Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Default Political Correctness is the death of Freedom Of Speech

When people say: " I respect everybody's opinions"

They're really saying: "I respect peoples opinions...as long as they're the same as mine"

Face it, there is no such thing as freedom of speech. Controversial topics like gun control, gay marriages, pit bulls, Monsanto.......all pretty much all one sided and when you're on the wrong side you're labelled discriminant or ignorant.
    It's one thing to be ignorant, it's another to have an educated opinion

Default Re: Political Correctness is the death of Freedom Of Speech

you seem to not understated what freedom of speech means.

its not the freedom to say whatever you want without any repercussions.

its simply the freedom to say things w/o the gov't arresting your ass. (and even then there are certain limits)

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by hateraid

They're really saying: "I respect peoples opinions...as long as they're the same as mine"

Face it, there is no such thing as freedom of speech. Controversial topics like gun control, gay marriages, pit bulls, Monsanto.......all pretty much all one sided and when you're on the wrong side you're labelled discriminant or ignorant.
    Gay people say they want to make people understand that they should tolerate differences, but they cant tolerate someones difference of opinion on their behaviour.

Quote Originally Posted by kentatm
    you seem to not understated what freedom of speech means.

its not the freedom to say whatever you want without any repercussions.

its simply the freedom to say things w/o the gov't arresting your ass. (and even then there are certain limits)
    I was speaking more figuratively. The point I was making was more people getting chastised for having a difference of opinion

I was speaking more figuratively. The point I was making was more people getting chastised for having a difference of opinion
    too bad so sad

the people chastising are also exercising their freedom of speech.

again, freedom of speech doesn't mean you get to say whatever the hell you want w/o worrying about what others might say or think.

~the original p.tiddy~ ~primetime~'s Avatar

but seriously, what has Magic Johnson ever done?

he has AIDS

NBA rookie of the year

Thats not an infringement of your freedom of speech.

If you said I dont want guns in public or gay marriage is sinful and should always be kept illegal, and were arrested that would be an infringement of your freedom of speech.

No one in america is being arrested for bigotry, or any other opinions.

What you original post indicates you have a problem with is others reaction and their opinions on your freedom speech/expression of opinion.

You are allowed to in america to state your opinion on anything. (you will never be thrown in jail for this). Other people have the right to disagree with you and boycott/criticise you for your opinions. (thats their freedom of speech)

Eg. a science teacher has the right to join the flat earth society. Schools have the right to deny him employment for his views.

NBA rookie of the year

3 examples from my life:

1. I am an atheist: I have worked the majority of my life in texas. I keep this fact to myself, because I know it would negatively affect my life. Eg. career, etc.

I even went to stuff like my bosses church when he invited me.

2. I support a woman's right to choose, I keep that to myself other than in like minded company and online.

3. In my perfect world men would have the right to decide if the want to sever the ties to a child through an adoption like procedure. I keep this to myself in real life.

Now of this means I dont have freedom of speech. I have the right to argue any of these points and will never go to jail for it. I just realize that some of my opinions will result in other people looking down upon me and negatively affect me. Which is their right to freedom of expression.

NBA rookie of the year

people have always been chastised for holding a different opinion from the majority.

Eg. at one time suggesting whites were not superior to other races would have at best, gotten you ridiculed.

just about all major companies have a no sex/religion/politics policy...that isn't a Texas thing

you just don't discuss those things at the work place unless it is in private

NBA rookie of the year

Quote Originally Posted by ~primetime~
    just about all major companies have a no sex/religion/politics policy...that isn't a Texas thing

you just don't discuss those things at the work place unless it is in private
    True, but the conservative nature of texas plays a role.

I have been for the last year + on a secondment work term in my company's Vancouver office. (I wanted a chance to get experience with IFRS)

the people here are a lot more liberal.

Eg. I dont feel the need to pretend to be a christian here.

Obviously I am not stupid enough to express my views on male parental rights vs. female parental rights in public. Even here on ISH (99.99% male) most ppl disagree with me. I have even been called a sociopath in debates on that topic.
    Last edited by MavsSuperFan; 05-21-2014 at 01:38 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by MavsSuperFan
    True, but the conservative nature of texas plays a role.

I have been for the last year + on a secondment work term in my company's Vancouver office. (I wanted a chance to get experience with IFRS)

the people here are a lot more liberal.

Eg. I dont feel the need to pretend to be a christian here.

Obviously I am not stupid enough to express my views on male parental rights vs. female parental rights in public. Even here on ISH (99.99% male) most ppl disagree with me. I have even been called a sociopath in debates on that topic.
    I've lived in Texas my whole life and never felt the need to pretend I am Christian...although Dallas is "blue"

I really can't imagine having to do that anywhere though...:/...I guess if your boss is some hard core church goer and you want to play the part to get ahead...I still don't think I personally would do that though

Titles are overrated Kblaze8855's Avatar

Yea this is a whole other issue. Freedom of speech is not being allowed to say things those in power dont like. This is...being considered an idiot for an unpopular opinion. Which id call fine.

Quote Originally Posted by ~primetime~
    I've lived in Texas my whole life and never felt the need to pretend I am Christian...although Dallas is "blue"

I really can't imagine having to do that anywhere though...:/...I guess if your boss is some hard core church goer and you want to play the part to get ahead...I still don't think I personally would do that though
    Ehh, there are pockets of people in Dallas that I have run into that bristle at the notion you might be something other than their version of Jesus.

I find it far more in smaller cities and towns though.

In Tyler I was told multiple times by different people I was not a real Christian b/c I'm Catholic and often felt looked down on b/c of it. Tyler is heavily Baptist and is essentially run by Green Acres Baptist Church so what they preach tends to rule the prevailing attitudes there. I can't imagine how shitty it would be to look like you might be Arab, let alone a practicing Muslim, there. Hell, Tyler is where I learned that if a person says "Bless your heart" at the start of a sentence they are kind of insulting you b/c that was the general reaction I'd get from parents when they'd ask why I wasn't at a lock in or some shit.

I also got the you're not a Christian thing in College Station. That one was super funny to me b/c the guy was lamenting how hard it was to be a Christian vs a Catholic b/c of all the rules they have that we don't. I was like WTF? The dude was basically saying he wished he could be sinful Catholic like me. Never mind that he and his Jesus loving buddies were hard drinking, red neck, shit kicking, womanizers.

Hell, Tyler is where I learned that if a person says "Bless your heart" at the start of a sentence they are kind of insulting you b/c that was the general reaction I'd get from parents when they'd ask why I wasn't at a lock in or some shit.
    what the...:/

I was never part of any "church scene"...no church camp, no church lock in, no church anything. Neither were any of my friends for the most part. I just don't consider Dallas to be "churchy" at all really.

I do have some in-laws that are devote Christians, and I even have a one that is a minister, but they all know I am not Christian and they have no issues with it at all, they have never once even attempted to drag me in church.