Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345
    College superstar

Default Re: Quotes from Kareem's autobiography "Giant Steps"

Quote Originally Posted by fpliii
    p.323 (looking forward to 84-85, retirement, and mentoring James Worthy)
    Kareem said in this quote that he was hoping to retire in 1985. I wonder what was it that convinced him to stay until 1989. Did his performance in the '85 Finals convince him that he still had some more in the tank?

Quote Originally Posted by jlip
    Kareem said in this quote that he was hoping to retire in 1985. I wonder what was it that convinced him to stay until 1989. Did his performance in the '85 Finals convince him that he still had some more in the tank?
    Maybe. That would sure as hell more than convince me.

Quote Originally Posted by stanlove1111
    Those numbers don't lists defense. Walton was a better defender then Jabbar and I don't think anyone at the time would even argue about that.

Walton's passing was unreal at that time. Assists don't tell the whole story. His outlet passes led to many points that he didn't get assists for. He hit cutters to the basket constantly and many times he hit them for such easy layups that they had to be fouled. he doesn't get assists for that.

And if you watch the game 2 telecast they even talked about how the Lakers game plan was to stop Walton from hitting cutters constantly. In doing this you have to play off the guards which in turn gives them easier jump shots. There is no assist for that.

Rebounds you can't have it both ways. Walton had a better power forward who was a good rebounder which takes rebounds away from Walton.

I an not seeing either center outplayed the other..Thats pretty much how Jabbar saw it also.
    I'd say defensive-wise it was extremely close, I'd give it to Walton probably but he easily had more to work with. If the dpoy existed, Kareem would've definitely had 1 at that point and he'd go on to win more and imo Walton would've definitely got it in 1978 with Bobby Jones getting it in 1977. Now as for the stats, yea they never tell the whole story but Kareem trumps him by more than 1 bpg and you can also say Bill was playing to his level while Jabbar was elevating his, that helps. And again, Walton definitely had better teammates around, adding to that Kareem's 2 best teammates (out of 3) were injured and only Lucius was able to play in the 2 final games while not 100%.

Imho Walton is the greatest passing center ever. Sort of like Larry Bird at center, just a tremendous passer with extremely high IQ. Walton definitely takes that but Kareem's one of the greatest passing centers ever, let's not underrate.

Again, in my mind Kareem definitely outplayed Bill but Walton was also great, always really impactful and easily had more to work with.

Local High School Star

Quote Originally Posted by jlip
    I read something about Kareem having some finansial troubles during the 80s and that's the reason he prolonged his career.

Finished typing all of the quotes up. Enjoy!

bump

Banned

great shit, man.

Anything on his opinions on the newer players? i.e, Jordan, Bird, Barkley, anyone after he retired? It's always interesting to me what they think...

thanks fpliii ... great thread

greatest basketball player of all time

Very nice read.