Page 3 of 19 FirstFirst 12345613 ... LastLast

Default Re: Wilt Chamberlain: 24 Inch Vertical

Quote Originally Posted by DuMa
    It was a weak era for measurement sticks
    yeah that joke was made in the last thread about wilt too.

Quote Originally Posted by loot
    yeah that joke was made in the last thread about wilt too.
    And was deleted.

@ Hoiberg clowning himself by mistake. Priceless.

National High School Star

another 60's related bashing thread

Quote Originally Posted by mjbulls23
    another 60's related bashing thread
    It is sad how guys don't appreciate history & are convinced that somehow we have become some superhuman athletes within a generation or two. Since thew Olympics are here:

MJ maybe they don't know that great 60's athletes like Bob Beamon still has the second longest Long Jump ever.

Maybe they don't know that Lee Evans(of the 60's) 400 meter record(43'86) wasn't broken until 1988 by a dirty Butch Reynolds & he(Evans) still is the 4th fastest 400 meter runner ever(including these supposedly "better" athletes & their performace enhancing drugs) Though I trust Michael Johnson.

The 68' 4 x 400 meter relay team world record wasn't approached until 1988 & dismissing the teams on which Butch Reyolds ran the 68' time is still the 2nd or 3rd fastest ever.

Jim Hines(of the 60's) ran a 9.95 which wasn't broken until 83(9.93) & has had many dirty athletes to set the record since Montgomery,(dirty)Gatlin(dirty)Be Johnson( ),Maurice Greene has been seriously implicated),etc,.....Too many to name here. I have my doubts about todays sprinters as Marion Jones & Antonio Pettigrew underwent extensive test for over six years but neither ever tested positive.

Carl Lewis & Evelyn Ashford are only two of a handful of "star" post 80's sprinters I believe may not be dirty. Why do they need drugs to compete if they are so naturally superior than 60's athletes

The human body can only do so much & today's athletes are only benefitting from better equipment & training to get the absolute most out of their bodies. The huma body hasn't improved that quickly. Matter of fact we may eve become worse athletes in the future as we are becoming a very sedentary society.

This sixties bashing is nonsense.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by 32jazz
    It is sad how guys don't appreciate history & are convinced that somehow we have become some superhuman athletes within a generation or two. Since thew Olympics are here:

MJ maybe they don't know that great 60's athletes like Bob Beamon still has the second longest Long Jump ever.

Maybe they don't know that Lee Evans(of the 60's) 400 meter record(43'86) wasn't broken until 1988 by a dirty Butch Reynolds & he(Evans) still is the 4th fastest 400 meter runner ever(including these supposedly "better" athletes & their performace enhancing drugs) Though I trust Michael Johnson.

The 68' 4 x 400 meter relay team world record wasn't approached until 1988 & dismissing the teams on which Butch Reyolds ran the 68' time is still the 2nd or 3rd fastest ever.

Jim Hines(of the 60's) ran a 9.95 which wasn't broken until 83(9.93) & has had many dirty athletes to set the record since Montgomery,(dirty)Gatlin(dirty)Be Johnson( ),Maurice Greene has been seriously implicated),etc,.....Too many to name here. I have my doubts about todays sprinters as Marion Jones & Antonio Pettigrew underwent extensive test for over six years but neither ever tested positive.

Carl Lewis & Evelyn Ashford are only two of a handful of "star" post 80's sprinters I believe may not be dirty. Why do they need drugs to compete if they are so naturally superior than 60's athletes

The human body can only do so much & today's athletes are only benefitting from better equipment & training to get the absolute most out of their bodies. The huma body hasn't improved that quickly. Matter of fact we may eve become worse athletes in the future as we are becoming a very sedentary society.

It was a weak era for steroids testing.

College superstar

It is sad how guys ... are convinced that somehow we have become some superhuman athletes within a generation or two.
    All that bull testosterone in the water supply will do that! :)

Great examples. Also the limited NBA footage that's available from that era doesn't help much either as well as the fact that people nowadays often confuse flashy moves with athleticism.
    Last edited by mjbulls23; 08-10-2008 at 11:05 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by loot
    idk but thats some ancient photoshopping... theres probably something which had to be concealed in the background. trampoline maybe.

not that i doubt wilt's abilities, but its just a strange pic
    Yeah, maybe they were using some secret anti-gravity machine developed during the Cold War?

Every generation wants to believe that they are special, and the time they live in is special. It would seem that in the world of sports fans, this means that you have to downplay the achievements of athletes who you, yourself, never saw. (The converse of this is the older fan who talks about the athletes of yesteryear as if they were gods and claims that today's athletes are inferior.)

As someone who has watched the NBA for over 40 years, I get tired of listening both types, but in this forum i usually have to listen to the younger guys who seem to believe that sliced bread is a new thing, and no player they have not seen can be compared to anyone playing today.

Please grow up and understand that there actually were great players and athletes playing before you were weaned from your mommy, and that many of them would still be stars today. And then think about how you will respond in 25 years when some kid starts making fun of Kobe, Lebron, or Wade and how inferior they were compared to the players of 2033.

Quote Originally Posted by Korki Buchek
    It is most definitely a primitive photoshop. I don't know how you can call yourself a human in 2008, where you see so many photoshops better than this one, but you can't see that this is a primitive 50s photoshop. It's a horrible photoshop to the trained eye that is used to seeing many photoshops:

Look at the right knee of one of the guys standing under Wilt, the one on the right. The canvas cuts through his right knee. Look at Wilt's shadow? What the hell is that? Especially the shadow of his right foot.. Did Wilt have pixelated shadows? Look at Wilt's hair, there is a white line around it.. Look at the shadow of Wilt's butt. You can see the line from right of the picture, someone didn't paint over it properly.. Plus there are various other details that suggest that this photo is certainly altered.
    I think the pic is partly painted, notice the brush strokes on the side.

And Psielas thinks it was a real picture.

Give Wilt a pair of proper Nikes for his career and see the difference. You guys ever try to play ball in "Chuck Taylors"? .....Pain and Blisters.

Learning to shoot layups mayorhoiberg's Avatar

Lots of good senses of humor on ISH.

Impressive.

Learning to shoot layups mayorhoiberg's Avatar

I don't even understand what people think I did... Self-deprecating humor, anyone? No one here thinks that its funny when someone makes a joke about themselves?

People seriously think I have a second account? Look at my join date. Look at the number of posts I have. Go back and read my post history. Do I really strike anyone as the kind of rube that would have more than one username for any reason at all?

It's pretty sad that no one got it.

Bol'd over

Admid it, you screwed up.