Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Default Re: How Much Has Wade Popularized The Euro Step?

Pretty much every guard uses it now. It's a staple now just like the hop step.

Good college starter

Quote Originally Posted by Vragrant
    Ginobili was the first allstar to use it as a staple in his game. Wades' explosiveness (by Ginobilis' own admission)and length took the move to another level. Its practically made Wade even more unguardable than he was before.

I see more and more guys using the move now, such as:

Rondo
    Westbrook
    Monta Ellis
    Eric Gordon

Even guys like Derozan and a few others that I can't remember right now (I even saw Derek Fisher stumble trying to do it on a fast break ). I really don't remember as much guys doing it as much in the past two seasons. Now although these guys aren't as good at it, I see it being used more and more.

Being that Wade has the most prolific use of the Euro step of all the elite players how influential has he been or has he been at all?
    Naw, many players use that move, players like Kobe was one of the first I seen do it in the early playoffs againt the Suns, but Manu and specifically Wade preferred to overuse it so much that people think they invented it.

Quote Originally Posted by Optimus Prime
    Ethnically no, but he did come from the Euroleague before joining the NBA.

So technically, I was right and wrong.
    Um, Ethnically yes. Ginobili is Italian.
    His nationality is Argentinian.

He's an Italian-Argentinian.

Manu and Wade didn't invent the Euro-step.

And the move is crazy hard to do effectively. You need have great coordination and lateral movement. You also need to be deceptive. Just pulling a Euro-step doesn't do anything unless the defender bites.

And most the hopsteps I see by street ballers are clear travels. Hell, most the hopsteps I see in the NBA are travels. There has to be a hard dribble as the jumping-foot leaves the ground. I see way too many guys that dribble and then step - hopstep (travel), or even the borderline embarrassing hopstep - hopstep travel.

Quote Originally Posted by pete's montreux
    damn his footwork was so good he had 4 pivot foots
    Lithuanians don't travel.
    It's forbidden by their Constitution.

That video must be edited.

I first noticed it with Ginobli but Wade took it to another level. He has the athleticism and explosiveness to still dunk after a eurostep which is RIDICULOUS http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5uRN7iJ5CqQ.

NBA Superstar

Quote Originally Posted by hitmanyr2k
    Probably the best move Ginobili has ever made. Crossed Kobe at the top of the key and then went elastic-man on Shaq

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Yw5QxYHxHdk&NR=1#t=3m30s
    Wow, that's kind of a coincidence because it was that specific finish around Shaq that made the light bulb go off in my head in regards to the move's feasibility in my own game. It's a great way to neutralize a defender.

I'd highly encourage the inclusion of this move into anyone's game. As a coach, I even run Euro-step drills in practice. For those struggling or feeling as though it's too tough or awkward to pull off, I say just take your time. I had to walk myself through the steps a series of times (though I can't remember how long it took to get down pat). Getting the Euro down was a lot like perfecting the "pick-up dribble then put ball behind back before laying up" move. It felt a little unattainable at first, but once the proper weight distrubution and steps are established, it feels sort of natural.

Also worth keeping in mind, not every Euro-step is going to break the defense's ankles. A lot of times I'll use the Euro simply to make the defense hesitate a little and provide just enough of an opening to weasel to the rim.

Quote Originally Posted by dj ys
    I first noticed it with Ginobli but Wade took it to another level. He has the athleticism and explosiveness to still dunk after a eurostep which is RIDICULOUS http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5uRN7iJ5CqQ.
    Thanks for that link. I never noticed this before, but it appears Dwyane's Euro was a little different there. The only Euro I pull off at this point (as a right hander) is a sharp stab to the right with my right foot then taking off in the opposite direction with my left. In Dwyane's case there, it looks like his first step was with that same right foot, but to the left, sort of pretzeling a little bit. I bet it probably gives him more lift as the direction change isn't so severe. I'm going to give that a try. The pretzel step.
    Last edited by Rake2204; 03-22-2011 at 10:32 AM.

Dwyane Wade - The Art Of The Two Step
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tmnBkzTIwts
    The master.
    Last edited by lefthook00; 03-22-2011 at 10:39 AM.

The Holy Trinity

Quote Originally Posted by bdreason
    Manu and Wade didn't invent the Euro-step.
    Exactly. What a strange argument to have considering neither one was anywhere close to being the pioneer of this move.

Wade really began using it during his injury-year when he had no explosion. He had to rely on guile instead, and this was one of his primary maneuvers. When he regained his normal-Wade explosion, he kept in his repertoire, and it is the combination of his explosion with the two-step that makes his use of it the most devastating in the league.

Incidentally, the way Wade played during the injury year is a good preview of what his game will look like once he "loses a step" and demonstrates that those who predict he will decline rapidly at that point are engaging in wishful thinking..

Banned

Ginobili, Tony Parker and Wade are the best at it. Wade is the only one I see DUNK after the move doe

NBA rookie of the year

I've seen Jordan do the Euro step a few times in games. I can remember one vs. Boston and one vs. Milwaukee in the late 80's that are both on youtube (I'll see if I can find them), and there's one example here as well vs. Atlanta, though this one is more subtle than the others:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Kkf7pOGBz7o#t=5m33s

Local High School Star

Quote Originally Posted by OldSchoolBBall
    I've seen Jordan do the Euro step a few times in games. I can remember one vs. Boston and one vs. Milwaukee in the late 80's that are both on youtube (I'll see if I can find them), and there's one example here as well vs. Atlanta, though this one is more subtle than the others:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Kkf7pOGBz7o#t=5m33s
    Was that a conscious move or did he just invent it on the fly? It certainly wasn't something he did often, that's the first clip I've ever seen of him doing it.

NBA rookie of the year

Quote Originally Posted by che guevara
    Was that a conscious move or did he just invent it on the fly? It certainly wasn't something he did often, that's the first clip I've ever seen of him doing it.
    Like I said, I've seen it a few times. This one is definitely a sidestep, but is more subtle than the other 2 instances I've seen (one vs. Boston where he drives right, then does a sidestep to the left for a short banker in the lane plus the foul, and one vs. the Bucks where he drives right baseline from the wing and then sidesteps to split Terry Cummings and his recovering primary defender for an easy layup; these are both on youtube - I'll see if I can find them later).

I guess he just did it on the fly. Jordan is the most creative player in history, so it doesn't surprise me. He did whatever he needed to do to find a seam.

NBA rookie of the year 04mzwach's Avatar

I've seen it done as early as the 80s, so stop the bull. "Euro" step!