Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Great college starter SyRyanYang's Avatar

Default MJ is not a better mid-range shooter because he's smarter, quicker and makes better

decisions.
    Quote Originally Posted by StateOfMind12
    So how does that make him a better mid-range shooter again?

Yeah, MJ had a higher TS and FG% but that's because he was the better decision maker and had a better shot selection, not because he was necessarily a better mid-range shooter.
    Great logic

Default Re: MJ is not a better mid-range shooter because he's smarter, quicker and makes better

Better than who? Brian Cardinal? Context, m'boy, context.

Default Re: MJ is not a better mid-range shooter because he's smarter, quicker and makes better

Quote Originally Posted by RRR3
    Better than who? Brian Cardinal? Context, m'boy, context.
    The Only one worth a comparison. Don't pretend you don't know who am I talking about

Quote Originally Posted by SyRyanYang
    The Only one worth a comparison. Don't pretend you don't know who am I talking about
    You're saying there's only one player in the history of the NBA worth comparing to Michael Jordan? That sounds like hyperbole to me.

You're saying there's only one player in the history of the NBA worth comparing to Michael Jordan? That sounds like hyperbole to me.
    lol mid-range wise. Why you keep quoting me out of context

lol mid-range wise. Why you keep quoting me out of context
    You're saying there's only one NBA player ever comparable to MJ in midrange shooting? That again sounds like hyperbole.

[IMG]http://i512.photobucket.com/albums/t321/zdog90210blog/my%20thoughts/*****20you20hilarious.jpg[/IMG]

You're saying there's only one NBA player ever comparable to MJ in midrange shooting? That again sounds like hyperbole.
    Anyone is comparable. But only a couple are close.

larry bird?

larry was probably better dude

Quote Originally Posted by ralph_i_el
    larry bird?

I don't like the idea of comparing players from different positions. I think Dirk is a great mid-range shooter too but I won't compare him to MJ

Good High School Starter Mach_3's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by ralph_i_el
    larry bird?

Larry was a better mid range shooter.

But back on topic part of the reason Michael was a better mid range shooter (then kobe) was because he was able to get better looks at the basket. He was a better shooter period from the midrange regardless though

Quote Originally Posted by Mach_3
    Larry was a better mid range shooter.

But back on topic part of the reason Michael was a better mid range shooter (then kobe) was because he was able to get better looks at the basket. He was a better shooter period from the midrange regardless though
    I disagree that Larry was better but it's debatable.

Good High School Starter Mach_3's Avatar

I disagree that Larry was better but it's debatable.
    Of course it is but you honestly can't go wrong with either one

I say Jordan is the better shooter simply because he had a better concentration and emotional control. Remember, when Jordan came into the league, he didn't care about shooting 3s, yet the 1st season where he decided to make it part of his game, rather than just shooting bailout ones (1989-90), he shot better than all off Kobe's 16 seasons, but one (2002-03). And I'm including Kobe's rookie year where he had the short line.

Jordan was always consider the better midrange shooter, so it didn't make sense about the 3 pointers until I started looking at the numbers. The more Jordan shoots, the better the rhythm, the less bailout 3 pointers.

Whenever Jordan took a significant amount like Kobe, or most players for that matter, their rhythm is better and their percentages goes up.
    Last edited by jstern; 10-18-2012 at 09:25 PM.

soundcloud.com/agua-1 andgar923's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by jstern
    I say Jordan is the better shooter simply because he had a better concentration and emotional control. Remember, when Jordan came into the league, he didn't care about shooting 3s, yet the 1st season where he decided to make it part of his game, rather than just shooting bailout ones (1989-90), he shot better than all off Kobe's 16 seasons, but one (2002-03). And I'm including Kobe's rookie year where he had the short line.

Like, Jordan was always consider the better midrange shooter, so it didn't make sense about the 3 pointers until I started looking at the numbers. The more Jordan shoots, the better the rhythm, the less bailout 3 pointers.

Whenever Jordan took a significant amount like Kobe, or most players for that matter, their rhythm is better and their percentages goes up.
    To be fair, MJ shot less 3pointers than Kobe.

But, I don't think the numbers will change dramatically. There's even some evidence that suggests that that the more 3s MJ takes per game, the better his efficiency is. I don't doubt that his efficiency would stay relatively the same if he shot as many as Kobe does.

The problem with Kobe isn't that he takes 3s, its the 'type' of 3s he takes. He forces too many bad shots.