Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234
    I hit open 5-foot jumpshots with ease

Default Re: Can we now finally admit 'small ball' doesn't win

Quote Originally Posted by DMAVS41
    The reason why small ball generally doesn't win is because of lack of defense. But the Heat manage to play great defense despite playing small ball...that is the big difference here.

Any style can work as long as you play quality defense.

I would have to agree.

I'm not sure if I've watched enough Heat games to state this assessment, but,
    It's not so hard to score against Miami once the opposing team managed to get the ball down low. The thing is, it's so hard to get the ball down low against Miami. Their help defense is superb. Lebron and Wade covers so much ground that their room for mistakes in helping others is big and Battier/Haslem/Bron almost always "front" against a taller post player with a help defense from the weak side if you throw the ball over the "fronting" defender.

I think one of the key things that Celtics were able to push the series into 7 games last year was mainly because of this play. When they front KG in the post, Rondo would throw a perfect lob or he would pass it on the top of the key and then a quick lob to KG. They were able to abuse Miami down low just because of this single play. Having Joel Anthony as your tallest player didn't help either.
    IIRC, this particular play was a little bit minimize to say the least when Bosh came back.

Dunking on everybody in the park Djahjaga's Avatar

Default Re: Can we now finally admit 'small ball' doesn't win

Quote Originally Posted by DMAVS41
    I think any offensive style can win.

The point is that you have to be able to defend well in the half court to win in the playoffs. A lot of times that means having at least 1 big that can protect the paint and play great help side defense and still rebound.

But the Heat definitely play "small ball"...they just also play great defense mainly due to Wade and Lebron....and effort from role players.
    This. People really get "didn't work" confused with "doesn't work." A lot of things can make or break a championship season.

A similar attitude is held for players around here. Do you really think a Charles Barkley led team can't ever win a title? Or Karl Malone for that matter? It's just circumstantial to say, "They didn't so they couldn't ever, under any circumstances."

Also, Miami won last year playing small-ball.