Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops

Go Back   Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops > NBA Team Forums > Toronto Raptors Forum

Toronto Raptors Forum Toronto Raptors message board - Toronto Raptors forum

Old 12-16-2012, 03:59 PM   #16
bokes15
Playoffs!

bokes15 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterbokes15 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterbokes15 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterbokes15 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterbokes15 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterbokes15 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterbokes15 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterbokes15 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops poster
Default Re: Introducing: Ed Davis

Quote:
Originally Posted by FCardelle
According to that report, Ed Davis is a very long shot. He is an undersized center that still has to develop all his skills to play PF.
In the best case scenario he will be a complement to Bargnani with his weak-side defense, get stronger to be a good rebounder and develops some back-to-the-basket movements. In the worst case scenario he can easily be a bust.
Boy were you ever wrong. I remember you and beastnani being the biggest Davis doubters from day 1.
bokes15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2012, 04:52 PM   #17
Chamberlain
Riggin' for Wiggins!

Chamberlain has a terrific reputationChamberlain has a terrific reputationChamberlain has a terrific reputationChamberlain has a terrific reputationChamberlain has a terrific reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by bokes15
Boy were you ever wrong. I remember you and beastnani being the biggest Davis doubters from day 1.

I think I may have been the biggest

I'm proud to say he's proving me wrong, though.
Chamberlain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2012, 05:08 PM   #18
DJMason
High School JV MVP

DJMason is considered somewhat coolDJMason is considered somewhat cool

Surely regardless of whether he's traded Bargnani never starts for us again... right???
DJMason is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2012, 05:12 PM   #19
DJMason
High School JV MVP

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chamberlain
I think I may have been the biggest

I'm proud to say he's proving me wrong, though.

On the plus side it's STARTING to look like you were right on Ross. The kid is much more athletic than I imagined. His shot is actually on of the less impressive parts of his game right now, and that's not a slight.
Old 12-16-2012, 05:19 PM   #20
GoRapz
Fire Dwane Casey

GoRapz has decent reputation

Eddy D has impressed me so far this season. He has matured so much as a player. Who here still remembers the Ed Davis who looked disinterested with that still face on every time the camera was shown on him?

Well actually he still has that look on his face here and there but you can tell he just feels more comfortable. I think this is the Ed Davis every Raptor fan has been waiting for. So far he's showed he can at least be a player who provides energy and defense off the bench. Oh, and he's still only 23 years of age.

Ed still has plenty of things to improve on though. His offense is still very limited and he has stone hands. He also has to get stronger if he wants to bang with the better 4's in this league but to see his game progressing is one of the few bright spots in this shitty season so far.
GoRapz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2012, 05:29 PM   #21
bokes15
Playoffs!

bokes15 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterbokes15 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterbokes15 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterbokes15 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterbokes15 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterbokes15 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterbokes15 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterbokes15 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops poster

As much as I like him, I think there's only so much one can expect out of him at least offensively. Someone in another thread said Antonio Davis, and that's pretty much where I see his ceiling as well. Never a guy that you're gonna be able to run your offense through or give it to him and expect him to get you a bunch of iso buckets. But a dude who knows his role, plays it well. Hustles on D, grabs boards, pick and rolls on offense, cuts to the basket, putbacks, maybe the occasional hookshot here and there, and perhaps develops a consistent midrange game. I'd be very happy with that. Especially at a 13th draft pick.
Old 12-16-2012, 05:36 PM   #22
DJMason
High School JV MVP

Quote:
As much as I like him, I think there's only so much one can expect out of him at least offensively. Someone in another thread said Antonio Davis, and that's pretty much where I see his ceiling as well. Never a guy that you're gonna be able to run your offense through or give it to him and expect him to get you a bunch of iso buckets. But a dude who knows his role, plays it well. Hustles on D, grabs boards, pick and rolls on offense, cuts to the basket, putbacks, maybe the occasional hookshot here and there, and perhaps develops a consistent midrange game. I'd be very happy with that. Especially at a 13th draft pick.

AD was an allstar so yeah, would be thrilled if Davis reached that level and it's not impossible that he could. We'd just need the bulk of our offense to come from the guards and the sf slot (ie the Vince to his AD) with him and Val starting going forward which is honestly how it should be anyway.
Old 12-16-2012, 05:53 PM   #23
bokes15
Playoffs!

Quote:
Originally Posted by DJMason
AD was an allstar so yeah, would be thrilled if Davis reached that level and it's not impossible that he could. We'd just need the bulk of our offense to come from the guards and the sf slot (ie the Vince to his AD) with him and Val starting going forward which is honestly how it should be anyway.
I was thinking the other day how funny it is that in this day and age it's actually considered a weakness to have a big who's biggest strengths are rebounding and playing defense. But then you look at it and Ed Davis obviously has a chance at being a much more valuable player than Bargnani despite the fact that he will probably never put up 20/gm.
Old 12-16-2012, 06:12 PM   #24
DJMason
High School JV MVP

Quote:
I was thinking the other day how funny it is that in this day and age it's actually considered a weakness to have a big who's biggest strengths are rebounding and playing defense. But then you look at it and Ed Davis obviously has a chance at being a much more valuable player than Bargnani despite the fact that he will probably never put up 20/gm.

The key for Ed I think other than say an Eddie Curry is that he's quick enough to keep up with the pace of the modern game on both ends of the court. I think the 4 that spreads the floor is eventually gonna end up like the wildcat offense in the NFL, and will still be implemented from time-to-time to give teams random different looks but eventually teams will get back-to-basics from their bigs. I think the way we've played recently going back-to-basics vs. how we play with Andrea is a perfect example of why. It just works better in lieu of transcendent talent.
Old 01-08-2013, 10:57 AM   #25
lilbeastnani
InsideScoops

lilbeastnani has a bad reputationlilbeastnani has a bad reputationlilbeastnani has a bad reputationlilbeastnani has a bad reputation

Quote:
It's not so much I was a Davis doubter. FC was the one who thought he would be a bust. It's just that at the time when he was drafted, people were trying to say right then that we should trade Bargnani and start an extremely raw Ed Davis. Right now he's improved but it's still debatable as to whether he'll be a guy that is deserving of consistently cracking a starting rotation on a good team. Bargs is still the better player.
lilbeastnani is offline   Reply With Quote
This NBA Basketball News Website Sponsored by: