Dallas allowed Wade to slice through its defense rather than Wade doing with his own ability.

READ folks, READ. ESPN assumes that Dirk hinted toward the fact that the Mavs let Wade slice through their defense. What Dirk probably hinted at, was that every time they touched him or gave him a strange look he got a foul call. Of course the gutless media would put a little different spin to it, and Wade would get all sensitive, because he got stripped naked in the World Championships and deep down inside knows Stern served him a title on a silver plattern. He can talk all the crap he wants, but he knows he truth.

I rule the local playground joewait's Avatar

Ok, let me explain my point as clearly as possible, since a bunch of people here aren't too intelligent. Never once did I say Dirk or Kobe is a greater player than Bird or Jordan, considering the latter dominated their eras. My point is that when Jordan came in the league, everything he did was new. Barely anyone else could do what he does. Well Kobe has mastered everything Jordan did, AND he has better range. it's not that complicated to understand or fathom, it really isn't. same goes for Dirk. Back then a 6'9'' forward with long range skills was rare, and now it simply isn't that rare. if you can't poissbly begin to understand that, you're either not very intelligent and/or you've never played basketball. Any coach or former player can tell you this is the case. The competition is simply too good now and the league has more players and teams (including more good players) that it's not possible for any one or two players to just dominate the league. If you can't see that, you're probably not the brightest guy out there. Just watch a game from the 80s, and it looks like slow motion compared to now.

Quote Originally Posted by sic
    I can agree with all except Dirk.
    In fact i would put KG, Elton Brand,TMAC above Dirk.

You just lost all respect, and I don't even know you. What has T-Mac done, he's never been past the 1st round of the playoffs? Elton Brand, very solid player, he'd be in my Top 10, no way better than Dirk. His Clippers are just as talented as the Mavs, and yet where have they gotten? Being a good player is all about where you get your team. Dirk has watched all of his teammates(Nash, Finley, Walker, Jamison, Van Exel) ALL LEAVE DALLAS, and yet his team hasn't won less than 52 games since 2000-01. Who do you think is responsible for that? Think before you speak.

Quote Originally Posted by Money 23
    If you get physical with Dirk, he gets rattled. It was visible all through out the NBA Finals. I can't imagine what he would do if he was playing in the 90's.

Exactly, because it's a completely different game now. But that's my point, the NBA referee's can't just suddenly decide to allow physical play during the NBA Finals(for one team only) when it hasn't been allowed in years. They did that, allowed physical play against Dirk(which Haslem/Posey/Walker did). I wouldn't even care so much if they allowed physical play from Dallas against Miami, but we all know what happened there.

Quote Originally Posted by joewait
    Ok, let me explain my point as clearly as possible, since a bunch of people here aren't too intelligent. Never once did I say Dirk or Kobe is a greater player than Bird or Jordan, considering the latter dominated their eras. My point is that when Jordan came in the league, everything he did was new. Barely anyone else could do what he does. Well Kobe has mastered everything Jordan did, AND he has better range. it's not that complicated to understand or fathom, it really isn't. same goes for Dirk. Back then a 6'9'' forward with long range skills was rare, and now it simply isn't that rare. if you can't poissbly begin to understand that, you're either not very intelligent and/or you've never played basketball. Any coach or former player can tell you this is the case. The competition is simply too good now and the league has more players and teams (including more good players) that it's not possible for any one or two players to just dominate the league. If you can't see that, you're probably not the brightest guy out there. Just watch a game from the 80s, and it looks like slow motion compared to now.
    I'm going to start calling people who say this kind of thing liars.

Jordan came back THREE YEARS AGO at 40 and at one point was putting up numbers only two other players in the league were.............Kobe and TMac. Further he had knee surgery that year as well. Still dropped 50,40 several times, etc. etc.

If there was such great competition now (bullshyt) and all of that, there is NO WAY a 40 year old man, on a bum knee, two years removed from NBA competiton would be able to put up the numbers he did. NO WAY.

So it is no stretch to assume that a prime Jordan would have fared just as well or BETTER (I say better given these new perimiter rules).

Lastly, NO perimeter player in the league currently has ever been through anything like the Bad Boy Pistons or early 90s Knicks teams. Hell, even some of those Miami teams were brutal defensively.

Oh, and please tell me about all the great centers there are in the league right now as compared to the 80s/90s. The big man post game has all but dissapeared. Have you ever watched basketball from that period or just highlights here and there?

Either counter every point I just made intelliegently, or stop talking nonsense.
    Last edited by Knoe Itawl; 10-31-2006 at 12:41 PM.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by TiMavericks21
    Exactly, because it's a completely different game now. But that's my point, the NBA referee's can't just suddenly decide to allow physical play during the NBA Finals(for one team only) when it hasn't been allowed in years. They did that, allowed physical play against Dirk(which Haslem/Posey/Walker did). I wouldn't even care so much if they allowed physical play from Dallas against Miami, but we all know what happened there.
    Dallas is too soft to play physical. And thanks for admitting that Dirk is soft. HE gets rattled by physical play.

Quote Originally Posted by JSub
    Wade gets to talk sh!t about Dirk until the day Dirk takes the title from him (which aint gonna happen anytime soon).
    You're right, because he won't be there to defend it.